WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2006 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

relms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

This was taken Sunday evening at Stallworth Lake, which is one of the dune lakes in Walton County, Florida. Dune lakes are unique to Walton County and are not to be found anywhere else on the planet. This one empties into the Gulf of Mexico at the left of the photo. C&C welcomed. (Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, 1/6 sec, f/3.5, ISO 400)

Robert

Edited by relms on Dec 12, 2006 at 07:49 AM GMT (Reason: corrected typo)

Dec 11, 2006 at 08:41 PM
Patricia March
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Wow...Just when you think it can't get any better....It does!!
Very nice entry!

Patty

Dec 11, 2006 at 08:53 PM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Yet another fantastic shot Robert. Outstanding sunset and a beautiful view. Very nice.

Dec 11, 2006 at 09:04 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Beautiful photo, Robert! (So what else is new??) The colors are ravishing. It's kind of hard to make out what's what but that makes it a really nice abstract. What exactly is a dune lake? Bravo!

Fond regards,

Endre

Dec 12, 2006 at 03:15 AM
MarcR
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Jesus, that's bloody brilliant! The water surface is so
calm that everything seems to be hovering.

Best,
Marc.

Dec 12, 2006 at 07:47 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Beautiful colors Robert...Sometimes it seems God just makes special moments just for those that are there to appreciate it..thanks for sharing yours.

Dec 12, 2006 at 11:13 AM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Patricia March wrote:
Wow...Just when you think it can't get any better....It does!!
Very nice entry!

Patty

Patty,

That's quite a compliment! Thank you!

Dec 12, 2006 at 04:49 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Tom Basore wrote:
Yet another fantastic shot Robert. Outstanding sunset and a beautiful view. Very nice.

Tom,

I had hoped to capture even a small fraction of the awesome beauty that I witnessed. When I first came upon this Sunday evening, the beauty of it took my breath away. The Master Painter had created yet another masterpiece in a matter on minutes.

Best regards,
Robert

Dec 12, 2006 at 04:59 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Strad wrote:
Beautiful photo, Robert! (So what else is new??) The colors are ravishing. It's kind of hard to make out what's what but that makes it a really nice abstract. What exactly is a dune lake? Bravo!

Fond regards,

Endre

Endre,

I am taking a little heat over the A (abstract) word. I would never intentionally create one.

Dune lakes are found along the Gulf Coast in Walton County. We have sixteen of them, and they are found nowhere else in the US; however, I do understand that they are also found in Madagascar, Australia and New Zealand. Those who keep up with such things say that these lakes were formed anywhere from two and ten thousand years ago. The sand dunes, some as high as 30 feet, were created by wind blown sand coming off the beaches, making a natural dam for the lakes, which are filled by rain water and natural springs. Throughout the year, especially after heavy rains, many of these lakes will create meandering streams of water that find their way to the gulf. This allows salt water and fresh water to continually exchange and flush out the lakes creating some of the most distinct ecosystems in the world.

This is probably TMI, but you asked.

Best regards,
Robert

Dec 12, 2006 at 05:18 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

MarcR wrote:
Jesus, that's bloody brilliant! The water surface is so
calm that everything seems to be hovering.

Best,
Marc.

Marc,

The dock does appear to be suspended over the water due to the calm water reflection and the low light environment. You have a good eye to have noticed.

Dec 12, 2006 at 05:23 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

1_of_9 wrote:
Beautiful colors Robert...Sometimes it seems God just makes special moments just for those that are there to appreciate it..thanks for sharing yours.

Jim, how right you are! I try to take in as much as I can absorb every hour of every day.

Dec 12, 2006 at 05:26 PM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Robert, you have far exceeded even your usual high standards - beautiful work!

Dec 12, 2006 at 08:04 PM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Gorgeous shot Robert. A notch above the rest this week in my opinion.
Christian

Dec 12, 2006 at 10:08 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

CalW wrote:
Robert, you have far exceeded even your usual high standards - beautiful work!

Thank you, Cal! I appreciate your kind words.

Dec 13, 2006 at 09:28 AM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

cennerfelt wrote:
Gorgeous shot Robert. A notch above the rest this week in my opinion.
Christian

Christian,

I am glad you like it. Thanks for your comments. That's high praise, given the quality of the entries this week, including your own.

Best regards,
Robert

Dec 13, 2006 at 09:31 AM
canandaigua ph
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Robert..I really enjoy that there are 2 predominant tones in the image, the orange and blue.
My eyes first notice the 2 tones, then slowly center on the dock which connects the 2 tones.
Great image, it's very peaceful!
BTW there are small lakes formed by similar geological actions at the eastern end of Lake Ontario, which catches most of the prevailing winds. The dunes there are up to 100 ft and there is a series of small lakes behind them that stretch for miles and occaisionally feed into the lake between the dunes. Of course, there's no salt water there. The bass fishing can be pretty good in them.
super entry
kudos
Peter

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:19 AM
CarusoPhoto

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

Such a fine, fine photograph. Composition, color, mood and feel are all top notch. Wonderful control and mastery.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:00 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

CarusoPhoto wrote:
Such a fine, fine photograph. Composition, color, mood and feel are all top notch. Wonderful control and mastery.

Sometimes we just get lucky, John. I was heading to Baytowne Wharf to shoot some night-time street scenes when I came across this, and I was literally mesmerized by it. I must have taken fifty shots using different camera settings and compositions. The toughest decision was in choosing the one to enter.

Thanks for commenting.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:36 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

canandaigua ph wrote:
Robert..I really enjoy that there are 2 predominant tones in the image, the orange and blue.
My eyes first notice the 2 tones, then slowly center on the dock which connects the 2 tones.
Great image, it's very peaceful!
BTW there are small lakes formed by similar geological actions at the eastern end of Lake Ontario, which catches most of the prevailing winds. The dunes there are up to 100 ft and there is a series of small lakes behind them that stretch for miles and occasionally feed into the lake between the dunes. Of course, there's no salt water there. The
...Show more

Peter,

I always appreciate your comments, and I especially appreciate your commenting on the serenity of the image. As I stated in earlier posts, I was awed by it.

Some of my Auburn University buddies would be proud of me for displaying the orange and blue.

Best regards,
Robert

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:50 PM
Fishit
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #231: Stallworth After Dark

This is a nice picture and captures the Lakes very well, I love that area of Florida and have some pictures of the Lakes in Lakewood with my digital Holga = HP315 2.0 MP

Nice work here I like the reflection abstract appeal, well at least to me.

relms wrote:
This was taken Sunday evening at Stallworth Lake, which is one of the dune lakes in Walton County, Florida. Dune lakes are unique to Walton County and are not to be found anywhere else on the planet.
Robert

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.