WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2007 · #257: Conform

Vipermike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #257: Conform

My view is not warped. It's all in your perspective Thanks for looking.

Jul 29, 2007 at 02:40 AM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #257: Conform

A bit on the setup: Not many windows to shot out here in the desert. Most have already been shot out. We have a CNC router which I operate almost every day at our family run business. I designed and programmed the parts into the CNC and then used 1/2 plywood for the main wall and 1/4 ply for the frame. 1/8 plexy glass was doubled stick taped to the back for the window pains. I used some neat white texture paint called "Sand Stone" for the finish. I stopped by JO-ANN's fabric store and picked up the little vase and flower. I front/side lit the scene with one incandescent and one daylight bulb. I lit the back with another daylight bulb. I like the subtlety of the flower color but perhaps a brighter one would have been better.

http://www.mindofmalloy.com/images/setup_shot3.jpg

Jul 29, 2007 at 03:03 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #257: Conform

Good heavens, Mike! You have all these cool toys and an overflowing of skills to help implement your brilliant visions. No wonder you make it into the finals all the time! This is simply fabulous! Bravo, again! The rest of us may as well pack up and go home. ...

All the best,

Endre

PS - What is your family business out in the desert?

Jul 29, 2007 at 04:08 AM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #257: Conform

Dedication and creativity, this is really good Mike (and maybe you have too much time on your hands ) I agree with Endre on oll the other stuff too.
Christian

Jul 29, 2007 at 05:55 AM
JEF Hoeveler
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #257: Conform

WOW...Might as well go to the next assignment. That is truly amazing. You are a true artist.

-JEF

Jul 29, 2007 at 06:11 AM
ironabike
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #257: Conform

Next!! You are amazingly talented. What is your business and what is a CNC

I agree--whomsoever beats this is jumping over a very high bar indeed.

BTW the white flower is perfect!! Don't change a thing!
Jane

Jul 29, 2007 at 09:20 AM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #257: Conform

Mike, this is truly fabulous! I want one of those computer numerically controlled router things.

Robert

Jul 29, 2007 at 09:42 AM
Medowlark
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #257: Conform

WOW!

al

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:50 AM
wakeboardertj
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #257: Conform

cnc routers are awesome, used to have one in highschool woodshop, they are amazing.

your photograph however is incredible, i thought it was photoshopped for sure! amazing.

Jul 29, 2007 at 03:14 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #257: Conform

Strad wrote:
Good heavens, Mike! You have all these cool toys and an overflowing of skills to help implement your brilliant visions. No wonder you make it into the finals all the time! This is simply fabulous! Bravo, again! The rest of us may as well pack up and go home. ...

All the best,

Endre

PS - What is your family business out in the desert?

Hi Endre, Thank you so much. It is work such as yours in the WA that pushes me to try harder and better my work. The talent we have here at Fred's is high, That is why I am here and if anybody can knock this shot out of the park with a click of the shutter it is you my friend.

Our family business is actually an interesting one that my brother Doug started long ago out of his garage. As well as a builder he is a professional magician. We build magic props, effect, and illusions for the professional magicians such as Chris Angel “Mind Freak”. Our shop is in Palmdale CA. Doug used to build everything by hand so the CNC machine along with my CAD and computer knowledge was a great time saver for the business. My Dad, Mom, myself and two brothers are all part of “Malloy Modern Magic” http://www.malloymodernmagic.com

Jul 29, 2007 at 04:13 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #257: Conform

cennerfelt wrote:
Dedication and creativity, this is really good Mike (and maybe you have too much time on your hands ) I agree with Endre on all the other stuff too.
Christian

Hi Christian! Much appreciated my friend. I would love to make something of my photography down the road. I would love nothing more than to have a gallery someday. It is what I truly love to do. So I keep on shooting with you guys. The WA helps me not give up and gives me focus. <- no pun

Jul 29, 2007 at 04:17 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #257: Conform

JEF Hoeveler wrote:
WOW...Might as well go to the next assignment. That is truly amazing. You are a true artist.

-JEF

Thanks Jef!! Greatly appreciated. BTW, I await your submission for "windows"

Jul 29, 2007 at 04:23 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #257: Conform

ironabike wrote:
Next!! You are amazingly talented. What is your business and what is a CNC

I agree--whomsoever beats this is jumping over a very high bar indeed.

BTW the white flower is perfect!! Don't change a thing!
Jane

Jane!!! I described our business a little to Endre up a couple posts. CNC stands for " Computer Navigated Cutter" think of it as big printer with a blade that can cut through wood, plastic and aluminum. You put in your drawing and it goes to work.

Jane, I love your work and you are one of those pole-vaulters indeed!

Thanks for the CC on the flower Jane. I was hoping to get a female perspective and I regard yours highly. Thank You

Jul 29, 2007 at 04:34 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #257: Conform

relms wrote:
Mike, this is truly fabulous! I want one of those computer numerically controlled router things.

Robert

Hey Robert that means allot coming from you. Thank You.

The price over the years has come down dramatically on the CNC router stuff. We use the "Shopbot" It can cut up to a 5 ft X 10 ft sheet.

Jul 29, 2007 at 04:39 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #257: Conform

Medowlark wrote:
WOW!

al

Al!, Thank you my friend. I am looking forward to your shot as well!!

Jul 29, 2007 at 04:41 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #257: Conform

wakeboardertj wrote:
cnc routers are awesome, used to have one in highschool woodshop, they are amazing.

your photograph however is incredible, i thought it was photoshopped for sure! amazing.

Hey Taylor! Thanks man!! I wish I had more play time on the Shopbot but after work all I want to do is go home They are such a powerful tool it is almost overwhelming at the possibilities.

Jul 29, 2007 at 04:46 PM
ironabike
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #257: Conform

Mike, your family's business was a real doo doo doo doo for us! We just, night before last, watched the Prestige! Great movie!!
Jane

Jul 29, 2007 at 04:56 PM
Jazno
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #257: Conform

Yikes, I think I'll give up....

One must agree with all prior comments, wonderful work.

Jason

Jul 29, 2007 at 05:06 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #257: Conform

Jazno wrote:
Yikes, I think I'll give up....

One must agree with all prior comments, wonderful work.

Jason

Thanks Jason! I know that's a bit tong and cheek but NEVER give up. That would be doing you, me and our friends here a disservice. Anybody can spend the time to do a setup shot like this and I tend to be more comfortable having control of my subject. My surroundings out here don't lend them self to allot of real world shots for the WA assignments. I am a graphic artist by nature and it's a habit that's hard to break. Looking forward to your shot my friend!

Jul 29, 2007 at 05:30 PM
hhski
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #257: Conform

MIke I remember a few weeks ago you mentioned you had given up photography for a period of time. I ask why? I am amazed by your ability to conceptualize then excecute the idea. I have been impressed by all your entries these past weeks. Another winner.

Jul 29, 2007 at 06:18 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.