Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · Medium format to EF mount t/s adapter?

anthjbell

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Medium format to EF mount t/s adapter?

As a medium format lens obviously has a much larger image circle than a typical lens for 35mm format, I was wondering if there are adapters with integrated movements. I'm not sure if such a beast exists, but would be interested know. If so, can this be an economical route to trying out a t/s lens?

Thanks,

Anthony

Sep 15, 2007 at 05:33 AM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Medium format to EF mount t/s adapter?

anthjbell wrote:
As a medium format lens obviously has a much larger image circle than a typical lens for 35mm format, I was wondering if there are adapters with integrated movements. I'm not sure if such a beast exists, but would be interested know. If so, can this be an economical route to trying out a t/s lens?

Thanks,

Anthony

I've seen them with shift movements, and I'm pretty sure I've seen them with tilt too...don't think I've seen one that does both though. See my post below about using Penticon 6 lenses...there's a bunch of shift adapters available for them. There are also some Russian T/S lenses that are a lot cheaper than say a TSE from Canon. I'm sure someone here knows what all is available, but in the mean time you might search ePay for "eos adapter" and see what there is.

Sep 15, 2007 at 05:55 AM
casuaris
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Medium format to EF mount t/s adapter?

Anthony,

Check http://www.zoerk.com/

Sep 15, 2007 at 06:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Medium format to EF mount t/s adapter?

I've just picked up a Pentacon 6 to EOS tilt adapter, and a Mamiya 645 to EOS shift adapter, both from eBay. I'm in the process of converting the Pentacon 6 (P6) to accept Hasselblad C 500-series lenses (HC), and I also have a HC to M645 adapter on the way. I have a Mamiya 645 35/3.5 lens that will get used on the shift adapter for perspective control, and a few P6 and HC lenses that will fit on both the shift and tilt adapters, although I think the tilt will be most valuable for normal and short telephotos. I''ve been too busy travelling and working on my full time job to do anything more than a bit of playing with this new gear, so I hope to make real progress through the fall.

No, I don't have GAS - honest, at least not if you accept my logic. I lost the tilt/shift capability when I sold my LF gear, and I want it back for: (i) perspective control for 35mm and 50mm architecture photos (wider would be nice, but you can't get a wider rectilinear MF lens); and, (ii) plane of focus tilt for "product" photos with normal and short tele lenses (the wider angle lenses have sufficient DOF so that tilt is not so important). I figure the larger image circles of the MF lenses will avoid shift vignetting, plus I can buy a handful of these lenses for less than a pro 35mm T&S lens. Of course, many of the MF lenses don't have resolution as good as the really good 35mm lenses, but I have high hopes for the Hasselblad Planar 80/2.8, so I will be most interested to see if it has much CA when tilted. I'l also compare my M645 35/3.5 (and perhaps a Pentax 645-A 35/3.5) and the Zeiss Jena P6 50mm & 80mm lenses with some of the 35mm competition.

Here's a photo of a Pentacon 6 Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon MC 50mm f/4 on an EOS 5D, with a Pentacon 6 to EOS Tilt adapter from eBay member sellbuyown1959 (no relation to me), tilted to the max. angle of 8 degrees; in this case, it's tilted down.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Medium format to EF mount t/s adapter?

...and here's a Mamiya 645 35mm f/3.5 on an EOS 5D, with a shift adapter from eBay member grizzly33bear (no relation to me), shifted to the max. of 11mm; in this case, it's shifted up. This is the first time I've mounted this shift adapter (it arrived this past week while I was away), so I'm a bit peeved to find that the shift knob won't quite fit under the finder bulge of the 5D, but it does fit (just barely) on the 30D. OTOH, when shifting upwards (knob at the bottom), the 5D can use the full 11mm of shift, but the lens lockpin release spring hits the flash overhang on the 30D, so you can only use about 9mm of up shift - go figure!

Both the tilt and shift adapters are a bit of a pain to mount and especially dismount, as there is only a slender inner-ring that is connected to the EOS (or EF) mount itself; the next ring out rotates freely to allow you to change the direction of tilt or shift. So, you have to grip this slender inner-most ring to rotate the adapter when putting it on and taking it off the camera. Oh well, only time and photography will tell if this is a worthwhile way to go for me.

P.S. I also posted a photo on the Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses? thread.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:33 PM
jacobsen1
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Medium format to EF mount t/s adapter?

jcolwell wrote:
...and here's a Mamiya 645 35mm f/3.5 on an EOS 5D, with a shift adapter from eBay member grizzly33bear (no relation to me), shifted to the max. of 11mm;

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/message.php?Action=downloadfile&FileID=211455

that just looks so sexy....

any ideas as to which is sharper, a mamiya or pentax 645 lens? I'd prefer to get the mamiyas at this point because they seem to have more people making shift adapters for them... (like the russian one you have). They also have the zoerk. Pentax seems to only have the zeork option and not much else.

Sep 26, 2007 at 08:39 PM
hubsand
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Medium format to EF mount t/s adapter?

The cheapest and easiest way to use Pentax 645 mount lenses on a Canon is the Zörk. Mamiya 645 and Pentacon lenses (not Pentax, sadly) can be used via the cut-price Canon adaptors, but they aren't the last word in build quality. The only other option is the Horseman LD for Pentax 645 users.

All the currently available options to use medium format lenses on DLSR bodies are summarised here:

http://www.stitchpix.com/options.html

The 35mm Pentax FA lens is much better than the Mamiya equivalent (see here: http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/pentax645_fa35mm.html

There are three Mamiya lenses that ace the Pentax range: the 24mm fisheye, the new 28mm, and the 50mm shift. In just about every other case the Pentax 645 version is a little better in my experience.

Sep 26, 2007 at 08:47 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password