Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2007 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

Aaron Jors
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

Im considering getting a Singh Ray Vari ND anyone have any experience using one of these?

Are there any negatives when comparing it to a standard ND Filter?

Oct 25, 2007 at 03:41 AM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

the only real downside is just getting used to it. it is not graduated in a precise way which with digital isn't really an issue in the first place. other than its cost which is pretty high for the convenience it does what it is supposed to do

J

Oct 25, 2007 at 04:29 AM
BeeMan458
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

"...other than its cost which is pretty high..."

And that folks is what's called an understatement.

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:50 AM
sperraglia
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

On a sunny day you see this beautiful stream and you want to slow the shutter to get a pleasing blur but the darn shutter speed just isn't slow enough - this filter saves the day! One of the few filters I would keep in the bag.

Oct 25, 2007 at 01:22 PM
ohenry
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

The variable ND is like having about 5 ND filters and not having to change them to figure out which one you really want to use. For shots of waterfalls and streams, it gives you a wide range of flexibility than standard ND filters cannot give you. Like a polarizer filter, the VND is a filter that is always in my bag when I'm out shooting.

Regarding cost...people on this forum advise others to purchase B+W UV filters that can cost upwards as much as $75 and do little for your photography. A B+W ND filter for 8 stops of light is about $140. Buy a 3 stop, 5 stop, and an 8 stop filter and you've spent about $300. If you shoot a lot of scenes that call for the need to reduce the amount of light entering your lens to obtain the exact aperture and shutter speed combination that you want to use to capture the scene as you visualize it, the cost of this filter is not an issue.

Oct 25, 2007 at 02:50 PM
PierreB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

The only negative with the Vari ND is that you cannot use a polarizer with it. As I understand it the Vari ND is, in fact, two circular polarizing filters mounted together so as you twist them, the amount of light passing through them changes. This means that you cannot pair up the Vari ND with a CP and for this reason I went for a set of Lee ND's. Not as convenient but at least I can use a CP at the same time.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pierre.

Oct 25, 2007 at 03:08 PM
FSJ_Guy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

And why couldn't you just buy TWO polarizers and call it a day?

Is the Singh Ray that much thinner?

Oct 25, 2007 at 03:34 PM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

I thought it's a circular and a linear polarizer in tandem? And i do remember some people trying this out and it working. Check the archives here.

Oct 25, 2007 at 03:46 PM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

Oops!! it is two circular polarizers. Apparently you could do this with two of them stacked but there are problems with internal reflections, which calls for better quality cpl's. I guess the cost of 2 B+W MC cpl's stacked comes close to the vari ND in price. It'll be intresting if some one can do this and post some examples. I would, but i use singh ray sprocket cpl's

Oct 25, 2007 at 03:56 PM
PierreB
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

I'm guessing that you could just buy two polarizers and acheive the same result. However, the overall thickness would affect the use of this combo on WA lenses.

Oct 25, 2007 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

i sold my VariND because i couldn't use it with a CPL. vignetting is a problem on wider lenses too, although i got mine before they had a narrow one.

Herb...

Oct 25, 2007 at 06:23 PM
Seth Tower
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

So, if it just two stacked polarizers, does is reduce reflections/boost color saturation like a single polarizer does, or do the two cancel out the effect?

Oct 25, 2007 at 09:11 PM
drewmerc

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

I used the Singh Ray Vari ND for the shot below. I love this filter, makes slow motion broad daylight shots very easy. the only downside is you have to sell your car to pay for it...

if the pic doesn't come out right there's a direct link to it here instead.

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1458261953&size=l&context=set-72157602198234584

Oct 26, 2007 at 12:24 AM
Aaron Jors
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

I didn't think of the polarizer dilemma. In regards to shooting water images does the vari nd help reduce reflections.

I can't imagine shooting waterfalls without a polarizer as it helps removes all reflection.

Oct 26, 2007 at 01:35 AM
BeeMan458
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

"It'll be intresting if some one can do this and post some examples."

FWIW, since I already had a CirPl, I bought a linear (it's done by marrying up a CP and a Linear) and married it up with the existing CP and it worked fine, to the tune of about five stops.

But so sorry, no pics or examples.

Personally, my opinion, if the money's there, the Singh-Ray is the way to go.

Oct 26, 2007 at 02:25 AM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

a CPL on top of the VariND filter has no effect other than to reduce the amount of light coming through. it has no effect on polarized reflections such as happens with wet rocks. same with the VariND. that is why i sold it. i use standard solid ND filters with a CPL because reflection control is way too important to give up.

Herb...

Aaron Jors wrote:
I didn't think of the polarizer dilemma. In regards to shooting water images does the vari nd help reduce reflections.

I can't imagine shooting waterfalls without a polarizer as it helps removes all reflection.

Oct 26, 2007 at 02:37 AM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

olks it is NOT just stacked CPL's. it is likely stacked CPL's but with a reversing ring between them to make a variable ND if you try this at home you end up spending as much and getting a clunkier, thicker less elegant gadget

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:20 AM
BeeMan458
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

"olks it is NOT just stacked CPL's."

That's what it is.

But it's a linear on top of a CP and all you need is the spinning ring of the CP.

If you already have the CP, then all you need to complete the deal is a linear polarizer.

"...less elegant gadget"

Don't know if I'd call it less elegant but it works.

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:26 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

If you use this filter, make sure you check the exposure after each shot. It can namely throw off your camera's light meter. Other than that, it works really well.

Oct 26, 2007 at 01:24 PM
Aaron Jors
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Singh Ray Vari ND??

Herb I agree if the vari nd does nothing to remove the reflections from water, rocks etc I couldn't imagine using. To me it essential to remove the reflections from these shots not just slow down the shutter speed.

Anyone else have any input on the effect the vari nd has with reflections?

HerbChong wrote:
a CPL on top of the VariND filter has no effect other than to reduce the amount of light coming through. it has no effect on polarized reflections such as happens with wet rocks. same with the VariND. that is why i sold it. i use standard solid ND filters with a CPL because reflection control is way too important to give up.

Herb...

Oct 26, 2007 at 05:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password