Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · #238: geometric symmetry

Rob_O
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #238: geometric symmetry

C&C on processing welcomed.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:04 AM
markoner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #238: geometric symmetry

Excellent picture and processing to me !
Unsure about the black rectangle in the foregound.

Great entry anyway.

Feb 12, 2007 at 08:17 AM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #238: geometric symmetry

Very interesting shot. I like the colors in this, and of course the perspective. I agree with Julien, the black rectangle is the only problem + it's off center which slightly takes away from the balance of the rest of the image. Nice!

Feb 12, 2007 at 02:31 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #238: geometric symmetry

Thanks Julien and Beverly ... appreciate the kind words.

Regarding the dark rectangle in the foreground, I left it thinking it added balance to the light overhead (also in the foreground) and played well into the theme of symmetry. Granted it's a tad off center.

When I first started processing the image, this element (paint on the skywalk) wasn't as prominent. After applying several adjustment layers and with some dodging/burning, it became darker and darker relative to the surrounding concrete.

Consider it the antidote to a perfectly symmetrical world. ;-)

Feb 12, 2007 at 09:12 PM
teglis
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #238: geometric symmetry

I must admit I hadn't noticed the dark rectangle until reading the comments. Though slightly off centre, I find it feels like a reflection of the dark rectangle at the top of the frame. Nice entry, very graphic.

Feb 13, 2007 at 01:23 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #238: geometric symmetry

I love the bilateral symmetry...the rectangle doesn't bother me at all...good entry.

Feb 13, 2007 at 05:18 AM
jmkenton

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #238: geometric symmetry

Nice shot Rob, very Cathedral like. Some of the shadows still seem a little dark to me. Did you try any versions that had them lightened?

Jon

Feb 13, 2007 at 06:17 AM
canandaigua ph
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #238: geometric symmetry

beautiful symmetry and geometrics, and i like the B&W
Peter

Feb 13, 2007 at 03:52 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #238: geometric symmetry

teglis wrote:
I must admit I hadn't noticed the dark rectangle until reading the comments. Though slightly off centre, I find it feels like a reflection of the dark rectangle at the top of the frame. Nice entry, very graphic.

Thanks Richard.

Feb 13, 2007 at 05:08 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #238: geometric symmetry

1_of_9 wrote:
I love the bilateral symmetry...the rectangle doesn't bother me at all...good entry.

Cheers Jim.

Feb 13, 2007 at 05:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rob_O
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #238: geometric symmetry

jmkenton wrote:
Nice shot Rob, very Cathedral like. Some of the shadows still seem a little dark to me. Did you try any versions that had them lightened?

Jon

Cheers Jon.

The processing was intentionally dark as I wanted to give emphasis to the lines and forms ... not necessarily detail in the subject. In other words, it's meant to be more graphic than photographic

I have a perfectly exposed original where rivets in the steel arches are visible, the blue sky and white clouds nicely detailed, and the concrete sidewalk/skyway exactly as witnessed when shot ... but that photographic representation downplays the geometric elements I ultimately envsiaged. ;-)

Feb 13, 2007 at 05:14 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #238: geometric symmetry

canandaigua ph wrote:
beautiful symmetry and geometrics, and i like the B&W
Peter

Appreciate the comment(s) Peter ... Thanks.

Feb 13, 2007 at 05:15 PM
FretNoMore
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #238: geometric symmetry

This is ia great shot, I like the contrast and all the geometry. I don't mind the dark square in the foreground, I think it nicely balances the one at the top.I might have cropped it so it touches the edge like the one at the top though.

Also, a what-if (or an idea for a re-take later), a person standing at the end of the walkway might be cool.

Feb 14, 2007 at 09:51 AM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #238: geometric symmetry

FretNoMore wrote:
This is ia great shot, I like the contrast and all the geometry. I don't mind the dark square in the foreground, I think it nicely balances the one at the top.I might have cropped it so it touches the edge like the one at the top though.

Also, a what-if (or an idea for a re-take later), a person standing at the end of the walkway might be cool.

Anders ... thanks for the kind words and feedback. Adding a person is a great suggestion and I'd actually hoped to try that when shooting, but the only person with me was my 5 year-old son -- who couldn't stand still to save his life and whose diminutive height distorted the scale. I waited around quite a while for someone to pass. Unfortunately, it wasn't until I was a good 50 yeards away before a jogger went across the skywalk ... a perfect subject but not so perfect timing.

Cheers

Feb 14, 2007 at 04:11 PM
hhski
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #238: geometric symmetry

Dont know how I missed this last night. Great shot. I didnt notice the rectangle on first glance but masking out the more shadowed area that it lay in made for a more dramatic image. Great shot sure ot be in the finals. IMO

Feb 14, 2007 at 04:24 PM
Medowlark
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #238: geometric symmetry

This is indeed very graphic. Not my cup of tea, but I think very successful for what you aimed to produce. Well done.

Al

Feb 14, 2007 at 05:14 PM
Patricia March
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #238: geometric symmetry

great entry....I love the perspective and geometry.

Patty

Feb 14, 2007 at 05:55 PM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #238: geometric symmetry

Very cool, I like this symmetrical comp very much.
Christian

Feb 14, 2007 at 06:43 PM
gvarma
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #238: geometric symmetry

Great shot. There is a feeling of being caged in with the mesh on top. However as one looks to the end, the meshes seem to disappear and can see hope at the end. Like the fact that you have lightened the exit. The patch at the bottom grounds the photo.

Feb 14, 2007 at 06:47 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password