WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2007 · #251: Leather Sheet

Philly Rains
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #251: Leather Sheet

This is my girl, Minky, who was very displeased that I'd put my motorcycle jacket on top of her favorite sleeping spot.

I may change this out later, but I wanted to hold my place because I'm sure there are other black cat owners here.

C&C welcome, and solicited, as always.

Edited by Philly Rains on May 26, 2007 at 11:37 AM GMT (Reason: Closer crop along bottom edge.)

Edited by Philly Rains on May 28, 2007 at 09:01 PM GMT (Reason: Tweaks Tweaks & more Tweaks!)

May 25, 2007 at 08:40 PM
canandaigua ph
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #251: Leather Sheet

Great title....super cat photo Philly. I love the look which seems to have a bit of irrritation in it. Nice lighting to bring out texture in both cat and coat.............black pets are very difficult to capture nicely.
pretty solid place holder, i would say
peter

May 25, 2007 at 10:45 PM
judi
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #251: Leather Sheet

This is totally fabulous Philly!! Such a great idea..and that touch of red is a "real winner"...I agree with Peter......!!

May 25, 2007 at 11:37 PM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #251: Leather Sheet

canandaigua ph wrote:
Great title....super cat photo Philly. I love the look which seems to have a bit of irritation in it. Nice lighting to bring out texture in both cat and coat.............black pets are very difficult to capture nicely.
pretty solid place holder, i would say
peter

Wow! Thanks so much, Peter! You're such a great cheerleader, and I appreciate you!

May 26, 2007 at 12:09 AM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #251: Leather Sheet

judi wrote:
This is totally fabulous Philly!! Such a great idea..and that touch of red is a "real winner"...I agree with Peter......!!

Oh Judi, thanks so much! I'm glad her red collar isn't distracting. You're so sweet and your kind words are much appreciated!

May 26, 2007 at 12:11 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #251: Leather Sheet

I add my voice to the chours of compliments. Great shot, Philly. Very tough circumstances to try to light and you nailed it. It's funny... I won a 1st Place awhile ago when the topic was "White On White" with a photo of our snow white cat on a white background. So this is just the inverse. There's obviously good Karma associated with cats on their same color. Bravo!

All the best,

Endre

May 26, 2007 at 12:24 AM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #251: Leather Sheet

Endre! You are such a sweetie! Thank you so much for the high praise, my friend.

May 26, 2007 at 12:34 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #251: Leather Sheet

Superb, superb, superb!
Getting all those levels of black in a color image is great, the red collar is terrific, and the bit of red or pink in the ear is
incredible, kind of an echo effect.
Wowie!

May 26, 2007 at 03:18 AM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #251: Leather Sheet

What a great compliment!! That means a lot coming from YOU! I don't think anyone's ever called one of my photographs 'Superb' before, so this is a great day for me! Thank you soooooooooo much!!!

May 26, 2007 at 03:51 AM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #251: Leather Sheet

Yes yes yes Philly.. You know I am a huge cat fan and I love this one. You are messing with her vibe and about to act out just like a lady would when you cross her space. So precious and the red is such a perfect touch. So you are a biker chick huh? Even more impressive. GO ON WITH YO BAD SELF!! Great shot here

Steve

May 26, 2007 at 03:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #251: Leather Sheet

Hi Steve, my friend!
It's true. I'm a biker chick in my spare time.......at least when my 'inner adult' allows me to go out and play with the other kids.

Thanks so much for the compliments on my picture of Minky. She's really sweet most of the time.....even though she's almost 16 years old. But, she really didn't appreciate my changing her sleeping spot, and several times when I reached to smooth her fur, or get a stray hair out of her face, she'd slap at me, or try to 'chomp' my hand.

I doubt if I'll ever be able to take another picture of her again!

Thanks for looking, and as always, your kind compliments!

Edited by Philly Rains on May 25, 2007 at 10:30 PM GMT

May 26, 2007 at 04:07 AM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #251: Leather Sheet

Like I said, she is just being a women and don't want to be messed with when they don't want it. Go figure. That is why I love cats. They let you mess with them when they want or be patient only for a little while. And we can't live without them.

Steve

May 26, 2007 at 04:10 AM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #251: Leather Sheet

Yep, nice take Philly. On first glance the white area at the bottom drew my eye. I cropped the white area out by scrolling the screen and my eye came to the very well placed catch lights in the cat's eyes. (bet ya can't say that 3 times...) The white corner doesn't distract me. It is a nice take, good job.

May 26, 2007 at 06:57 AM
MarcR
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #251: Leather Sheet

Philly,

I'd love to say "nice cat", but from the looks I can't really
do so . Great pic though! I'd cut off the bottom white
part, so that the eye is not distracted from the cat. The
red collar really makes it! I also like the diagonal of the
cat and the rule-of-thirds composition. Well done!

May 26, 2007 at 12:56 PM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #251: Leather Sheet

Tom Basore wrote:
Yep, nice take Philly. On first glance the white area at the bottom drew my eye. I cropped the white area out by scrolling the screen and my eye came to the very well placed catch lights in the cat's eyes. (bet ya can't say that 3 times...) The white corner doesn't distract me. It is a nice take, good job.

MarcR wrote:
Philly,

I'd love to say "nice cat", but from the looks I can't really
do so lol . Great pic though! I'd cut off the bottom white
part, so that the eye is not distracted from the cat. The
red collar really makes it! I also like the diagonal of the
cat and the rule-of-thirds composition. Well done!

Cropped and replaced my friends! I trust your eye, Tom, and Marc's, too.
Thanks so much for taking the time to look, and make suggestions. Those are the things that will make me a better photographer, and I appreciate you both!

May 26, 2007 at 05:51 PM
Medowlark
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #251: Leather Sheet

Nice job on a difficult subject Philly. The comp and lighting is really nice and after struggling with a static object for some time to get the lighting right, I can't imagine doing it with a creature as independent as the cat. Well done.

May 26, 2007 at 09:57 PM
ironabike
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #251: Leather Sheet

Philly this is great! Did you try eliminating the white triangle in the top right of the photograph? I think if it were taken out, it brings ones eyes right to your gorgeous models\'s eyes. It is a wonderful photo, great lighting and a finalist for sure.
Jane

May 26, 2007 at 10:20 PM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #251: Leather Sheet

Medowlark wrote:
Nice job on a difficult subject Philly. The comp and lighting is really nice and after struggling with a static object for some time to get the lighting right, I can't imagine doing it with a creature as independent as the cat. Well done.

Hi Al, my friend! So glad you like my Minky cat! It was hard getting the lighting right, and I'm still not completely satisfied, but it's a start.

May 26, 2007 at 10:59 PM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #251: Leather Sheet

ironabike wrote:
Philly this is great! Did you try eliminating the white triangle in the top right of the photograph? I think if it were taken out, it brings ones eyes right to your gorgeous models\'s eyes. It is a wonderful photo, great lighting and a finalist for sure.
Jane

Hi Jane! Thanks so much! I looked at the white triangle, and decided that it would screw up the edge of the leather jacket if I tried to do anything with it, and I kinda' like the way it points toward Minky. I hope it'll work as is, but I sure appreciate your input.
It means a lot coming from you.

May 26, 2007 at 11:01 PM
Camare
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #251: Leather Sheet

Very nice, Philly!! Nicely exposed. Black cats are hard to photograph! She reminds me of our 4 black babies...Panther (the "runt") in particular. He had the tiny splattering of white bib fur. They were abandoned by their wild mom and we raised them from day One on bottles. What a joy and challenge!!! That was almost 20 years ago. They are memories now... Wonderful memories.

May 27, 2007 at 05:25 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password