WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2007 · #242: thirsty beetle

Beverly Guhl
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #242: thirsty beetle

Going on the theory that your first concept is probably your best... here's mine. This is a hand-made and hand-painted beetle pin, a true work of art, given to me as a gift a few years ago--captured here in my garden right after it stopped raining today. I was going for that double-take where for a split second you don't realize this handsome fella is really an impersonator.

C&C always welcome.

bev

Mar 15, 2007 at 02:42 PM
Patricia March
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #242: thirsty beetle

Beverly....outstanding shot!! ....the water droplets are so crystal clear and the pin
is gorgeous. Very well done!!

Patty

Mar 15, 2007 at 02:54 PM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #242: thirsty beetle

Can we do that? Either way, this is wonderful! I imediately said to myself, there is no way I can compete with that. The drops or water the clarity, the colors, all superb. Super Job and watch out, you are coming on strong! Here in Virginia Beach, there arn't many insects out right now. City life mainly and busy. So I have no idea or the equipment to get this close to an insect. I only have a 18mm lens and to get a really close shot, I need to literally be all the way up on it and chances are, I will loos it. So I am stuck on this one. Bummer. I think this is so motivational and inspiring to do. Wouldn't want to miss the opportunity! You are well on your way already!

Mar 15, 2007 at 02:59 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #242: thirsty beetle

Bravo, Bev! Nobody is going to be able to compete with that for creativity. You certainly did get a double take from me!! If this doesn't make the finals then I'll eat my camera bag . Perfect take on the WA. Now you can relax.

Fond regards,

Endre

Edited by Strad on Mar 15, 2007 at 12:10 PM GMT

Mar 15, 2007 at 03:04 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #242: thirsty beetle

Of course we can do things like that, Steven. Part of what Fred takes into consideration is overall creativity. After your runaway 1st place win (Quite an auspicious start, I'd say.) we are all awaiting your next entry with baited breath. Not that there is any pressure. By the way - Congratulations!

All the best,

Endre

Steven Roberts wrote:
Can we do that? Either way, this is wonderful! I imediately said to myself, there is no way I can compete with that. The drops or water the clarity, the colors, all superb. Super Job and watch out, you are coming on strong! Here in Virginia Beach, there arn't many insects out right now. City life mainly and busy. So I have no idea or the equipment to get this close to an insect. I only have a 18mm lens and to get a really close shot, I need to literally be all the way up on it and
...Show more

Mar 15, 2007 at 03:09 PM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #242: thirsty beetle

Strad, thanks. I am flattered, however very fortunate and humbled to be in this position. I may be leading right now, but I am sure that can change. The victory to me was getting up here, having the courage to even come to such fine people with my little stuff and hope I didn't get chewed up and spit out. Never imagined people would say the things they have about my shot! The reason I asked if we could do that was because I didn't or don't know what is what. Around here, I was thinking last night, what the heck can I do with no bugs around here in the City where we are surrounded by mainstream, military, and tourist? My eyes bout popped out of my head when I saw bev's idea and I was thinking something to that affect but didn't know if we could or not. Bev, this is just splendid and you have LAYED THE PRESSURE ON. lol and guys if you dont' mind, could you call me Just plain ole Steve? Don't know how to change that.

Mar 15, 2007 at 03:24 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #242: thirsty beetle

PATTY: Thank you so much. Your enthusiastic feedback really started my afternoon off great!!

STEVE: I'm having to sit down from such wonderful compliments, thanks. :-) Yes, we can do anything...nobody said the bug has to be alive or real, thankfully. Literal isn't a given, so just have fun with it. I'm sure you'll amaze us and yourself. Thanks again!

ENDRE: Maestro, what a superb compliment from you, thank you so much. You and others are soooooo creative, all I've done is get the ball rolling. One never knows about finalists. I sure hope I don't have to ask you if you'd like salt with your camera bag, for YOUR sake, not mine!!! :-)

bev

Mar 15, 2007 at 04:22 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #242: thirsty beetle

This is such a great shot all around Beverly, excellent on the creativity side and just technically perfect. Congratulations!

Mar 15, 2007 at 04:36 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #242: thirsty beetle

Highly unlikely that your lead will change, Steve. I find that with only very rare exceptions the early trends in the voting tend to continue throughout. Besides, many people agreed yours was the one to beat and sure enough...

All the best,

Endre

Steven Roberts wrote:
Strad, thanks. I am flattered, however very fortunate and humbled to be in this position. I may be leading right now, but I am sure that can change. The victory to me was getting up here, having the courage to even come to such fine people with my little stuff and hope I didn't get chewed up and spit out. Never imagined people would say the things they have about my shot! The reason I asked if we could do that was because I didn't or don't know what is what. Around here, I was thinking last night, what
...Show more

Mar 15, 2007 at 04:38 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #242: thirsty beetle

I'm afraid that since she is an Emergency Room Doc my wife, Mona, treats salt like it is a highly toxic controlled substance, so should I need to eat my camera bag, it will probably be lacking some flavor. On the other hand, I may try to get some of John's home made Chili sauce . i don't think I'll need to eat my bag, though.

Fond regards,

Endre

Beverly Guhl wrote:
ENDRE: Maestro, what a superb compliment from you, thank you so much. You and others are soooooo creative, all I've done is get the ball rolling. One never knows about finalists. I sure hope I don't have to ask you if you'd like salt with your camera bag, for YOUR sake, not mine!!! :-)

bev

Edited by Strad on Mar 15, 2007 at 04:59 PM GMT

Mar 15, 2007 at 04:43 PM
Greg Underwood
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #242: thirsty beetle

Wow. Love the lighting and composition...and you got me, I did the double-take

Mar 15, 2007 at 05:07 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #242: thirsty beetle

jban99 wrote:
This is such a great shot all around Beverly, excellent on the creativity side and just technically perfect. Congratulations!

Thanks so much, John! BTW, do you have some chili sauce for Endre, just in case? (see his comments here). ;-)

Mar 15, 2007 at 05:08 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #242: thirsty beetle

... I've asked John if he has some handy. We'll see. Love your entry, btw, wow!!!

Mar 15, 2007 at 05:09 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #242: thirsty beetle

Greg Underwood wrote:
Wow. Love the lighting and composition...and you got me, I did the double-take

Yesssss, another victim fooled. :-) THANKS, Greg, and congrats on being a finalist!

Mar 15, 2007 at 05:11 PM
Louis Simpson
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #242: thirsty beetle

I really, really like this one Beverly! Excellent job. You and Endre have sent the bar for this week into the stratosphere!

Mar 15, 2007 at 06:24 PM
hhski
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #242: thirsty beetle

Im looking at the thumbnails and thinking oh s...... I could see the antenae the repeating geometry of the leaves. Then I see it Beverlys and think I guess its buggy where she is. I also think how perfect. I actually thought of useing a paper mache cricket from Oaxaca. I guess it time put my game on.

Mar 15, 2007 at 07:38 PM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #242: thirsty beetle

Well, Bev, I'm with Endre. Not only will I eat my camera bag, but my little camera, too. (And my tripod!) I'm really brave when I know I'll never have to do it.

But, the heartbreaking thing (for me) is, I had the same idea. Unfortunately, I was on a 4 hour drive when I thought of it, and was going to shoot it when I got back home tomorrow.

You beat me to the punch, and it's a certified TKO! Mine would NEVER have been this spectacular.

As always, pure excellence! You're amazing.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:54 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #242: thirsty beetle

Super picture. Great focus framing, lighting, creativity.

As I saw the contest, I though - no fair the bugs don't come out for several months - but you solved it without bugs.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:21 AM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #242: thirsty beetle

Looks like this weeks assignment will bring out some real stuff in the creativity department because bottom line is that we don't have any bugs out right now. I sure don't have a idea what to do yet.

Edited by Steven Roberts on Mar 16, 2007 at 10:07 PM GMT

Mar 16, 2007 at 01:29 AM
hopes2
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #242: thirsty beetle

Bev,
Fantastic, classy, crisp and colorful-- a powerful trifecta.

Dan.

Mar 16, 2007 at 01:33 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.