Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA RulesCurrent entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2007 · #264: Ride Hard!

Vipermike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · #264: Ride Hard!

Have a great week!

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:38 AM
FJR1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · #264: Ride Hard!

Yet another "set the bar high" first entry of the week, Mike. Lighting and smoke are great.--Frank

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:20 AM
Adam Woodyatt
• • •
p.1 #3 · #264: Ride Hard!

Love it, should be a product shot for Scott.
Nuf said.
Ad

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:11 PM
Carolyn1250
• • •
p.1 #4 · #264: Ride Hard!

Very cool shot Mike. I suppose many people know this already, but I'm a newbie to the POTW ... do you care to share any of your lighting ideas and/or camera equipment used for this and the last few shots. The lighting and such is similar, and beautiful in all.

I understand if these are closely-guarded trade secrets dissemitation which is punishable by many dollars (I'm a lawyer), but any information would be great.

Thanks for setting the bar high ... the way we all improve.

Carolyn

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:47 PM
Patricia March
• • •
p.1 #5 · #264: Ride Hard!

Unbelievable!!!! Nothing else to say! I'll be waiting to see if your share your set-up.

You have my Vote!

All the best
Patty

Sep 14, 2007 at 02:17 PM
MarcR
• • •
p.1 #6 · #264: Ride Hard!

There's a dust speck in the background (what else can I say?)

Love it. the smoke is just awesome. How did you do that?

Marc.

Sep 14, 2007 at 04:07 PM
DonT
• • •
p.1 #7 · #264: Ride Hard!

Nice lighting and control on the helmet highlights and that smoking pair of gloves is over the top. This is going to be an interesting WA.

Sep 14, 2007 at 04:40 PM
andreaplanet
• •
p.1 #8 · #264: Ride Hard!

really perfect work. my compliments

but in my personal taste the background light is too strong. I ask myself "why is that light there".

Sep 14, 2007 at 07:57 PM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · #264: Ride Hard!

This is real hot Mike - OK, I give in.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:03 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #10 · #264: Ride Hard!

FJR1 wrote:
Yet another "set the bar high" first entry of the week, Mike. Lighting and smoke are great.--Frank

Thanks Frank! I know the bar will get even higher. As DonT said, "This is going to be an interesting WA." fun, fun!

Sep 15, 2007 at 01:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #11 · #264: Ride Hard!

Adam Woodyatt wrote:
Love it, should be a product shot for Scott.
Nuf said.
Ad

Thanks Adam! I really appreciate that my friend. Hey do you think I should try another shot with mud flung on the helmet? Your comment made me think of this. It seems almost too clean. Ya think? It may tighten up the message.

Sep 15, 2007 at 01:49 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #12 · #264: Ride Hard!

Carolyn1250 wrote:
Very cool shot Mike. I suppose many people know this already, but I'm a newbie to the POTW ... do you care to share any of your lighting ideas and/or camera equipment used for this and the last few shots. The lighting and such is similar, and beautiful in all.

I understand if these are closely-guarded trade secrets dissemitation which is punishable by many dollars (I'm a lawyer), but any information would be great.

Thanks for setting the bar high ... the way we all improve.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, Thank you for those kind words. First I would like to say the "bar" is relative to all of us individually. I myself feel I have a long way to go with my work. I am learning as well. I can only get better by doing. Shooting with you guys helps me do that. In some ways I wish there were no winners or finals. It is really all subjective. Then again, I think we all tend to push harder when faced with friendly competition ( I'll get you Endre! ) and this is a good thing.

As far as lighting and setup..., well to be honest with you Carolyn, I'm sorry to say there is no secret I wish there were. Every shot I take is different. I use simple lighting because I do not have any high-end lights, reflectors, soft-boxes, off camera flashes, etc. That is not to say I would not use them. but for now a piece of poster board as a reflector, a piece of plain printer paper over the hood of a desk lamp for a diffuse box, and old sheets as backdrops will have to due for my inside shots. I never know what is going to work best to achieve what I will be happy with or if it will even work. Every shot has a life of it's own and yours will too. This scene is light by one 100w bulb behind the helmet. Because the helmet shot straight on does not have many outlining characteristics I decided to reflect back some of the light. Right now my photo gear is limited to my Nikon D80, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and a Bogan Manfroto tripod with a ball head.

Hope this helped at least a little. Looking forward to your entry.

Sep 15, 2007 at 02:57 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #13 · #264: Ride Hard!

Patricia March wrote:
Unbelievable!!!! Nothing else to say! I'll be waiting to see if your share your set-up.

You have my Vote!

All the best
Patty

Hey Patty! Thank you very much. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Clever girl

Sep 15, 2007 at 03:03 AM
Jazno
• • • •
p.1 #14 · #264: Ride Hard!

Well done Mike, you blow our minds once again. And I see that your lighting setup is as inexpensively done as most of ours, so we don't even have an excuse for lousy images!

Jason

Sep 15, 2007 at 03:06 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #15 · #264: Ride Hard!

MarcR wrote:
There's a dust speck in the background (what else can I say?)

Love it. the smoke is just awesome. How did you do that?

Marc.

Hey Marc, Thanks!! and thanks for pointing out the not artistically intended Zen speck I cloned it out. It was late and I did not do a spot check. Thanks again.

I blew smoke through a straw slowly onto the glove and stepped back "slowly" as the 15 sec timer on the camera counted down.

Sep 15, 2007 at 03:09 AM
hhski
• • • •
p.1 #16 · #264: Ride Hard!

Vipermike wrote:
Thanks Adam! I really appreciate that my friend. Hey do you think I should try another shot with mud flung on the helmet? Your comment made me think of this. It seems almost too clean. Ya think? It may tighten up the message.

I saw this and thought why bother? It to me was perfect. Reading this (mud) makes the image fit the title even better. Another great entry!!!

Sep 15, 2007 at 03:09 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #17 · #264: Ride Hard!

DonT wrote:
Nice lighting and control on the helmet highlights and that smoking pair of gloves is over the top. This is going to be an interesting WA.

Thanks Don!! Ya, I can't wait to see the entries this week. I like when the WA is a bit more open topic.

Sep 15, 2007 at 03:12 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #18 · #264: Ride Hard!

andreaplanet wrote:
really perfect work. my compliments

but in my personal taste the background light is too strong. I ask myself "why is that light there".

Andrea, Thank you very much!

I hear what youíre saying about the light and appreciate it. Really, I wanted to use the headlight on my Quad as the background lighting but it wouldn't fit through the door to my studio

Sep 15, 2007 at 03:18 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #19 · #264: Ride Hard!

Bill Sutherland wrote:
This is real hot Mike - OK, I give in.

Hey Bill! Thank you my friend! Give in? bah!! I think together we started off a great week

Sep 15, 2007 at 03:22 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #20 · #264: Ride Hard!

Jazno wrote:
Well done Mike, you blow our minds once again. And I see that your lighting setup is as inexpensively done as most of ours, so we don't even have an excuse for lousy images!

Jason

Hey Jason! Thanks buddy! Cool studio toys would be cool though. I know there is a reason the pros use them. But we both know the real key is duct tape huh? Letís show those pro's what we can do.

Sep 15, 2007 at 03:57 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password