Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2007 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

jban99
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

She’s fourteen and her emotions are extremely fragile…

Do you understand?

Edited by jban99 on Sep 04, 2007 at 06:52 AM GMT (Reason: levels...)

Sep 03, 2007 at 05:12 PM
Artisador
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

This is an excellent idea and you're well on the way to an expressive photograph.
I like the way you are processing - it looks like there's cracquelure (however that is spelled) signifying the brittle nature of her mood. Overall the image is dark to me, no doubt your intent since you're wanting to capture her "dark moment". I think the idea is good, I'd like to see just a little less extreme in the processing, but that's just my take on it.
I get it though - good idea-

/\rt

Sep 03, 2007 at 06:09 PM
Jazno
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

I think one can only ever but partially understand. Beautiful job in this portrayal.

Jason

Sep 03, 2007 at 06:28 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Artisador wrote:
This is an excellent idea and you're well on the way to an expressive photograph.
I like the way you are processing - it looks like there's cracquelure (however that is spelled) signifying the brittle nature of her mood. Overall the image is dark to me, no doubt your intent since you're wanting to capture her "dark moment". I think the idea is good, I'd like to see just a little less extreme in the processing, but that's just my take on it.
I get it though - good idea-

/\rt

I thought that the uneven and strong finishing would help to capture the volatility of her emotions; it was such a difficult task…
(The model and her mother are begging me not to change it)
I really appreciate your sincere comments Art, thanks!

Sep 03, 2007 at 06:57 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Jazno wrote:
I think one can only ever but partially understand. Beautiful job in this portrayal.

Jason

Thanks for the comments Jason!
Only after parenting teenagers or clinically studying them, one can begin to understand…

Sep 03, 2007 at 07:01 PM
Strad
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Wonderful shot, John! (So what else is new ) You might boost the levels a teensy bit if you like but I love it just the way it is. I think the dark tone really adds to the brooding quality of the shot. Your model looks awfully thin, though! I hope she's a happier person than the shot would indicate. She's obviously a very beautiful girl and with her whole life before her, she has no reason to be distressed.

Fond regards,

Endre

Sep 03, 2007 at 07:15 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Hi John, Wonderful work my friend!!! I can see why the model and mother don't what you to touch it. But then again, have you shown them the full potential of this image?

Sep 03, 2007 at 07:30 PM
Karen Gilligan
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

I like the roughness of this image. I believe it add something to it. Karen

Sep 03, 2007 at 08:19 PM
ironabike
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

John, the graininess of the image, I believe adds to the feel of the uncomfortable feeling when one's feelings aren't grounded. There are so many emotions at play, so many double-edged, fractured feelings. I think it is great. I think I would like to see a bit of the levels adjustment to bring out the mid-tones just a hair--I think that would add to the contrast inherent in our emotions from millisecond to millisecond when we are in conflict. She is a beautiful girl, and you tell a very real story.

Jane

Sep 03, 2007 at 09:16 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

John, you have captured the very essence of fragility with this wonderful shot. Congratulations to you and to your beautiful model.

Robert

Sep 03, 2007 at 09:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hhski
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Dont change it. This was another theme that came to mind this week that I had no Idea how to excecute. The extreme processing is perfect. This is a winner.

Sep 04, 2007 at 12:38 AM
Louis Simpson
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Very good John. The grain really makes the image. The thin wrist and hair in the eyes really give it an edge. I agree with hh. Don't change it.

Sep 04, 2007 at 12:59 AM
bouchto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Hi John,
Your words described what was already very clear by your wonderful shot.
Very well done!
Tom

Sep 04, 2007 at 01:13 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Strad wrote:
Wonderful shot, John! (So what else is new ) You might boost the levels a teensy bit if you like but I love it just the way it is. I think the dark tone really adds to the brooding quality of the shot. Your model looks awfully thin, though! I hope she's a happier person than the shot would indicate. She's obviously a very beautiful girl and with her whole life before her, she has no reason to be distressed.

Fond regards,

Endre

I was very sorry to miss your concert Sunday night, hope that it was a big success. Please let us know if there is an archived version for download available.
Thanks for the comments and the good advice Endre,
I just boosted the levels a little bit as suggested while still trying to keep the overall darkness originally intended.
My friends were visiting for the long weekend and my model is very thin indeed and, at times, very happy…

Sep 04, 2007 at 08:07 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Vipermike wrote:
Hi John, Wonderful work my friend!!! I can see why the model and mother don't what you to touch it. But then again, have you shown them the full potential of this image?

I didn’t have a chance to show them the modified image but they will look at it on this website when they get home later today. Thanks Mike!

Sep 04, 2007 at 08:08 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Karen Gilligan wrote:
I like the roughness of this image. I believe it add something to it. Karen

Thanks for the comments Karen!

Sep 04, 2007 at 08:09 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

ironabike wrote:
John, the graininess of the image, I believe adds to the feel of the uncomfortable feeling when one's feelings aren't grounded. There are so many emotions at play, so many double-edged, fractured feelings. I think it is great. I think I would like to see a bit of the levels adjustment to bring out the mid-tones just a hair--I think that would add to the contrast inherent in our emotions from millisecond to millisecond when we are in conflict. She is a beautiful girl, and you tell a very real story.

Jane

Hello again Jane, thanks for your thoughtful comments, you are so right!
I usually don’t do any exaggerated post processing, but on the other hand, I usually don’t try to photograph fragile feelings either!

Sep 04, 2007 at 08:09 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

relms wrote:
John, you have captured the very essence of fragility with this wonderful shot. Congratulations to you and to your beautiful model.

Robert

Thanks Robert, I’m glad you think so, she will be reading your comments later…

Sep 04, 2007 at 08:10 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

hhski wrote:
Dont change it. This was another theme that came to mind this week that I had no Idea how to excecute. The extreme processing is perfect. This is a winner.

Hi hh, it’s happening to me a lot also, one minute I’m thinking that I have this great original idea for the assignment and the next, I find it already posted!
I’m glad you like the processing, thank you!

Sep 04, 2007 at 08:10 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #262: Adolescent Fragility…

Louis Simpson wrote:
Very good John. The grain really makes the image. The thin wrist and hair in the eyes really give it an edge. I agree with hh. Don't change it.

Hello Louis, as you can see I didn’t use any pictures from the ‘accident’ set of the other night.
She was a very cooperative great model and plans to bring the pictures to her digital art class.
Thank you.

Sep 04, 2007 at 08:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password