WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2007 · #239: Target Practice

Philly Rains
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · #239: Target Practice

Tom.........whatever Kudos haven't already been said are from me! It isn't often that we have a run-away first place, but I think you've done it, for sure!

Amazing on all fronts.

I don't have enough superlatives in my vocabulary for this one!
Good for you!!

Feb 19, 2007 at 04:57 PM
Wilson-
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · #239: Target Practice

Holy $hit Tom, this is 1million percent awesome! You've really done a marvelous job with a very ingenious setup, you are the man!! Doc Edgerton is looking down at this picture and he is smiling from ear to ear. I haven't been jealous of anyone's picture until this one. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!

Feb 19, 2007 at 05:27 PM
MarcR
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · #239: Target Practice

Tom,

Very very cool!

Feb 19, 2007 at 05:41 PM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · #239: Target Practice

Wow, thank you all very much. Wilson really hit the nail on the head. Doc Edgerton is my inspiration in this shot. Edgerton grew up and graduated high school in my home town in Nebraska. He then went on to become a professor of electrical engineering and a master photographer at MIT. Edgerton invented the photographic strobe. As a child the defining vision when nearing home at night was the vision of Edgerton's strobes in the top of our old courthouse. He donated some of his original strobes to the town years before my birth.

At the county museum I once attended a demonstration and explanation of Edgerton's invention "The Piddler". The Piddler consists of a tub of antifreeze green water pumped through 2 pieces of tubing back into the tub from about a foot above the tub. With just overhead lights it looked like 2 miniature garden hoses with green water coming out. When the lights were turned down and his strobe lights turned on suddenly it looked like individual drops of water. As the strobe is speeded up the drops begin to slow down until at just the right speed the drops appear to be suspended in mid air. If the strobe is turned even faster the drops appear to be going backward from the tub into the hose ends. Well I was impressed.

Original prints of many of Edgerton's photographs were also displayed in the museum. I always loved his famous bullet photos of the apple and playing card. Since Edgerton’s death The Edgerton Explorit Center has been constructed in Aurora, Nebraska funded by MIT, The Edgerton Foundation and the residents of Hamilton County Nebraska.

Without Edgerton's vision and invention photography today may be much different.

http://users.powwwer.net/ckds/ebay/edgerton.jpg

http://users.powwwer.net/ckds/ebay/edgerton2.jpg

Again thanks all for your kind comments.

Feb 19, 2007 at 08:45 PM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · #239: Target Practice

Says a lot about your photographic expertise and equipment Tom. Terrific capture.

PS - Shame about the antique bottle though

Cheers. Bill

Feb 19, 2007 at 09:22 PM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · #239: Target Practice

Bill...make no mistake...no antiques destroyed. The bottle came from Wal-Mart last summer. The contents were just terrible. Even my teenage boys wouldn't drink it. Thanks.

Feb 19, 2007 at 09:28 PM
jmkenton

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · #239: Target Practice

Just amazing both the photograph and the engineering. A finalist for sure

Jon

Feb 20, 2007 at 01:56 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · #239: Target Practice

Wow that is amazing!

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:41 AM
nlamendo
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · #239: Target Practice

Hi Tom,
Awesome shot!! Thanks for sharing your technique. Did it require more than one attempt to get it right? Well done!!
-Nick

Feb 20, 2007 at 07:56 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · #239: Target Practice

Extraordinary capture Tom, congratulations!

Feb 21, 2007 at 06:38 AM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · #239: Target Practice

Thank you for your comments Jon, Mohammed, Nick and John, I appreciate them. Nick, I destroyed 4 bottles experimenting and fired 6 rounds, I still have plenty of ammunition left to do some more experiments.

Feb 21, 2007 at 03:10 PM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · #239: Target Practice

What we do for this love...... Very nice entry Tom. Awsome.
Christian

Feb 21, 2007 at 08:59 PM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · #239: Target Practice

Thanks Christian...this one has me looking at some other possibilities.

Feb 24, 2007 at 05:39 AM
DonT
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · #239: Target Practice

Great shot and creative trigger.

I remember an old circuit book my dad gave me from Radio Shack. It had examples of sound triggers for flash photography. So I went online to see if I could find more information. This site has trigger circuit designs for light and sound. I thought some of you in the group might find it useful in the future.

Make your own trigger

Feb 24, 2007 at 01:22 PM
ruuskan
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · #239: Target Practice

Just great!

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · #239: Target Practice

Thanks Don and Jouko. Don, I have seen the HiVis site. They are a great source. I haven't gotten around to ordering any of their stuff yet but I will soon. Again thanks for your comments.

I have posted another similar shot in my gallery. I call this one Creamed Peas.

Feb 27, 2007 at 08:54 PM
Fishit
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · #239: Target Practice

Impressive picture Tom, how many frames did you shoot during this capture or is it just one try?

Tom Basore wrote:
Target practice is another use for empty bottles as long as the shards are contained. This bottle was shot with a .22 long rifle cartridge traveling at approx. 1,000 feet per second. This experiment was done safely in a very controlled environment. Comments and Criticism always appreciated.

Mar 02, 2007 at 08:18 AM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · #239: Target Practice

Fishit wrote:
Impressive picture Tom, how many frames did you shoot during this capture or is it just one try?

Thanks for the complement. For the capture of the picture it is one frame. I shot several frames before the bottle was shot to get the best lighting placement. I also shot 3 bottles before this one to get the trigger placement where I wanted it. All total I shot probably 30-40 frames. Now the "creamed peas" shot was 3 or 4 lighting shots and 1 shot for the capture.

Mar 02, 2007 at 10:09 AM
brian242alex

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · #239: Target Practice

Homemade trinkets made to compliment an artists expression are my favorite. I like rigging things, and like having the thought..."I wonder how I can do that"?

Apr 04, 2014 at 08:26 AM
dksanblue

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · #239: Target Practice

Great capture!!

Apr 05, 2014 at 09:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.