Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

Scott Clark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

Hey guys,
I've seen EOS/Pentacon 6 adapters for sale, and I was just wondering if anyone here uses this setup. If you do, could you post pics of it? Looking at the adapter, it looks pretty big. Any favorite lenses in this mount? Seems like there are some decent deals on them, but I'd be curious to see some test shots.
Anyone?

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:07 PM
hubsand
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

I think P6 lenses are about the biggest bargain around. I've a spare Zörk P6-EOS adaptor on the shelf if you need one: it's a much better unit than the Russian/Ukrainian versions that do the rounds. All the Biometar lenses are great, as is the 180/2.8 Sonnar and Arsat 55PC. I've lots of test files shot on the 1Ds, 5D and Mamiya ZD.

The lenses are cheap enough to buy a couple and keep the best one: samples do vary, but find a good one and you've got a lens you can keep for life.

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:51 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

hubsand wrote:
I think P6 lenses are about the biggest bargain around. I've a spare Zörk P6-EOS adaptor on the shelf if you need one: it's a much better unit than the Russian/Ukrainian versions that do the rounds. All the Biometar lenses are great, as is the 180/2.8 Sonnar and Arsat 55PC. I've lots of test files shot on the 1Ds, 5D and Mamiya ZD.

The lenses are cheap enough to buy a couple and keep the best one: samples do vary, but find a good one and you've got a lens you can keep for life.

Send you a PM. I've been looking at the Biometars, and the Flektogon 50mm. They look like nice lenses...do you have any galleries with test shots? Seems like you'd be using the sweet spot on these lenses even with a FF camera body, so they should shoot pretty sharp (I would think). Prices definetly seem pretty good.

Sep 14, 2007 at 01:02 PM
robsteve
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

hubsand wrote:

What is the best source for the 55PC lens?

Have you used the 55mm with a tilt adapter as well?

Sep 14, 2007 at 01:53 PM
hubsand
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

I've ordered from Arax, Hartblei and DVD Technik in the past and had pretty good experiences with all of them, despite initial trepidation. Prices reflect a lack of demand on their native mount. Great!

The Flek 50 is perhaps the most afflicted with sample variation, but a good one really is a gem. Unlike the 35mm adaptors, there is a big difference between a cheap one and a precision unit. I'm very impressed by the Zörk P6 adaptor, but it's $190 plus shipping from Germany.

Sep 14, 2007 at 02:09 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

The CZ Jena P6 180/2.8 is a great sharp lens with bokeh to die for, but it IS a monster.
http://i.pbase.com/g2/63/551663/2/65898387.Ixe2GBjL.jpg
http://k53.pbase.com/g2/63/551663/2/65893410.21pkgLCs.jpg
http://i.pbase.com/g2/63/551663/2/65833541.4zH3ldOi.jpg
Mike
And incidentally I bought my copy from Mark (Hubsand)

Sep 14, 2007 at 09:09 PM
Sahid Limon
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

Anyone know any good places to get some of these old P6 lenses besides the ebay? I'm currently looking for a good condition CZ jenna 120mm biometer.

Also, what is the main difference in the Zörk P6-EOS adaptor and the "others" that are being sold?

Sep 15, 2007 at 01:04 AM
hubsand
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

I'm seeking another CZ120 and CZ180 myself: I'll let you know if I find a good source!

The Russian P6-EOS adaptors are OK, and cheap, but with several I've had to take the Dremel to them before I could mount a lens. There is often a little play in the Canon mount and the whole thing just feels a bit lightweight and badly machined. The Zörk unit is smooth, rock solid and just in a different league, though it is badly overpriced. I've a spare for sale at half new price if anyone's interested . . . must post something in the B+S.

Sep 15, 2007 at 03:27 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

I'm starting to use a few Pentacon 6 and other MF lenses on my 5D. Here's a photo of a Pentacon 6 Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon MC 50mm f/4 on an EOS 5D (it's a big lens, 86mm front filter thread). I also posted some comments and photos on a Pentacon 6 tilt adapter and a Mamiya 645 shift adapter on the thread Medium format to EF mount t/s adapter?.

The lens in this photo is shifted 11mm upwards using a P6 to M645 adapter on a M645 to EOS Shift adapter.

Sep 15, 2007 at 07:38 AM
jasperAmsterda

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

i also have one shift p6-eos adapter laying around, i still did not take the plunge and bought a p6 lens to go with it, i'm thinking a biometar 80mm would give me a nice setup for productshots (maybe add a tube for closer focussing, is this possible with a shift adapter) and pano's
This would create a poormans 90 tse, except for the lack of tilt..
Anyone ones similar setup?
I would would love the see some sampleshots!

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:05 AM
walshy64

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

Hi This is my first post so hello.... got that out of the way.

I use the 180/2.8 P6 Zeiss and love it.I'd like mention if you tape the contacts up on the EF 1.4 or 2X teleconverter's that works very well also.These samples are without the teleconverter.

A few shots here for your consideration.

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:04 AM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

walshy64 wrote:
Hi This is my first post so hello.... got that out of the way.

I use the 180/2.8 P6 Zeiss and love it.I'd like mention if you tape the contacts up on the EF 1.4 or 2X teleconverter's that works very well also.These samples are without the teleconverter.

Is that the MC Sonnar 180/2.8? A little spendy, but a nice looking lens. Looks sharp...I like the bokeh.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:01 AM
walshy64

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

Scott Clark wrote:
Is that the MC Sonnar 180/2.8? A little spendy, but a nice looking lens. Looks sharp...I like the bokeh.

The pigeon shot had some long grasses radiating outward in different directions. The slight wind was wafting these about causing some unusual effects. Still it’s a great lens but a brute to carry. Also needs the hood to pop the contrast.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

Hi walshy64,

Welcome. Nice shots; sharp and with great colour, although, you should understand that I don't like pigeons very much (this is an understatement - the phrase "winged rats" comes to mind), but you've posted a shot that makes me feel that I could get to like the... no, sorry, I can't do it - probably has something to do with all of the pigeon poop on my window sill at work.

Jim

Sep 19, 2007 at 07:38 PM
walshy64

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone use Pentacon 6 lenses?

jcolwell wrote:
Hi walshy64,

Welcome. Nice shots; sharp and with great colour, although, you should understand that I don't like pigeons very much (this is an understatement - the phrase "winged rats" comes to mind), but you've posted a shot that makes me feel that I could get to like the... no, sorry, I can't do it - probably has something to do with all of the pigeon poop on my window sill at work.

Jim

No I'm not a pigeon lover either. For every shot that's sharp i have at least 2 that aren't. I like to bracket my shots just to be on the safe side.Also I would like to add that I've two P6 - EOS adapters that are both 'slack' on the camera body. This adds to annoyance when critically focusing.The 180/2.8 is not smooth either.Convert the P6 to M42 the go from there...

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.