WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2007 · # 257 Working Late

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · # 257 Working Late

This may wind up being a place holder (It seems that's become rather fashionable 'round these parts. ) It is entirely different from what I had originially intended but then sometimes one simply has to go with the flow. This is an early evening shot of the Los Angeles Superior Court Building.

Jul 30, 2007 at 03:22 AM
ironabike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · # 257 Working Late

Nice Strad! What caused the one pane to be gold? I like the perspective.
Jane

Jul 30, 2007 at 07:02 AM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · # 257 Working Late

Endre, we don't have that many windows in all of Walton County.

Your composition is perfect to highlight the contrasting bronze and silver and the contrasting patterns between the front and side of the building.

Best regards,
Robert

Jul 30, 2007 at 07:44 AM
suse
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · # 257 Working Late

I think that's fabulous Endre. I love the way the angle/perspective/distortion causes a play with the lines. And the tones are gorgeous.

Jul 30, 2007 at 07:45 AM
MarcR
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · # 257 Working Late

Personally I would reduce the vignetting, but otherwise it's just great.
I love the colors and tones!

Jul 30, 2007 at 08:30 AM
Medowlark
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · # 257 Working Late

Well, for sure I will scratch that multi-windowed office building from my list of possibilities. Nicely done Endre.

al

Jul 30, 2007 at 08:52 AM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · # 257 Working Late

That's awesome. I like the sepia tone to it all and the lone glowing window. Multiple exposures or conversions composited?

Jul 30, 2007 at 08:56 AM
Jazno
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · # 257 Working Late

Beautiful lines, in both building and image.
Good work Endre.

Jason

Jul 30, 2007 at 10:01 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · # 257 Working Late

Thank you so much, Jane, my friend! I'm glad you like this. I found this shot to be somewhat problematic when i took it. It was really just an afterthought that i saw as I was walking away from what I had initially tried shooting. The pane was originally lighted a bit but I enhanced it by bringing up the brightness/contrast.

Fond regards,

Endre

ironabike wrote:
Nice Strad! What caused the one pane to be gold? I like the perspective.
Jane

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:51 AM
gvarma
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · # 257 Working Late

Beautiful. Forget replacing this. Its great. Love how the window catches your eye with its light. IMO the vignetting fits the subject, bringing attention to the window and the lines.

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:58 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · # 257 Working Late

Thank you so much. Robert, my friend! I appreciate your kind comments and know that you always tell the truth, so they are much appreciated! I had a totally different concept in mind when I went down to the Superior Court building. I was hoping to capture a beautiful Rose Window on the church across the street as it reflected in the mirror windows of the Superior Court building. Unfortunately, my recollection was all wrong and the Rose Window didn't reflect in the Suprior court building windows at all. All that I could see was the top of the church. There were a lot of very distracting trees at the bottom of the shot. The attached photo is the only one I could even salvage at all due to very tight cropping. I think it is rather boring. A bit later in the day, as I was waling back to my car, I noticed the one lighted window in the Superior Court building and the interesting pattern all the other windows made. That building is basically a big box and I find it rather opressive looking which probably befits a Superior Court. i thought some poor soul was working late on a Sunday evening in that big, sterile building so that's how the shot suggested itself to me.

Fond regards,

Endre

relms wrote:
Endre, we don't have that many windows in all of Walton County.

Your composition is perfect to highlight the contrasting bronze and silver and the contrasting patterns between the front and side of the building.

Best regards,
Robert

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · # 257 Working Late

Thank you so much, Sue, my friend! It is always wonderful to get your kind comments. The tones are a result of some PP but i was more interested in the abstract forms and in the feeling I could evoke with the shot than in capturing absolute reality.

Fond regards,

Endre

suse wrote:
I think that's fabulous Endre. I love the way the angle/perspective/distortion causes a play with the lines. And the tones are gorgeous.

Jul 30, 2007 at 01:04 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · # 257 Working Late

Thanks, Marc, my friend! Glad you like it. Actually, though, I added the vignetting as I wanted to make it look as claustrophobic as possible. I may have overdone it but I only really notice it a lot in the thumbnail version. Whne it is bigger (an especially on my screen at home) iI don't find it distracting. Buth then, I like vignetting, anyhow.

Fond regards,

Endre

MarcR wrote:
Personally I would reduce the vignetting, but otherwise it's just great.
I love the colors and tones!

Jul 30, 2007 at 02:36 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · # 257 Working Late

Thanks so much, Al. I appreciate your comments and am glad you like it. I may have dashed your idea regarding the multi-windowed office building but in loooking at "Is Someone There?" I see that you are none the worse for wear.

All best wishes,

Endre

Medowlark wrote:
Well, for sure I will scratch that multi-windowed office building from my list of possibilities. Nicely done Endre.

al

Jul 30, 2007 at 02:43 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · # 257 Working Late

Thanks so much for the comment, Sean. I'm so glad you like it. This one had a fair amount of PP as I wanted to emphasize the dark lonely aspect of having to do work in an otherwise empty building long after everyone else has gone home. It was a single exposue, though. i did the sepia conversion and then added back some of the blue color from the original on the far side of the building. The light coming through that lone window was fairly faint, so I brought it up with the brightness/contrast sliders.

All best wishes,

Ende

Sean Mills wrote:
That's awesome. I like the sepia tone to it all and the lone glowing window. Multiple exposures or conversions composited?

Jul 30, 2007 at 02:52 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · # 257 Working Late

Thank you so much, Jason. I'm delighted that you like it and really appreciate your kind comment.

All the best,

Endre

Jazno wrote:
Beautiful lines, in both building and image.
Good work Endre.

Jason

Jul 30, 2007 at 02:53 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · # 257 Working Late

Thanks so much, Gotsy! I always appreciate your kind comments. That was exactly my idea in adding the vignetting - to draw attention to the subject window as well as to help mitigate the lines that would otherwise draw the viewer's eyes out of the shot. i also wanted to insure that this massive, sterile building looked as cramped and enclosing as possible. So glad you like what I did. I think I'll keep it.

All the best,

Endre

gvarma wrote:
Beautiful. Forget replacing this. Its great. Love how the window catches your eye with its light. IMO the vignetting fits the subject, bringing attention to the window and the lines.

Jul 30, 2007 at 02:58 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · # 257 Working Late

Here's a version to which I added some birds. I know that's somewhat unkosher so I didn't post it but my daughter likes it better.

Jul 30, 2007 at 03:14 PM
hhski
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · # 257 Working Late

I like the right side and the tension it creates the other side I dont know.

Jul 30, 2007 at 09:54 PM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · # 257 Working Late

This is almost dizzying Endre. Very cool shot!

Jul 30, 2007 at 10:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.