Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2007 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Leica has been making lenses longer than most of us have been around on the earth (including myself, BTW). There are at least 3 generations of Leica 50mm Summicrons (I can be off here since I don't have the Leica Compendium by Erwin Puts handy). In general, each time they introduced an upgrade, the upgrade is approximately 2 stops better than the predecessor in terms of contrast, resolution, etc. With other words, the new f/2.0 lens will perform approximately at wide open aperture at the same level as the f/4.0 setting of its predecessor. In general, you want to get the latest version if sharpness, contrast, (lack of) vignetting, etc. is what you are after. Some people prefer the "softer" look of an older lens without coating or a single layer of coating can give for portraits. Yes, they can be pretty and flattering but that effect can easily be created on PS. On the other hand, images taken with soft lenses cannot be made to look like they were taken with modern lenses showing the brilliance, contrast, sharpness, colors, etc. without showing too much of the digital artifacts.

One word of caution, beware of the slippery slope ahead of you...

Jul 18, 2007 at 05:22 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

optically, I believe the 3 cam Summicron is identical to the ROM 50... nearly as good wide open as stopped down.

Contrast is hard to fudge in Photoshop... bokeh near impossible.

Yes, you need to know your lenses...

Jul 18, 2007 at 05:47 PM
Liscia
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Leitz Summicron lenses superceded Summar-named lenses in the 1950's on normal (50mm) focal length lenses. Other focal lengths using the Summicron name followed. Elmars and Hektors bacame Elmarits. High speed normals
started with the Xenon name then bcame Summarit, Summilux and Noctilux
in succeeding iterations.

Jul 18, 2007 at 05:48 PM
foghorn
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

AGeoJO wrote:
The OP was blown away by the 50mm Summicron and my remarks on that was more like, "Wait, until you have tried out the other lenses". I am not recommending other people to try Leica lenses. Yes, Leica, Zeiss or other alternative lenses have their special place within a Canon shooter but they are not without drawbacks.....

forgive me. I read you wrong.

Jul 18, 2007 at 06:08 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

mh2000 wrote:
I ended up prefering the more distinctive and classic look from my Super-Tak 50... but that is just a personal taste.

One more reason I haven't tried the 50 Summicron-R. The Super-Tak 50/1.4 is simply superb, with a signature like no other that I have used.

Jul 18, 2007 at 06:17 PM
jjlphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

SoundHound wrote:
Remember that, in this digital age, the "Look" of these lenses as well as many other looks (film too) is possible with PS (color, contrast, etc).

Maybe, maybe not. With the advent of megapixels approaching or passing the 20 megapixel mark in a FF 35mm DSLR, the German optics are simply designed to deliver more lines per millimeter than other more mainstream lenses. We have yet to see those Leica and Contax lenses really shine.

Jul 18, 2007 at 06:22 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

jjlphoto wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. With the advent of megapixels approaching or passing the 20 megapixel mark in a FF 35mm DSLR, the German optics are simply designed to deliver more lines per millimeter than other more mainstream lenses. We have yet to see those Leica and Contax lenses really shine.

Indeed. Soundhound aught to also be aware that there is more to a lens's "look" or signature than colour and contrast. Those are the least compelling aspects, for me, for exactly the reason that Soundhound speaks of; post-processing. One exception is my appreciation of lower contrast lenses. I see the advantage they offer in certain situations and the advantage happens during the capture, not in post. What is compelling for me is the "pattern of sharpness" in the DOF, combined with vignetting, bokeh, and plain old resolution, that can give a lens a look like no other. The Super-Takumar 50/1.4 offers plenty of this:

http://www.cogitech.ca/photos/STak_50/snail4.jpg

Jul 18, 2007 at 09:25 PM
CMOS
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Neat shot. Doesn't look like anything I've seen come out of any Canon lens.

Jul 18, 2007 at 09:48 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Both my C/Y Zeiss 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4 are superb lenses that easily rival my L glass for colour, contrast (even more so) and sharpness. I've stopped worrying about the 85 f/1.2L now. Both lenses are built like tanks, yet the 85 is only ~550g and cost me $500 and the 50 was a mere $145. If you have a 5D they work flawlessly. Next on my list is a WA Zeiss or Zuiko; a lot of Leica glass won't work on the 5D without some mods and some just won't work, unfortunately.

If people want I can post pics later.

Jul 18, 2007 at 09:49 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

CMOS wrote:
Neat shot. Doesn't look like anything I've seen come out of any Canon lens.

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that the only PP applied to the image is a bit of sharpening, a crop & border, and the lith conversion.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:10 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

As much as I also love my Super-Tak, the Summicron gives amazing corner to corner sharpness even on FF and wide open... not to mention wonderful micro contrast and flare control... if sharpness, clarity and technical brilliance is your thing, the Summicron delivers. Bokeh is nice, but kind of clinical. The Super-Tak makes up for its shortcomings by offering romantic imaging when opened up and very competent, but not remarkable, performance stopped down... I personally go more for romance over technical brilliance... but that is mostly just me and what I shoot...

cogitech wrote:
One more reason I haven't tried the 50 Summicron-R. The Super-Tak 50/1.4 is simply superb, with a signature like no other that I have used.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:13 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

One word of caution, beware of the slippery slope ahead of you...

Since January of this year, I have picked up the following:

Contax CZ 28/2.8
Olympus OM 18/3.5
Contax CZ 85/1.4 (just got it today woohoo! doubles as soft focus @ large apertures)
Olympus OM 50/1.4 (serial #11xxxxx)
SMC Takumar 55/1.8.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:44 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

The farther this fascinating thread goes, the clearer is the reality it belongs on the Alternative Systems thread. As a matter of fact, reading this prompts me to head over there...

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:15 AM
Grandin

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

I really wish the OP would post some examples of how the mentioned glass performs on Canon dSLR, the thread is somewhat pointless without examples (especially so when direct comparisons are made to Canon glass). I also own and have owned some exotic glass on adapters for using on both crop and FF, but its not something that I would recommend to people in general on the Canon-mount SLRs board.

Could some moderator please move this thread to the Alternate Systems board.

Jul 19, 2007 at 02:11 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

My vote goes to leaving the thread where it is. This is pertinent to Canon shooters, as the OP said, because it is all about how adaptable the EOS mount is. Considering how incredible the results can be with many of the Alt. lenses, I think every Canon shooter really aught to know what is out there. If people see this thread and want to know more about adapting specific lenses, which ones are the best, which are the best values, etc. then they will undoubtedly head on over to the Alternative Systems board.

There seem to be two camps in the Alt. arena; a)those who love to spread the word because they are blown away with the quality and/or value that can be realized and b)those who would rather keep it to a dull roar for various reasons, including: 1) a desire to control demand for the lenses (and, hence, price), 2) plain old elitism.

Jul 19, 2007 at 07:28 AM
thirteen
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

SmegHead wrote The reason I posted it here is it's relavance to Canon shooters specifically because Canon is the only system I know of that can adapt easily to all these alternative lens's. And when I get home and post some pics to show a comparison to Canon glass specifically.

I fully agree.
As a Canon owner I find this info very useful. I look forward to any pics that SmegHead posts to support his opinion.

Jul 19, 2007 at 08:32 AM
jweaver
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Interesting thread. Thank you for putting it here. I never would have seen it in the other forum. Sometimes we should chill, this was useful here, so all of the Wrong board posters should just take a breath.

Jul 19, 2007 at 09:35 AM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

yup, I agree... all the little self-appointed policemen should just get over themselves...

Jul 19, 2007 at 09:45 AM
SmegHead
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Thanks for all those that support putting this thread here.. I really didnt mean to cause such an uproar but you have to admit, if this thread was in the Alt lens forum, it DEFINATELY wouldnt have had 5 pages of responses because people over there already know this stuff. I wanted to share my new experience as a Canon shooter to other canon shooters who may not have even known its possible to use these great old lens's. When I first joined this forum I didnt even touch the Alt board because I thought "well.. I shoot canon.. I dont shoot alternative lens's.. so there's no point even reading that board".. so I hope I've maybe introduced a few people that didnt know the SHOULD be looking at the alt board as well to the amazing flexability of the EOS system..

Finally.. some pics, not the greatest artistic wize but I hope they demonstrate my point.. both lens's at f3.5.. (metadata on the leica shot will show 2.0 because that's what my AF confirm chip reports) the canon bokeh is almost hexagonal and brighter at the edges, while the Leica you can barely tell where one highlight begins and the other ends.

Canon:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/smeg_for_brains/canon.jpg

Leica:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/smeg_for_brains/leica.jpg

Jul 19, 2007 at 01:10 PM
SmegHead
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Another Leica convert (PICS ADDED at page 5)

Just a little more info.. the canon lens I shot this with is the 50mm mkII.. and yes .. as it's been said before.. the canon DOES have better saturation and is probably a little sharper.. BUT it's the pleasing bokeh of the Leica that I'm trying to demonstrate.. every tool has a job and every job a tool

Jul 19, 2007 at 01:15 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.