Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

Roy Pertchik
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

I want to use this set up:

17-40 Canon zoom, set at 17mm on full frame (5D)

77 wide angle Lee adapter ring, to mount a...

Lee "foundation" filter holder (for 4" filters) with a square GND filter, and

A front mounted Lee 105mm round adapter with a 105mm Circular Polarizer mounted (I prefer a non slim if possible, to hold a lens cap. I'm looking at the Heliopan, because it's multicoated.)

That's the set up. Does it vignette?

Oct 03, 2007 at 07:17 PM
John Bock
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

Probably not, but you'll need a crane to lift it.

Oct 03, 2007 at 07:38 PM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

Ha! No, the rig will be for tripod mounted landscape work. Anyone use this set up?

Oct 03, 2007 at 07:43 PM
floris
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

I just put a 77mm polarizer between the 77mm Lee (wide version ring), seems to work fine for me. If it vignettes, it's probably most obvious in the sky at 17mm, in which case I shouldnt be using the polarizer anyways. Small amounts of vignetting isn't too hard to fix in post either.

Do you really need a GND? I only use my Lee for solid ND's, everything else can be done in PS with bracketing (unless you have subjects that move that cross between the light and dark areas).

Oct 03, 2007 at 11:26 PM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

What are the dual CPL's for?

Oct 04, 2007 at 12:16 AM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

Ariel, one circ pol for reflections, one graduated neutral density to bring the sky down 2 stops.

Floris, good tip, if the vignetting is not an issue. I forgot a normal thickness 77mm CPL has threads on the front... I have one I can try that with, but I think the front threads may have a problem from a dent.... But, I went shooting last weekend with a serious landscape shooter who strongly recommended a GND because animals and leaves move. I tried it and also used careful tripod technique and got some very sharp images, so l'm kinda hooked.

Oct 04, 2007 at 07:05 AM
Jamie Large

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

Roy,

I need to answer the same question.

If you haven't tried Floris' suggestion yet, I recently tried this with a screw on CPL and Lee WA kit on my 5D with the 17-40 L. The result being that using a 77mm Kenko screw on CPL causes with the Lee WA adaptor on the front to vignette alot between about 17 and 21mm. Unfortunately it is actually the adaptor ring vignetting and not the filter holder slots, so doesn't matter if you rotate the holder or reduce the slots in number either.

I have read elsewhere that the Lee holder (when using only 1 slot max) on a WA adaptor, allows the use of the Lee front mount CPL holder and heliopan CPL at 17mm without vignetting on a full frame camera. BUT this was from the internet, so I'm yet to be convinced to spend out on the Lee CPL holder and heliopan.

The other option I've considered is the 4x4 (100x100) square Lee CPL. Its not really designed for Landscape or where grads are used at the same time, because it can't rotate independently to them for the adjustment. The answer would be to get the Lee upgrade kit, to give you the independant adjustment. Having said this, I think that the upgrade kit would then cause vignetting itself!

I'll probably have to bite the bullet and try the heliopan method.

HTH

Edited by Jamie Large on Oct 05, 2007 at 08:05 PM GMT

Oct 05, 2007 at 02:27 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

Roy Pertchik wrote:
I want to use this set up:

17-40 Canon zoom, set at 17mm on full frame (5D)

77 wide angle Lee adapter ring, to mount a...

Lee "foundation" filter holder (for 4" filters) with a square GND filter, and

A front mounted Lee 105mm round adapter with a 105mm Circular Polarizer mounted (I prefer a non slim if possible, to hold a lens cap. I'm looking at the Heliopan, because it's multicoated.)

That's the set up. Does it vignette?

Hi Roy,

I have this set up. I use the Lee foundation kit (can hold 3 grads although I slimmed it down to 2 because I never use more than 2) and I got the circular adapter that goes in front of this. I also have the Heliopan 105mm polarizer. Funny. However, I shoot with a 20d, so I'm not full frame yet (I plan to get the new FF 1Ds when available.). I've shot with this for over 2 years. It's not heavy and it's very quick to slide the resin filters in and out as needed for shtos. I really like it. I cannot speak for FF vignetting, although I can say that I think a cir. polarizer on the lens and then the Lee kit on top of that would sound like it'd be more likely to cause vignetting. I'll post a picture of my setup when I get off work and home tonight sometime. I really like this setup.

Gordon

Oct 05, 2007 at 03:03 PM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

Thanks Jamie, thanks Gordon. I look forward to seeing a pic of the set up, Gordon, if you get the chance.

Oct 05, 2007 at 05:11 PM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

I tried using a B+W Kaesemann CPL on the 17-40L/5D, with the Lee holder and wide adapter ring screwed into the filter. It was a little difficult to adjust the CPL when all was said and done, and I also had some vignetting caused by the filter slots. I say filter slots since after I removed two of the three slots, the vignetting went away. I have not tried it yet with a second filter slot. Needless to say, I found the urge to spend some more cash and sprung for the Lee 105mm CPL and the mounting ring. Adorama was the only reputable dealer that had it in stock, and naturally they're closed for religious observances. They do promise that they will make all shipments on 10/8 and guarantee delivery by 10/12, at their extra expense. We'll see...I'm leaving for nine days in the southwest on 10/13, so hopefully it'll make it here before I leave.

Oct 05, 2007 at 05:45 PM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

Well, I dug out my B&W CP, regular thickness, and did a test. I hadn't tried it with the Lee filter holder before because the front ring of the CP was dented from a fall and wouldn't thread the Lee adapter ring. But after reading that some of you have been able to use a normal CP with the Lee, using a WA adapter, I was encouraged. With nothing else to do tonight, I used a hammer and a small metal rod to direct the blow, and managed to bang out the dent sufficiently for the CP to accept the Lee WA adapter. So I set it up; 17-40, B&W normal CP, Lee 77mm WA adapter, Lee holder (reduced to one slot) and GND.

The verdict: there is only a tiny, tiny vignette in a smidgen of the corners... negligible. It's from the WA ring, not the holder, so I could try adding a slot or two back, but I have no reason to because the GND filter is the only one I have or want to use in the Lee. Anyway, Whehoooo!!!! It is a little tricky to level the Lee w/ GND after the CP is set; I have to get the tip of my finger on the CP within the WA adapter, to keep the CP from tuning out of adjustment while I revolve the Lee stuff... but thats a small inconvenience to save the almost $400 it would cost to get a 105 MRC CP and the 105 ring.... Whehoooo!!!

Thanks everybody, for your comments on this arcane issue.

Oct 05, 2007 at 09:38 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 17-40 & LEE holder w/ 105 CircP..

moved to the appropriate forum.

Oct 05, 2007 at 09:46 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.