Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2007 · Live View

Luka kauzlaric

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Live View

I'm just going to speculate for a while.

Is the new feature, 'Live View' going to be the death of the viewfinder?

Many consumer cameras nowdays are abandoning the good old VF, is live view's introduction to the 40D (not so concerned about the 1d(s) mkIII) signaling the beginning of the end? As LCD screens become cheaper (oleds anyone?) and use less power, will the VF become a thing of the past?

thoughts?

Aug 26, 2007 at 04:31 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Live View

Not for me. Ever.

Aug 26, 2007 at 04:47 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Live View

No way, Jose, er, Luka!

Aug 26, 2007 at 04:57 AM
ashwinrao1
• •
p.1 #4 · Live View

Two different points all together, as I see it. One tiny little handhelds. But with SLR's, it's all about seeing with your eye....through the viewfinder!

Aug 26, 2007 at 06:09 AM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Live View

nah... but it might start to chip away at the MF market for studio and product photography.

Aug 26, 2007 at 06:36 AM
rocketpop
• • •
p.1 #6 · Live View

I can't say never, but they are nowhere even close to being able to do it now. Perhaps there will be better technology in the future to replace the LCD or vastly improve it, but even with the highest end refresh rates and low latency currently, I've yet to see anything come close to matching a optical viewfinder.

If they could increase the resolution, viewability in bright light, refresh, and latency with some future technology, then there would be some benefits. Faster shutter speeds, no mirror. Viewfinders could be "larger" for even small cameras.

To me, it seems like they are a long, long way away from being able to implement something as good as an optical viewfinder, and they'll have to get darn close or better before it will take off for pros. As for right now, it is just an additional tool that can be used in some situations.

I would really like to have liveview with a tilt LCD. I don't need it often, but there are plenty of times where I'm trying to shoot straight down on a wedding cake and I basically have to hold out my arm and shoot and chimp until I get one framed right. A swivel LCD would be damn nice for that... Maybe I'll get a P&S just for that!

Aug 26, 2007 at 07:05 AM
Amy Klaver
• •
p.1 #7 · Live View

Dear God, say it ain't so.

Aug 26, 2007 at 07:50 AM
jeskata
• •
p.1 #8 · Live View

Has there been any observations how Live View effects battery time?

I believe the shutter will be dropped in the next generation DSLRs, perhaps beginning from the 450D and later in the future 50D and mkIV:s. Solid-state technology is cheaper to produce and less error-prone; aswell as more accurate compared to mechanical devices.
This would also enable adding a video mode.

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:18 AM
Steve Blagg
• •
p.1 #9 · Live View

I sure hope not, the P & S I throw in my bag for holidays thankfully has a view finder cos you can't see the LCD in bright sunlight ! !

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:24 AM
GeorgeK-NJ
• • •
p.1 #10 · Live View

Holding it up against your face to look thru the VF helps steady it. Just try and take a 5 lb camera body and lense, hold it about 12" away and see if you could hold it still! Not going to happen!

Aug 26, 2007 at 01:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Live View

No. Try using one for serious work and you'll see why.

Aug 26, 2007 at 01:55 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #12 · Live View

Video viewfinders will definitely replace optical viewfinders eventually.

The technology already exists and is in use in high-end video cameras. e.g. Panavision Genesis.

It's just a matter of time to get the size, weight and power consumption down to a level where it is feasable for a stills camera.

Aug 26, 2007 at 02:12 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Live View

Without any mirrorbox and prism needed for the optical SLR viewfinder, then we would practically get a rangefinder camera type but somehow I can't see that from happening. Hey, just my opinion .

Aug 26, 2007 at 02:29 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Live View

Luka kauzlaric wrote:
Is the new feature, 'Live View' going to be the death of the viewfinder?

No way.

Aug 26, 2007 at 03:53 PM
tpsfoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · Live View

I just sold a PS with no viewfinder.....could not see it in the bright sun....bought a Canon A560 & use the viewfinder .....much better.....even to hand hold longer exposures ....having it pressed against your head.

Aug 26, 2007 at 04:53 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Live View

I was under the impression that you see more and more P&S cameras with VF nowadays.

Anyway, no VF would mean no new cameras for me. Heck, I'd go back to film.

Then again, you never know how technology can evolve. If you'd told me 20 years ago that on August 26, 2007 at 7:49 PM (GMT+1) I would be chatting on an internet forum with photographers from all over the world about the possible demise of viewfinders in high-end digital SLRs I would have asked you what you had smoked (and where to get it).

Aug 26, 2007 at 05:49 PM
lmitch6
• •
p.1 #17 · Live View

For me at least, Live View is a 'so what' feature. It may be useful for some, but give me a good old optical viewfinder any day. Using an LCD or EVF removes me way too much from the subject and moment I'm trying to capture.

Remove the viewfinder and shutter and you get a glorified point and shoot cam. If a manufacturer were to do that across it's line up, I'd think you'd have a mass exodus from that manufacturer. I've seen this question pop up from time to time on various forums, all with strong feelings on both sides. But, I also think the online world is a small percentage of photographers as a whole, so that's something to keep in mind.

Aug 26, 2007 at 05:57 PM
AJSJones
• • •
p.1 #18 · Live View

You guys need a more active imagination

Imagine a VF that has a bigger diameter than today's best, so when you look into it you see an image several times larger than the current optical VFs floating in front of you, using a small, bright, hi res (e.g. 1920x1080 - like looking at an 23" HD monitor) OLED, with live histogram, all the info you need (exposure, data, traffic, weather etc) , and a 5x or 10x zoom into the focus point you're looking at at the touch of a button, courtesy revival of Canon's ECF - yea!. And no huge heavy pentaprism needed!

Same info goes to a roll-up, snap-flat, swivel-mounted larger OLED for when you can't get your eye to the VF.

Heck, that VF could be put on the inside of head-mounted rig (e.g. a pair of glasses) and get its info by RF from the camera. That would be only the 1/2 size version of the 3D HDTV headset...

Andy

Aug 26, 2007 at 07:25 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Live View

Why exactly should we want a complicated and expensive digital VF when there is nothing wrong with an optical VF? I'm sure they won't have a greater lifespan than a mirror mechanism and when most cameras have shutter lag times based on prestige not cost, I just can't see the point.

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:28 PM
Michael Cary
• •
p.1 #20 · Live View

The viewfinder will not be determined by what is the best technology. It will be determined by the "wants" of the consumer.

Aug 27, 2007 at 03:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password