New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

Brody LeBlanc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

Carl Zeiss MC 35mm f/2.4 FLEKTOGON, but I'm wondering what people think about this lens? has anyone used it on the Canon 30D with an adapter? and another question, what's a good M42 adapter for Canon cameras? if you don't recommend this lens, what would be a good old 35mm lens for the 30D? I've used Canon's mid-range and wide angle "prime" lenses before and i haven't been all that impressed with them. so I'm looking for some old primes that range from i'd say 35mm to 60mm? this whole market is completely new to me, so some advice would be awesome.

Oct 24, 2007 at 03:50 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

Well, I really love this lens. I have it in the M42 mount and use it on my 5D. I thought the "Praktica" designation of the same lens(mine reads Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon only) was for a different mount, not M42. A Praktica B or Bayonet mount perhaps. Plenty of 100% crops posted over at the DPP vs ACR Raw converter thread as I used this lens for those photos of the Ship and Tugboat.

Oct 24, 2007 at 04:05 AM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

yeah, i was trying to figure the prakticar thing out. it's the same lens with a different mounting system. I think the Flektogon means its the M42 screw mount, and Prakticar means it's for the Praktica mount. So this lens doesn't actually say "Flektogon" on it. Just Praktica.

Oct 24, 2007 at 03:23 PM
TeamSK jay
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

Some links for you:
http://www.praktica-users.com/lens.html
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70506
http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/
http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

Oct 24, 2007 at 04:25 PM
eosslr
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

Flektogon is the design name for wide angle lenses that CZJ used before merging with CZ (similar to CZ using Distagon as a name for wide angles). The 35mm version you're talking about was available in two variants: 2.8 (older) and 2.4 (newer). Was available in 2 mounts - M42 and B (Practicar). You can easily distinguish M42 mount - it's just a screw-in type. The lens has pretty good overall characteristics - I tested it some time ago and here's a link if you're interested: http://slrlensreview.com/content/view/396/93/

Oct 24, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Daniel Goller
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

can anyone make sense of the serial numbers? there seems to be quite a huge difference (in the 10s of thousands and 10 million range?)
i have a Flektogon with a very low serial shipping to me (black body with "MC", if that means anything, it's mentioned in one of the links jay posted)

Oct 26, 2007 at 03:03 AM
eosslr
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

MC simply means multi-coated as opposed to older models that were single coated. All 2.4 variants of Flektogon 35mm are MC. I don't know for sure the story behind serial numbers but speculate that they reflect two types of lenses - ones that were manufactured for local Eastern European markets (with longer serial numbers) and ones manufactured for export to the West (with shorter numbers). But this is just a speculation....

Oct 26, 2007 at 03:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

eosslr wrote:
MC simply means multi-coated as opposed to older models that were single coated. All 2.4 variants of Flektogon 35mm are MC. I don't know for sure the story behind serial numbers but speculate that they reflect two types of lenses - ones that were manufactured for local Eastern European markets (with longer serial numbers) and ones manufactured for export to the West (with shorter numbers). But this is just a speculation....

Thats an interesting hypothesis about the serial numbers. If true, then the question arises if the versions destined for export to the West went through extra quality control. I seem to have heard this about other gear from Eastern European countries marked for export.

Oct 26, 2007 at 03:30 AM
Daniel Goller
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

I'd like the speculation to be true, seeing how mine has a shorter number
Ok, now i am extra curious to see what i get when the post man commeth.

Thanks eosslr

Oct 26, 2007 at 03:33 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

Daniel Goller wrote:
I'd like the speculation to be true, seeing how mine has a shorter number
Ok, now i am extra curious to see what i get when the post man commeth.

Thanks eosslr

Mine also has a very low serial number and on my 5D performs somewhat better then what eoosir found in his review of a very high serial number lens.

Oct 26, 2007 at 03:45 AM
Daniel Goller
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

I was only able to take some ISO1600 shots indoors (where i have nothing but 2800K CFLs) i like those first impressions it gave me, but nothing like going outside using a lens. Will take this 57XXX serial number lens outside hopefully sunday :/

From what i can see so far...i will have this lens on the camera a lot.

Oct 27, 2007 at 03:33 AM
Daniel Goller
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

http://www.zerorealm.org/burg/

The round tower is about .530" in diameter, square one .430"

Oct 28, 2007 at 01:09 AM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carl Zeiss Jena PRAKTICAR MC 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon

i just got my lens in today. it's so sharp it hurts my eyes.

Oct 31, 2007 at 03:26 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password