Edited by 1_of_9 on Sep 29, 2007 at 08:37 AM GMT

Edited by 1_of_9 on Sep 30, 2007 at 07:10 PM GMT

Edited by 1_of_9 on Sep 30, 2007 at 07:13 PM GMT

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:16 PM
Vipermike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #266: Fire and Ice

That's hot! I mean so cool! I mean, great shot Jim!

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:20 AM
einarps
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #266: Fire and Ice

Great idea and nicely shot.

Sep 29, 2007 at 03:17 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #266: Fire and Ice

Thanks Mike and Einar for the comments. I will likely revisit this, because it isn't quite what I envisaged. I had to stop due to fumes getting too strong in my studio. On a side note..I have had a lot of trouble logging into FM this last week. Every morning the site is not accessible, but by afternoon it is. Secondly, my WA last week never did show up in the thumbnails, and I don't know if it was even considered by Fred. Yet again, this WA is not showing up in the thumbnail view of all entrants. I am going to switch hosts for this photo, and link it to my FM gallery instead...it seems the ones that do show up are hosted locally on FM. It's a theory anyway...

Sep 29, 2007 at 08:33 AM
Karen Gilligan
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #266: Fire and Ice

COOL! Great capture. Bet this one was shot quickly. great color in the fire. Good Luck.

Karen

Sep 29, 2007 at 08:49 AM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #266: Fire and Ice

Interesting shot!
I uploaded a preliminary image for the WA a couple of days ago... the next morning the entire post was gone.
Other than that, my images have always shown up fine in the thumbnails - and I do not have a gallery here at FM.
Good luck,
~ Carrol

Sep 29, 2007 at 08:58 AM
Jazno
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #266: Fire and Ice

1_of_9 wrote:
On a side note..I have had a lot of trouble logging into FM this last week. Every morning the site is not accessible, but by afternoon it is.

There have been quite a few issues lately, Fred had a hard drive crash, followed by server issues I believe. Anyway, I think things are getting slowly corrected.

Secondly, my WA last week never did show up in the thumbnails, and I don't know if it was even considered by Fred. Yet again, this WA is not showing up in the thumbnail view of all entrants. I am going to switch hosts for this photo, and link it to my FM gallery instead...it seems the ones that do show up are hosted locally on FM. It's a theory anyway...

I did some checking yesterday and came to the same conclusion you did, only photos uploaded via image upload are showing. Hopefully Fred is still choosing finalists even if they aren't on the thumbnails page...

To Carrol: Carrol wrote:
I uploaded a preliminary image for the WA a couple of days ago... the next morning the entire post was gone.

I happened to see your posting the other day, and it had gotten merged with another thread (forum glitch, happens occasionally) When this happens two title postings get put one on top of the other. My guess is that the other poster deleted his thread, hence your own thread's disappearance.

Back to your photo, Jim: Beautifully executed, very exciting. I like the fluidity of both the ice and the fire.

Cheers,
Jason

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:50 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #266: Fire and Ice

Karen, Carrol, and Jason...thanks for the comments. This one (I re-shot it today) is more like I had intended to do the first time. Hope you all like it.

Sep 30, 2007 at 07:16 PM
sebrock

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #266: Fire and Ice

Great shot!!

Sep 30, 2007 at 07:20 PM
azolotko

[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #266: Fire and Ice

Hey Jim,

I'm speechless. Would you mind sharing how you lit the ice? The lighting on it is very consistent, smooth, yet crisp.

What did you burn for the flames? I used rubbing alcohol, but the flames I got have a slightly different shape.

As you may have already noticed, I pursued a similar theme for my entry. After seeing yours, though, I hesitated to post. Your shot is fabulous, you have my vote.

-a

Sep 30, 2007 at 08:18 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #266: Fire and Ice

Anton, I used two strobes to light the shot. I put an AB400 (Alien Bee) above and slightly behind the shot using a home made cone of roof flashing, and a 20 degree honeycomb (on a boom)...and a very low power setting. The main was an AB 800 in a 32" x 42' soft box on a low setting as well. I too used rubbing alcohol, but found that I needed to use much more than I had anticipated. (3-4 cap fulls). It was a dilemma...alcohol too close to the ice...ice melts and dilutes the alcohol putting out the fire. I ended up using the dry ice in the center (out of view in the shot) within the pile of ice to slow the melting so I could have the two combined. That led to the ice changing color, because it picks up the color of the flame.

Thanks for the wonderful compliments.

Sep 30, 2007 at 08:50 PM
DonT
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #266: Fire and Ice

Jim,

Great job on this one and defiantly worth the time to re-shot. Good luck!

Oct 01, 2007 at 10:35 AM
Jazno
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #266: Fire and Ice

I thought your original was good, but this is ten times better. Nicely done Jim!

Jason

Oct 01, 2007 at 12:13 PM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #266: Fire and Ice

I have been away for a long time now and I miss it. I connected from out of town and I saw this and all I can say is WOW! Love this one. I need to get back soon.

Steve

Oct 02, 2007 at 01:08 AM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #266: Fire and Ice

I thought your first shot looked a little dangerous - hope you had the fire extinguisher at the ready. This is even better than first one and looks like a winner to me.

Oct 02, 2007 at 02:16 AM
Howard A-J

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #266: Fire and Ice

Fantastic idea..... what did you use petrol / gasoline or something else?
Love the effect and a great shot.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers
H

Oct 02, 2007 at 06:27 AM
Pete Kruse
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #266: Fire and Ice

Nice idea and composition! Pete

Oct 02, 2007 at 03:57 PM
Karen Gilligan
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #266: Fire and Ice

Jim,

Life has gotten in the way of my fun this week and I have had no time but had to stop back by your shot and see what you had done. WOW and WOW again. I am speachless. What a shot. I know we will be voting on this one.

Karen

Oct 02, 2007 at 05:10 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #266: Fire and Ice

Fantastic shot, Jim, my friend! I think it will be the winner! As usual, great work. I was so late in giving my comments and posting my photo that I missed the deadline altogether. What a drag. Too busy these days...

Fond regards,

Endre

Oct 03, 2007 at 02:31 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #266: Fire and Ice

sebrock, Don, Jason, Steven, Bill, Howard, Pete, Karen, and Endre...I really appreciate all the wonderful comments. Thank you!

Oct 03, 2007 at 06:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.