Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · EF-s to EF adapter

Mauro Moretti
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EF-s to EF adapter

Hi, this is my first post after years of being just a reader. Thanks to all of you for the very useful information you all post in these forums.

I was thinking that since a 17-55 EF-S on a 30D is almost the same as a 24-105 4L IS on a 5D regarding reach, High ISO performance and DOF, could it be possible to add a "1.6x" converter to the EF-S and have a 27 - 88 4.5 IS.

With such a converter, we could buy EF-S lenses without worries of future incompatibility regarding FF.

Feb 04, 2007 at 02:29 PM
Fred Relaix
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EF-s to EF adapter

EF-S are reduced circle lenses. They will never be compatible with FF for obvious reason... they would not cover the sensor and you would have black corners.
Fred

Feb 04, 2007 at 02:33 PM
Mauro Moretti
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EF-s to EF adapter

Yes, but similar to the 1.4x adapter, the circle could be expanded to cover a FF sensor. That would be the reason that the lens becomes a f4.5 instead of f2.8.

Mauro

Feb 04, 2007 at 02:36 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EF-s to EF adapter

Not a good idea. You would also be expanding the lens flaws and introducing extra flaws from the converter.

All the same, welcome to the FM forums, Mauro (first post).

Feb 04, 2007 at 02:44 PM
Mauro Moretti
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EF-s to EF adapter

Thanks Monito,

I understand you will be expanding the lens flaws and introduce extra ones, but you start with a very good lens with superb resolution (better than 24-105 4L), and the "arriving" FF sensor has much more pixels, so resolution wise in print, maybe the difference will be not as important.

Do you think a simple extender could do the trick?

Mauro

Feb 04, 2007 at 03:04 PM
emgvod
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EF-s to EF adapter

In real terms I'm not sure how much "better" the 17-55 is than the 24-105 but I would put some pretty serious money on the 24-105 being head and shoulders better than 17-55 with a 1.4 TC attached to it.
There are a lot of things that can be made to "work" and I'm not sure if this is one of those. Either way seems like a rather odd idea when there are excellent lenses available for 1.3 and FF cameras in this range already like the 24-70 and 24-105L's.
TC's work best with long primes not short zooms.

Feb 04, 2007 at 03:28 PM
DrPablo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EF-s to EF adapter

The only way you could do this is by using extension tubes, which would allow you to use an EF-S lens as a macro on full frame, but it would eliminate anything near infinity focus. As you move the lens away from the sensor the image circle gets larger, but infinity focus will be long gone by the time your image circle is big enough to cover a full frame sensor.

Are the teleconverters even compatible with EF-S lenses?

Feb 04, 2007 at 03:42 PM
wimg
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EF-s to EF adapter

Theoretically, you would need to magnify the image by 1.6X. In practice you will probably, especially at the loner end of a zoom, a little less. One way to tackle this is to use a 1.5X or 1.7X tc/extender. 1.4X is probaly to little, and 2.0X very makes IQ too little to even consider. You would need a 3rd party tc, like a Tamron, Tokina, Kenko or Sigma, as Canon extenders won't work with anything shorter than a 135L.

As others noted, you will not only magnify the focal lenght, but also any lens errors and aberrations, probably downgrading the lens quality by 1 or 2 grades, while making it a slower lens too. At 1.4X you lose 1 f-stop, ar 1.7X 1 1/2 stops, and at 2.0X 2 whole stops.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Feb 04, 2007 at 05:29 PM
jvarszegi
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EF-s to EF adapter

There's no reason it couldn't work. One good scheme would be a wide-angle optical adapter mounted between the lens and camera. It's been debated before.

The real answer is that you shouldn't worry about the resale amount of a lens you buy, least of all EF-S lenses which tend to cost less in the first place and may offer unmatched abilities (such as the 17-55 IS, which offers a great deal more sharpness than the 24-105 IS and is wider to boot on a crop camera). You should buy what you need and use it.

Feb 04, 2007 at 05:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mauro Moretti
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EF-s to EF adapter

So, in theory, it would be possible to have such a converter, but you all feel the compromise in image quality will not make this adapter a good option for people moving to FF.

Better to sell any EF-S lenses and buy the corresponding EF, or use the 1.6x camera as a backup.

Thanks for the responses
Mauro

Feb 04, 2007 at 06:11 PM
wimg
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EF-s to EF adapter

Hi Mauro,
Mauro Moretti wrote:
So, in theory, it would be possible to have such a converter, but you all feel the compromise in image quality will not make this adapter a good option for people moving to FF.

Not in my opinion, no .

Better to sell any EF-S lenses and buy the corresponding EF, or use the 1.6x camera as a backup.
Why? Why not keep those lenses as a back-up? I think there are occasions when you would want to use a smaller camera, but need similar lenses.

It is likely that at soem stage I will go FF, but I won't sell any of my current lenses, except maybe the 18-55 kit lens. But then, I do not use the kit lens ...

Thanks for the responses
Mauro

Kind regards, Wim

Feb 04, 2007 at 06:21 PM
Tom Steele
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EF-s to EF adapter

Mauro Moretti wrote:
Hi, this is my first post after years of being just a reader. Thanks to all of you for the very useful information you all post in these forums.

I was thinking that since a 17-55 EF-S on a 30D is almost the same as a 24-105 4L IS on a 5D regarding reach, High ISO performance and DOF, could it be possible to add a "1.6x" converter to the EF-S and have a 27 - 88 4.5 IS.

With such a converter, we could buy EF-S lenses without worries of future incompatibility regarding FF.

It is my new mission to debunk this kind of thinking! I see this said over and over about the EF-S lenses being incompatible with full frame/1.3 crop cameras and thus they are dead ends.

Look around at the 1D/5D shooters and see how many of them sold their 20D/30D's when it came time to upgrade...

I think most people KEEP their 20D/30D as a backup body when they upgrade to a 1D/5D and those EF-S lenses still keep right on being good lenses if you do that.

Plus, as anyone knows, selling an EF-S lens used isn't a huge-loss proposition. Heck, I saw a 17-55 IS go for about $925 on Ebay when I was purchasing my new one from B&H with the PSJAN code for just a few dollars more... There is no reason to worry about your EF-S lenses.

Feb 04, 2007 at 07:45 PM
JohnLL
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EF-s to EF adapter

Most TCs only work (reasonably) well on tele lenses. They are not intended for mid-range or WA lenses, and if they work at all, the results will be pretty bad.

Feb 04, 2007 at 08:50 PM
mathayde
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EF-s to EF adapter

Actually it would work as long as your focal length isnt below about 24mm, I have an APS-C sized Sigma lens and I can use it with my Film, At shorter lengths you can see the image circle clearly (kinda cool like a fisheye) but once it is zoomed a bit you can have the whole frame showing. But still you wont get the best quality from this..

Feb 04, 2007 at 10:40 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EF-s to EF adapter

Just buy the lenses that give you a good range for your camera. They hold their value well, especially the 10-22mm. It is foolish to avoid the EF-S 10-22mm and get the EF 17-40 instead, "just in case" you move up to full frame. That just in case may never arrive or it may be delayed by a year or two or seven and then you would be missing out on the crucial ultrawide end. Or you may be like me and keep the 20D and the 10-22mm, a fabulous combination.

Feb 05, 2007 at 09:29 AM
limitdown
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EF-s to EF adapter

I'm sure sombody has tried something similar (and likely failed) in the good-old film days, like putting a 35mm lens on a medium format camera.

Feb 05, 2007 at 11:22 AM
DrPablo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EF-s to EF adapter

limitdown wrote:
I'm sure sombody has tried something similar (and likely failed) in the good-old film days, like putting a 35mm lens on a medium format camera.

People do that for macro photography, but again you can't use it as a general lens that way. I have a large format macro lens that will only cover medium format at infinity, but it will cover 5x7 at 1:1 magnification and 8x10 at 2:1 magnification. Infinity focus occurs when the lens-film distance equals the focal length. 1:1 macro occurs when the lens-film distance is double the focal length. 2:1 macro occurs at triple the focal length. So infinity focus is usually at or near the closest your lens elements can get to the film. Moving the lens farther away can get you a larger image circle and closer focus, but you can't focus on distant things anymore and still cover the film/sensor.

Feb 05, 2007 at 12:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password