Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2007 · #254: First Bite

relms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #254: First Bite

Perseverance!

Robert

Edited by relms on Jul 03, 2007 at 10:07 AM GMT (Reason: The worm turns!)

Jun 28, 2007 at 03:05 AM
Medowlark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #254: First Bite

,, How do you explain to the produce guy that you are looking for some corn with a worm.....? What we do for this little game.... Anyway, I think you've got a nice shot of a peach there and the worm....well, it gives me a chuckle.

al

Jun 28, 2007 at 03:15 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #254: First Bite

Robert - great idea and execution, even if it took a little animation to pull it off! Very nice exposure on the peach. The leaf brings a nice element of contrast.

Ed

Jun 28, 2007 at 03:16 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #254: First Bite

Where in the world is Carmen San Diego? Or was it Waldo...
Anyway, the little fella hiding in there is cute, even if you created him out of "hole cloth".
Lovely still life, with all the elements for beauty, plus a little spoiler. Almost like the classical paintings in which a dead animal or insect was placed with perfect flowers, fruits, and vegetables in order to set off their beauty.

Jun 28, 2007 at 03:20 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #254: First Bite

Almost perfectly done, Robert, my friend! To be perfect, I think the worm ought to have big glasses - which would make him a bookworm.
the shot, on the ohther hand is perfect!

Fond regards,

Endre

Jun 28, 2007 at 06:23 AM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #254: First Bite

Medowlark wrote:
,, How do you explain to the produce guy that you are looking for some corn with a worm.....? What we do for this little game.... Anyway, I think you've got a nice shot of a peach there and the worm....well, it gives me a chuckle.

al

Al,

You should have seen the look on the produce gut's face when I walked up to him and asked, "Do you have worms?"

Robert

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:43 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #254: First Bite

ESC in KC wrote:
Robert - great idea and execution, even if it took a little animation to pull it off! Very nice exposure on the peach. The leaf brings a nice element of contrast.

Ed

Thanks for your comments, Ed. Why is it so difficult to find a worm when you need one? Having grown up on a farm, I never thought that that would be an issue.

Robert

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:48 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #254: First Bite

Photon wrote:
Where in the world is Carmen San Diego? Or was it Waldo...
Anyway, the little fella hiding in there is cute, even if you created him out of "hole cloth".
Lovely still life, with all the elements for beauty, plus a little spoiler. Almost like the classical paintings in which a dead animal or insect was placed with perfect flowers, fruits, and vegetables in order to set off their beauty.

"Well she glides around the globe and she'll flimflam every nation,
She's a double-dealing diva with a taste for thievery,
Her itinerary's loaded up with moving violations,
Tell me where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?"

Oh, and the idea of using extreme contrasts to emphasize beauty is still often utilized. Think Lyle Lovett and Julia Roberts.

Jun 28, 2007 at 01:08 PM
MarcR
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #254: First Bite

Kind of cute. Very funny! The thumbnail doesn't do it justice.

Jun 28, 2007 at 01:09 PM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #254: First Bite

Sure made me giggle, Robert! The story, the image, the 'worm.'

Everything about it is super!

Jun 28, 2007 at 06:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jban99
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #254: First Bite

Very nice picture Robert!
A perfect still life picture with exquisite colors and great skin texture, very good. Staring at the worm long enough gives the impression that she blinks at you!

Jun 28, 2007 at 07:17 PM
Vipermike
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #254: First Bite

Aced the lighting on this one Robert Thank you for the great big smile too.

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:51 AM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #254: First Bite

Nicely done once again Robert. A blemished peach doesn't turn my stomach at all, not like a moldy tomato...after all that little worm wouldn't eat much. Nice take on the assignment...well done!

Jun 29, 2007 at 04:59 AM
Adam Woodyatt
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #254: First Bite

When I've been to Publix, I usually find something crawling in the Fruit and Veg!

Love the smile. Good luck.

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:07 AM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #254: First Bite

Like I was saying to Jane, you can definitely tell when you to post because of your style and taste! This one is no exception and nicely done with some humor. The real worm may have actually been a bit gross to look at?

Steve

Jun 29, 2007 at 01:58 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #254: First Bite

Strad wrote:
Almost perfectly done, Robert, my friend! To be perfect, I think the worm ought to have big glasses - which would make him a bookworm.
the shot, on the ohther hand is perfect!

Fond regards,

Endre

I don't want to appear too be artistic, Endre, so I think that I will forgo the glasses. Hopefully a couple of dots made with a PS brush will be forgiven.

Thanks as always for your comments.

Jun 29, 2007 at 02:32 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #254: First Bite

MarcR wrote:
Kind of cute. Very funny! The thumbnail doesn't do it justice.

You are right, Marc. It is awfully hard to see a worm lurking in the dark on the thumbnail. In fact, I always get a false impression of perspective while processing my entries on the 30" Mac Cinema. The worm hole was the size of a quarter and the peach fuzz looked like Phyllis Diller's hair, but once I posted to the site, I found myself reaching for a better pair of glasses.

Jun 29, 2007 at 02:44 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #254: First Bite

Philly Rains wrote:
Sure made me giggle, Robert! The story, the image, the 'worm.'

Everything about it is super!

I am pleased to have brought a smile to your face, Philly. There is still a chance that I will still be able to find a real worm before the deadline. I will try another grocery store next time. Perhaps one with a reduced level of QC.

Jun 29, 2007 at 02:47 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #254: First Bite

jban99 wrote:
Very nice picture Robert!
A perfect still life picture with exquisite colors and great skin texture, very good. Staring at the worm long enough gives the impression that she blinks at you!

Blinks at you? . John, you are either staying up too late or drinking too much Tequila.

Jun 29, 2007 at 02:50 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #254: First Bite

Vipermike wrote:
Aced the lighting on this one Robert Thank you for the great big smile too.

Thank you for the comment on the lighting, Mike. I usually like to take this type of shot using ambient light augmented with reflectors, but I couldn't get to it until after dark, and so I used a softbox along with a flood light shot through a white umbrella. That's not quite as good as natural light, but close.

Jun 29, 2007 at 02:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password