Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              26       27       end

Does your MkIII have AF issues?
Yes, it absolutely has a focusing problem PollPollPoll 122 7%
No, it seems to work fine (similar to previous 1-Series bodies) PollPollPoll 126 7%
I'm not sure yet PollPollPoll 52 3%
[I just want to see the results...] PollPollPoll 1454 83%
Total Votes 1754 100%

Archive 2007 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

NOTE: This is a re-poll since many people who originally weren't sure, may now be sure. The original poll is here.

Due to all the rampant speculation that is rapidly flowing about the internet, I thought a simple poll was in order to evaluate the extent of the autofocus problems with the new 1D MkIII. The previous poll led to rather ambiguous suppositions about what is currently going on out there. Whether someone is returning their MkIII does not necessarily indicate that there is a problem. I'd hate to see a whole slew of people return perfectly good cameras if they don't have problems.

It's very simple, if you own it, you can respond above. I would avoid using the "I'm not sure"
...Show more

Regards,
Jeff

Jun 30, 2007 at 08:18 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

I don't own a 1D3, I'm holding off until these problems are sorted out.

What I would like to know if whether Canon has taken any proper interest in this yet or whether they are still sitting on their hands about the issue

Does anyone know the latest?

David

Jun 30, 2007 at 08:27 AM
csm
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

I'm just not sure yet...sorry but while I do not notice any reduction in keepers...and it seems like more, am paying more attention now and hopefully can be more clear later.

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:00 PM
csm
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

I would be interested to know if anyone has sent a MkIIII back to Canon service complaining of this issue, have it now returned and "fixed" and if that made a difference. Please post a reply if you have this experience....very curious.

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:02 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

dhphoto wrote:

Me too.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:23 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

dhphoto wrote:

What I would like to know if whether Canon has taken any proper interest in this yet or whether they are still sitting on their hands about the issue

Does anyone know the latest?

David

I don't think anyone outside of Canon R&D knows anything yet.

Besides, I'm sure they're working on the 1D3N which includes a number of fixes from the 1D3.

Edited by EltonTeng on Jul 01, 2007 at 06:19 PM GMT

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

i was at the jamesburg facility yesterday. oh, they are aware of the upcoming issue thats brewing. i came in with my 1D3 on a different issue (hot pixel cluster in low light and long exposure) and the young lady saw it as i removed it from my bag and cringed asking "focus problem in bright light?" i said yes but that is secondary to my bigger problem. i'll be picking up my camera tuesday morning.

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:44 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

sjms wrote:
i was at the jamesburg facility yesterday. oh, they are aware of the upcoming issue thats brewing. i came in with my 1D3 on a different issue (hot pixel cluster in low light and long exposure) and the young lady saw it as i removed it from my bag and cringed asking "focus problem in bright light?" i said yes but that is secondary to my bigger problem. i'll be picking up my camera tuesday morning.

You can't get much clearer than that! Thanks for posting.

Jun 30, 2007 at 05:32 PM
rwalkernm

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

Hmmm. My original vote was "yes, I have problems", but after looking at little red focus rectangles in about 600 pictures of my wife driving a car at me, varying CF settings, the main conclusion I am able to come to is that the MkIII measures my ability to track accurately with the focus point about as well as I can measure how well it keeps where I was intending to aim in focus.

Now, my re-vote is "I am not sure".... I am coming from a 10D, so I do not have anything better than that to compare to.

If I ask my wife to do any more of this driving, I better make sure I get out of the way when she gets close.

Jun 30, 2007 at 06:04 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

rwalkernm wrote:
If I ask my wife to do any more of this driving, I better make sure I get out of the way when she gets close.

With the price of gas I would be worried you will doubling the cost of the camera
I don't have any issues that pop up but my burst rate is usually only 1-4 shots at a time. I have not had any issues like Jeff's fountain shots that were oof.

Jun 30, 2007 at 06:35 PM
ben_is_in
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

Shane Canfield wrote:
I would be interested to know if anyone has sent a MkIIII back to Canon service complaining of this issue, have it now returned and "fixed" and if that made a difference. Please post a reply if you have this experience....very curious.

They don't want the cameras sent in at this point. When you email them about the problem, you get this response...

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing a focusing issue with your EOS 1D Mark III.

We are currently investigating the Internet reports regarding focus concerns. If you feel that your EOS-1D Mark III is exhibiting difficulties regarding focus tracking of moving or static subjects as the Rob Galbraith article suggests, we request some information from you to better help us assess the situation. We request that, if possible, you send us a sample sequence of images that display the problem you are
experiencing, burned to a CD. Any updates to our investigation will be
published on the Canon USA web site (www.usa.canon.com).

Since this concern is still under investigation, we do not suggest sending the camera in for service as little can be done until clarification is received from Canon, Inc. in Japan.

For customers in the USA willing to provide Canon with sample images:

Please reply to this e-mail being sure to include the full contact information listed below so that we may send a courtesy shipping label for your disc.

Jun 30, 2007 at 08:21 PM
csm
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

OK, well, guess that means that assuming there is a problem, they don't know how to fix it yet. If there is not a problem, they don't know how to stop the bad PR the problem is getting.

Jun 30, 2007 at 08:28 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

Well at least they are not sending a "form" letter as I got a similar but different response. More along the lines, we don't know whats up but when we do will get in touch.

Jun 30, 2007 at 08:35 PM
csm
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

BTW, is there a firmware update yet? Can't find one and this camera has 1.0.8 which seems to be the only one...true?

Jun 30, 2007 at 08:40 PM
Garylv
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

Regarding the message Ben (and others) received from Canon, I wonder if they have enough sample images now to perform an adequate evaluation. I still haven't contacted them even though Rob G. stated everyone should do so.

I doubt I could document the problem as well as he did, and quite a few people in various forums now have posted they did contact Canon about it. Do they know how wide spread it really is? You would think so. I hope so.

Gary

Jun 30, 2007 at 10:57 PM
jkurkjia
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

Shane Canfield wrote:
BTW, is there a firmware update yet? Can't find one and this camera has 1.0.8 which seems to be the only one...true?

A lot of folks discussing the m3 AF subject in the DPR forums reported having 1.0.8 (now that I think about this more let me change my comment from "lot" to "most").

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian

Jul 01, 2007 at 12:14 AM
csm
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

Thanks Joe...wow, you been here since 2002!

Jul 01, 2007 at 12:25 AM
jkurkjia
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

Shane Canfield wrote:
Thanks Joe...wow, you been here since 2002!

I don't post much, read a lot, and have found it pays to be aware of what is going on. :-)

Joe

Jul 01, 2007 at 02:48 AM
dIggO
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

Was I messing things up, or was my last post removed? If so why?

dIggO

Jul 01, 2007 at 10:15 AM
dcSmitty

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RE-POLL: MkIII have AF issues?

I took my Mk III to the Canon USA Service facility in Irvine, CA last Monday along with my 24-105 f/4.0 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS, and 300 f/2.8 IS. I complained about the out of focus images I was getting in single shot mode. I hadn't use A1 Servo a lot, but also expressed a concern about all the neg. feedback on that issue as well. I everything back 3 days later (they rushed it because I'm headed to Africa in a week and a half). They said that the pcb assemply was out of adjustment causing rear focus. Make electronic adjustments to the pcb assembly and others. They said all the lenses were fine. They cleaned all of the lenses, the Mk III and the 20D I had also left for senor cleaning. No charge for anything.

I've shot about 600 frames since getting it back and it seems to be performing well. No significant problems in single shot and I get about 85 to 90 percent sharp images in high speed A1 Servo. I plan to go out this afternoon for more test shooting at a local skateboard park.

Jul 01, 2007 at 12:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.