New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2006 · Iraqi School Children

jonwienke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Iraqi School Children

http://www.visual-vacations.com/images/2006-10-07_0008.jpg

I shot this in Ramadi, Iraq while visiting a school with a medical team offering medical checkups to the children. Comments and constructive criticisms welcome.

Dec 03, 2006 at 02:07 PM
Mitchel107
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Iraqi School Children

maybe a polarizer filter and expose a little more?

get in front of the door some more so that you can see the girls coming in....

its hard to see anything, but i like the subject

Dec 03, 2006 at 02:14 PM
jonwienke
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Iraqi School Children

The windows were dirty, so a polarizer wouldn't have helped. Polarizers are good at reducing reflections, but not dirt. More exposure would have helped the noise in some of the darker tones, but at the cost of blowing out most of the background (some of which is already completely blown out).

Dec 03, 2006 at 02:38 PM
Mitchel107
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Iraqi School Children

i mean, i think that the polarizer would have cut the glare in the background a little, then you could have openned the lens more or bumped the iso....

...i think im going to check out your site...

Dec 03, 2006 at 02:40 PM
jonwienke
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Iraqi School Children

It was really bright outside compared to the light inside the room; a polarizer wouldn't have helped. Fill flash would have helped the lighting balance, but then you get the harsh shadows from the flash unless you set up strobes w/umbrellas...

I was there to assist with medical treatments, (I'm an Army medic) and wearing body armor and combat gear, so I was pretty limited in what I could realistically carry with me. I shot the photo with an Olympus SP-350 pocket camera.

Dec 03, 2006 at 03:10 PM
Mitchel107
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Iraqi School Children

oh...ok

i guess you need bullets and bandaids in all of those cargo pockets huh?

no filters

8)

Dec 03, 2006 at 03:13 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Iraqi School Children

Hi Jonathan.

I like that this is done in B&W. It gives it a certain feel. I also like the eye contact of the girl coming through the door. Do you have any more from there?

I would maybe try and tweak this a little to get more detail out of it. I feel for you only having an Olympus SP-350 pocket camera.

Thanks for serving. My nephew is a US Marine (2, 8) in Ramadi now.

Take care :0)

d~

Thanks for the permission to tweak your photograph :0)

d~

I dodged the girls face a bit. Burned in the edges and blurred the noise. How does this look?

http://www.pbase.com/dennislaska/image/71149273.jpg

Edited by fotografur on Dec 03, 2006 at 04:16 PM GMT

Edited by fotografur on Dec 04, 2006 at 09:11 PM GMT

Dec 03, 2006 at 04:03 PM
tsaraleksi
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Iraqi School Children

Looks pretty good to me, I think-- the story vastly overwhelms any technical deficency. Heck, there's a war journalist out there who only uses little oly pocket cameras. Better the camera you can carry than the fancy one that stays home.

Dec 03, 2006 at 04:05 PM
Mitchel107
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Iraqi School Children

i agree.

Dec 03, 2006 at 04:09 PM
Mark Pelletier
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Iraqi School Children

I like the mood here and the eye contact. Nice work

mark

Dec 03, 2006 at 11:40 PM
Duncan Staples
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Iraqi School Children

Jonathan:

Very nice. Maybe boost the contrast just a bit with levels or curves and remove just a bit of noise - some noise is good. The story is key.

BTW - read your blog from start to finish and am very impressed with everything from your courage, training and commitment to excellence in your work as a medic and soldier.

Stay safe and god bless.

Duncan

Dec 03, 2006 at 11:51 PM
jonwienke
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Iraqi School Children

tsaraleksi wrote:
Better the camera you can carry than the fancy one that stays home.

That is exactly the situation; I have a 1Ds and an 1D-MkII and a bunch of L glass, but 40 lbs of photo gear is just too much when you're wearing 30+ lbs of body armor and protective gear, carrying an M-16 and 200+ rounds of ammo (12 pounds or so, medics carry the same ammo load as grunts because they get shot at even more than infantry), plus a 20-25 lb. aid bag. At least the SP-350 does RAW, so I have some decent workflow options with it.

When we first arrived at the school, the children were very shy and intimidated by our presence; a bunch of soldiers in full battle gear tend to have that effect, especially when people who associate with Americans tend to be targeted by insurgents. There had been drive-by shootings and other attacks at that school previously, though thankfully nothing happened that day. That was what was going on when I shot the photo in the original post. After I shot the photo, somebody had the bright idea of putting stuffed animals on our helmets under the NVG mounting bracket, and that totally broke the ice. The children thought it was hilarious, and weren't scared of us any more.

http://www.visual-vacations.com/images/2006-10-07_0025.jpg

Dec 04, 2006 at 03:28 AM
plsand
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Iraqi School Children

Hi John -
I think that what you are presenting is just great - Just what the eye would see - I like it -
Paul

Dec 04, 2006 at 07:17 AM
jonwienke
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Iraqi School Children

Thank you all for your comments.

Dec 04, 2006 at 02:02 PM
gibson
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Iraqi School Children

Mark Pelletier wrote:
I like the mood here and the eye contact. Nice work

mark

Agree. Great eye contact.

Dec 04, 2006 at 09:09 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Iraqi School Children

Sadly, the OP and FM member who began this thread has been reported by the media, if not already convicted by the media, of being involved in a plot to shoot more than just photos... while working in the headquarters of DHS.

Long time FM'rs and RG'rs might remember Jonathan Wienke, who was very active on the forums 10 years ago, and particularly vocal in debating the practice of center point focus and recompose, writing long and complex treatises to illustrate the benefits of using peripheral focus points instead... before he suddenly left photography to rejoin the military in his late 30's when the maximum age limit was raised during the early years of the war in Iraq.

It is interesting comparing the incendiary news reports of today, as well as the comments made immediately following the news articles by random people who clearly only have the innuendo and sensationalized slant of the news report to go on... with my own memories of this FM'r. Quite a different picture, in fact.

And this made me wonder how many long time members here remember jonwienke... and how your picture of him, based on your interactions and memories, differs or aligns with the portrait of him now painted in the news.

The facts are he served in the Air Force (prior to joining FM), and in the US Army as well as the NRO and DHS (after leaving FM). I remember that he liked computers, cameras, guns, and knives... like a lot of American males. Earlier this month, he was selected for random screening, where his employer found 3 out of the 4 things he liked on his person.

In an apparent attempt to convince a judge that a search was warrantable on his house, the agent investigating jonwienke listed several [I]potential[/I] crimes as justification for the warrant, including attempt and conspiracy to assassinate, kidnap or assault a member of the executive branch of the government, false impersonation of a federal officer and possession of a firearm in a federal facility.

If I were a judge, this list of suspicions certainly would convince me that a search of his house may indeed be warranted, because he shouldn't have brought a gun to work. However, there is a big difference between justifiable probable cause to seek more evidence in order to protect others from harm... versus actually finding such proof that those potential crimes were imminent or intended.

He could have just had an elevated sense of personal paranoia requiring personal protection, or, the "I'm a federal agent" psychology that inflates the imaginations of desk bound analysts to covert operatives in the clandestine division. Those are just two of many other plausible, even if stupid, reasons why he had what he had on his person when he was searched. However, the practical conviction of sinister conspiracy issued by the media reports that is now forever uneraseable from Jonathan Wienke's history, and immediately accessible to all. That would be rather sad, if the only thing he was guilty of is being a self protectionist zealot.

This issue really hits close to home in several aspects. As a community of photographers, some of us work in this same brutally crucifying media. Some of us work in advertising, spending hoards of time honing the details of a single image to say just the right thing for the client... and may find it interesting how jonwienke's own selfies and images are being reinterpreted by commenters after ingesting the media story line that accompanies the photo that was lifted off his Facebook page.

And some of us may have read or even engaged in forum posts with jonwienke, and encountered nothing remotely suggestive of the current nature of suspicions. I do remember he was opinionated... but around here, who isn't?

What do you remember about this member?

Jun 22, 2016 at 06:51 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Iraqi School Children

whoa, that was heavy. I'd like to read the news reports if possible, do you have links to that?

edit: google came back with several article links. The reports certainly do seem odd at this point.

Jun 22, 2016 at 07:05 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Iraqi School Children

This is a very current story. The incident actually occurred back on June 9, but the news broke only within the last 24 hours, due to a disclosed court filing.

Too many links out there to post, as the story is as hot as a volcano eruption, with new regurgitations of the same two line story springing forth every hour, from a different media outlet hoping to cash in on some more reader hits. I'm not going to pick a winner, or contribute to that cycle by posting links.

You can however, easily pick your own sources to read the same story by simply googling Jonathan Wienke. That will net plenty of hits regarding the DHS incident, and the public's reaction to it.

I found my own reactions to the story quite different, because I instantly recognized and remembered the name, and needed only 1 second to confirm on LinkedIn that this indeed was the very same jonwienke I knew from these forums. I haven't heard a peep about him in over a decade, but from what I remembered of his personality, it is not unreasonable for him to have what he had on his person, without having any sinister intent or plot against someone.

I understand and support the DHS's duty to investigate, but at the same time, I know a few people who are fanatical about carrying, and ironically, all of them worked for the US Government, and most of them in a capacity that did not require them to carry at all to properly perform their respective functions for the government.

So the leap from carrying to conspiracy certainly seems heightened with hysteria, which is also an understandable human reaction given recent events. But the cost to Jonathan Wienke, even if entirely innocent of all the "potential" suspicions suggested in order to obtain the warrant, and even if guilty of only being stupid enough to bring a gun to work where it isn't needed within the scope of one's responsibility... is ultimately the end of his ability to support himself financially.

Even if cleared... who would hire him? Even if he returned to full time photography, which he abandoned after a 2 year run because it was not enough to support himself... what client, after searching his name, would hire him to shoot their wedding? Or their kids? Would he bring a gun? Is there a knife in his photo backpack? Was he really planning to kill a member of the Executive branch, but they just couldn't prove it?

It's just so sad, that this man is now forever branded in this way, due to the nature of the media reports that are not ballasted by any other perspective about this individual. But we have another perspective, right here in this Fred Miranda forum, informed by over 2,600 posts made by Jonathan, not counting any private messages or interactions other long time FM members may have had with him on this and other forums.

I think it would be interesting to hear what those perspectives are from other members here who remember him.

Jun 22, 2016 at 07:39 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.