Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2007 · 3D Look

fungke
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3D Look

i know that this is talked about sometimes but what gives photos that come from a full frame camera that pop? the files that come from my friend's 5D are amazing and have a certain quality to it. with my mark III is does not seem to be the same. I had the chance to use a 1DSMark II and it too has that pop to the photo. is it really because it is full frame?

Aug 19, 2007 at 05:21 AM
Jack Spyker
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3D Look

I don't think the full-frame aspect really has too much to do with it. Yes, there are differences in the DOF between APS-C sensors and full-frame, but I think lighting is usually more of a factor. One shot with great lighting can look like it's going to jump off the screen, while the same shot with mediocre lighting is just mediocre.

Aug 19, 2007 at 05:39 AM
Jon Buder
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3D Look

I would have to agree, it's probably more to do with the light.

Although you'll use a longer lens to get the same field of view on FF, so there might be less DOF if it's a portrait or similar, that might be part of it.

Aug 19, 2007 at 06:00 AM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3D Look

I think it's definitely the DOF thing with full frame. The DOF is significantly less which of course seperates the subject from the background more. It's similar to the effect of medium format film cameras, albeit on a smaller scale.

Aug 19, 2007 at 06:18 AM
johnnydanger
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3D Look

Let me rephrase, the DOF is not less technically, but when attempting to get the same framing with the same lense on a FF body vs. crop the DOF is less because you have to be closer.

Aug 19, 2007 at 06:20 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3D Look

fungke wrote:
i know that this is talked about sometimes but what gives photos that come from a full frame camera that pop? the files that come from my friend's 5D are amazing and have a certain quality to it. with my mark III is does not seem to be the same. I had the chance to use a 1DSMark II and it too has that pop to the photo. is it really because it is full frame?

I think it's the light falloff at the corners of the sensor that draws the eye to the center (subject?) of the image that does it.

Aug 19, 2007 at 05:04 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 3D Look

Is your friend shooting with a tilt-shift lens? Those can definitely make things look 3d in the image.

Aug 19, 2007 at 05:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 3D Look

Have a look at this archived posting: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/530337

Aug 19, 2007 at 09:39 PM
Tad Killian
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 3D Look

I get a lot of comments about this landscape looking very 3d, like a painting. Oddly enough, this photo has a pretty large DOF.

Tad

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:26 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 3D Look

Don't tell me, HDR right?

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tad Killian
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 3D Look

ummmmmm...........no, but I guess I should take that as compliment?

Rebel XT and Tamron 17-50

1/500
f/11
Evaluative metering
EC -2
ISO 400
19mm
Raw file

Converted in LR
Tweaked levels, curves, saturation, and sharpened in CS2. You can either let the in-camera software do it for you or you can put some time and effort into learning another aspect of photography. Processing! Film people had/have to do it too.

................thanks again though Beni.

Tad

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:59 PM
Edward Kelsey

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 3D Look

Thats a very pretty image. But I would crop it down to eliminate the intruding branches at the top. (or get busy with the healing brush tool)

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:34 AM
DrPablo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 3D Look

There are almost no generalizations about how to achieve the 3D look that hold up. Why? Because there are 3D-looking images taken with $3000 Zeiss lenses and with $100 kit lenses. There are 3D-looking images with infinity focus and a huge DOF, and others with a tiny DOF. There are 3D-looking images taken on point and shoot cameras, and others taken on 20x24" ultralarge format view cameras.

In my mind, and as I stated a few times in that archived thread, there are two important features to a 3D look.

One is textural detail. This often comes from a combination of microcontrast and directional lighting. Good lenses will do better than poor lenses at this, but picking your lighting is the critical step.

Two is suggestion of depth. This can come from a shallow DOF, but it can also come from lines that lead the viewer into the photo, or simply from well placed foreground-middleground-background objects.

Aug 20, 2007 at 01:04 AM
John Power
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 3D Look

I think its the 17-50. Mine has great color and contrast.

Aug 20, 2007 at 01:29 AM
Tad Killian
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 3D Look

There are almost no generalizations about how to achieve the 3D look that hold up. Why? Because there are 3D-looking images taken with $3000 Zeiss lenses and with $100 kit lenses. There are 3D-looking images with infinity focus and a huge DOF, and others with a tiny DOF. There are 3D-looking images taken on point and shoot cameras, and others taken on 20x24" ultralarge format view cameras.

There's the answer. Perfectly stated!

Tad

Aug 20, 2007 at 01:30 AM
Gil_W
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 3D Look

jcolwell wrote:
Have a look at this archived posting: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/530337

That is sure a good informative post albeit long (57pg), I learned a lot but my head is spinning in 3D right now

Aug 20, 2007 at 01:34 AM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 3D Look

Most of the time when I read stuff about a "3D look" attributed to particular cameras or lenses, it is just hype/gibberish. --c

Aug 20, 2007 at 01:52 AM
Nill Toulme
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 3D Look

...or oversharpening.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Aug 20, 2007 at 02:21 AM
jvarszegi
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 3D Look

Nill Toulme wrote:
...or oversharpening.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Haha. Absolutely true.

Aug 20, 2007 at 02:44 AM
Tad Killian
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 3D Look

Yeah, you're right. This landscape should only look one way, and the sharpening is all it is. You got me guys!

Tad

Aug 20, 2007 at 03:01 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password