Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2007 · #262: Sunset boulevard

cennerfelt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #262: Sunset boulevard

We have a friend that walks her dog on a highway every day. Over the year, she ends up picking up hundreds of dead butterflies on the road. She keeps glass jars for of them at home which are very beautiful actually. So, I have been longing for the opportunity to use that resource.
I am changing image based on some comments and my own thought. So, this is it.
C&C always welcome
Christian

Edited by cennerfelt on Sep 05, 2007 at 06:20 PM GMT (Reason: Edited image)

Sep 03, 2007 at 01:39 AM
mbaumser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #262: Sunset boulevard

really effective shot. The shot has so much going for it. I love the lighting. The blurred car tells the story. Tail lights might have been a bit better for "the story" but than the car would have been in a different spot and not made the image as great. Well done.

Marc

Sep 03, 2007 at 01:44 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #262: Sunset boulevard

A sad but very moving image C. I really like it.

Edited by Vipermike on Sep 02, 2007 at 09:15 PM GMT

Sep 03, 2007 at 02:20 AM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #262: Sunset boulevard

mbaumser wrote:
really effective shot. The shot has so much going for it. I love the lighting. The blurred car tells the story. Tail lights might have been a bit better for "the story" but than the car would have been in a different spot and not made the image as great. Well done.

Marc

Marc, thanks for the feedback. Glad you like it. I had the kids in the car and I only had time for 4 shots so here is the "from behind" shot I have. Is this a better version of the story do you think?
Christian
http://www.miramis.com/images/fragility-2.jpg

Sep 03, 2007 at 02:38 AM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #262: Sunset boulevard

Vipermike wrote:
A sad buy very moving image C. I really like it.

Thanks Mike

Christian

Sep 03, 2007 at 02:40 AM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #262: Sunset boulevard

I played in photoshop and moved stuff in this alternate image back into the composition of the first shot. May I post it?

Sep 03, 2007 at 03:04 AM
ironabike
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #262: Sunset boulevard

Roy Pertchik wrote:
I played in photoshop and moved stuff in this alternate image back into the composition of the first shot. May I post it?

Sure, go ahead! Christian, I think I would like it better with just the pinkish light off to the right and just the butterfly and the concrete. Really, these Monarchs don't need to be hit by a car to meet their demise. Sometimes they just die of exhaustion after flying from South America. At least I think that is a Monarch.
Jane

Sep 03, 2007 at 03:07 AM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #262: Sunset boulevard

Roy Pertchik wrote:

Absolutely!
Christian

Sep 03, 2007 at 03:17 AM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #262: Sunset boulevard

(I'm not above doing anything in post processing... It's not LBJ talking to Tom Hanks :-)

I think I like your first one best... it's more ominous, like the butterfly is in danger!

Sep 03, 2007 at 03:30 AM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #262: Sunset boulevard

ironabike wrote:
Sure, go ahead! Christian, I think I would like it better with just the pinkish light off to the right and just the butterfly and the concrete. Really, these Monarchs don't need to be hit by a car to meet their demise. Sometimes they just die of exhaustion after flying from South America. At least I think that is a Monarch.
Jane

I played around in photoshop during the process doing exactly that, and I consulted my wife. She liked it better with the car, so I stuck with it. I'll look at it again. I too think it's a Monarch. Thanks Jane.
Christian

Sep 03, 2007 at 03:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #262: Sunset boulevard

Roy Pertchik wrote:
(I'm not above doing anything in post processing... It's not LBJ talking to Tom Hanks :-)

I think I like your first one best... it's more ominous, like the butterfly is in danger!

I Like this Roy. I will sleep on it Thanks for helping.
Christian

Sep 03, 2007 at 03:53 AM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #262: Sunset boulevard

Although I like your entry, Christian, I would like it even more without the hot spot in the upper right corner, which draws my eye immediately toward it. Although it provides superb lighting for the Monarch, it would be better left out of the shot IMHO.

Robert

Sep 03, 2007 at 03:15 PM
hhski
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #262: Sunset boulevard

Powerful, so good one of my favs this week

Sep 04, 2007 at 12:43 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #262: Sunset boulevard

As always, a lovey shot, Christian, my friend! I agree with Robert about the bright light in the upper right however I'd hate to lose the lovely pink on the road. I'm not sure how to fix that.... I do prefer the car coming oward us, though as I think the headlights look really interesting.

Fond regards,

Endre

Sep 05, 2007 at 04:58 PM
Louis Simpson
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #262: Sunset boulevard

Another fine image Christian. I like the image as it is posted. The "hot spot" really did not draw my eye away as the DOF held me on the butterfly. I too prefer the oncoming car instead of the passing car. The headlights add interest and take the eye away from the hot spot as well. Well done!

Sep 05, 2007 at 08:45 PM
zcaley
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #262: Sunset boulevard

An unusual take on the assignment. A butterfly that is not streetwise, aint gonna make it. What an odd place to find a butterfly.

Why did the butterfly cross the road.........

Sep 05, 2007 at 11:44 PM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #262: Sunset boulevard

relms wrote:
Although I like your entry, Christian, I would like it even more without the hot spot in the upper right corner, which draws my eye immediately toward it. Although it provides superb lighting for the Monarch, it would be better left out of the shot IMHO.

Robert

Robert,
Got it, I very much appreciate the critique. I made a change of location and colors, cloned out the hot spot. Still I needed the effect of the light/sunset there.
Christian

Sep 05, 2007 at 11:52 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #262: Sunset boulevard

Good shot Christian . A self contained story well told.

Sep 06, 2007 at 12:41 AM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #262: Sunset boulevard

hhski wrote:
Powerful, so good one of my favs this week

Thanks hhski,
Changed it now, hope you still like it,
Christian

Sep 06, 2007 at 12:55 AM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #262: Sunset boulevard

Strad wrote:
As always, a lovey shot, Christian, my friend! I agree with Robert about the bright light in the upper right however I'd hate to lose the lovely pink on the road. I'm not sure how to fix that.... I do prefer the car coming oward us, though as I think the headlights look really interesting.

Fond regards,

Endre

Thanks Endre,
Hope you like the fix with less color actually.
Christian

Sep 06, 2007 at 12:59 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password