WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2006 · #230 Papa

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #230 Papa

A portrait of my Dad, who is 93 years old but who still drives his car and lives by himself.

Thanks to all of you who posted condolence comments for the tragic loss of our son. It's been two weeks and while it remains a source of daily pain, we are beginning to heal and go forward. Our many communities, (including this one here at the FM WA) have been unbelievably loving and supportive and we realize that we are incredibly blessed.

Nov 27, 2006 at 02:19 AM
MarcR
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #230 Papa

Endre,

What can one say? Splendid photograph! Subject,
facial expression, composition, lighting, tonal range,
DOF are all excellent. The pupils are a bit small,
but I guess that's more from age than from too bright
a light.

Best,
Marc.

Nov 27, 2006 at 06:39 AM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #230 Papa

Endre,

Welcome back, my friend. What a wonderful, wonderful image! You have captured not only the splendid details, but the character of the man in this powerful photo, and it is obvious from the interaction of photographer and subject the love and respect that the two of you share. You are blessed.

Best regards,
Robert

Nov 27, 2006 at 07:22 AM
ironabike
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #230 Papa

Welcome back, my friend. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have you back. I am glad that the love and healing energy that we sent across the miles, did just a bit to help.

Strad, this reminds me of my grandfather who at the same at age owned several businesses in a small town in Covington, Louisiana and drove himself to work every day to do his books on an old Burroughs You are so lucky to have him and his wisdom for so long. Was he born in Hungary? Can you imagine the changes that he has seen in their almost 100 years Wow!!

The composition is very interesting. Not one you usually see, but I really like it. Adds interest and "life". The lighting is your usual .

Welcome back--you have been missed.
Jane

Nov 27, 2006 at 07:43 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #230 Papa

Welcome back, welcome, welcome. Some things never completely heal, yet we must go on, and I knew that you would.

You've captured a lot of your Dad's strength here, and I feel as if I can see why he has been here so long, and will likely be here a good while yet. I also feel that I can see some of your character in the portrait, as well as his. A very successful effort.

Nov 27, 2006 at 08:59 AM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #230 Papa

Hi Endre, really glad to see you back. But you never really left us, always in our hearts, praying for you and your family. Now, to you dad, wow, does this photo show love or what. His expression is absolutely wonderful. Very nice lighting. Ineresting composition, I like it.
Christian

Nov 27, 2006 at 09:19 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #230 Papa

Hi Endre - so good to see you post. I had suggested this theme for this week's topic with you in mind. I know that at a time of such tragic loss, it is the loved ones that lift you up and help you find your way towards healing.

This is a wonderful image of a man whose character is bursting through the frame.

Ed

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:14 AM
Tom Basore
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #230 Papa

Glad to see you Endre. This is a fabulous image. I love old folks. You can usually find me at family gatherings sitting with the old timers.

Everything about this photo breathes love of life, pride in accomplishment in life and dignity with age. I love it.

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:50 AM
MarcR
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #230 Papa

Endre,

Could you share some technical details about the lighting?

Marc.

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:57 AM
bouchto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #230 Papa

Endre,
You are truly a man of strength as you continue to move forward on the path of recovery from your incredible loss. You are utilizing the strength from the communities that are supporting you in a positive way, and instead of shutting down you are moving forward, such an example that you set for us all. The portrait of you father is amazing and I commend you. Some of the words that come to mind as I view his portrait are: Distinguished, clear/sharp, demands a second look, alert and full of energy and strength.
Endre, it is great to have you back as you are such a big part of the FM family.
Best regards,
Tom

Nov 27, 2006 at 12:05 PM
Artisador
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #230 Papa

Hello Endre,
I am moved by your portrait of your father. It is so filled with love and life. I lost my father in 2006, the day before Thanksgiving, when he was 89. I can tell how close you are to your father through this portrait. I worked with my father on and off for over 35 years, as artists, and his loss was a crushing blow to me. These things happen in life and it is beyond words to express the emotions. Ultimately our photos become what we have left, to document our memories, and they then become iconographs of our loved ones. What a treasure this portrait is now and will be for you.

So good to see you back on FM and to see your strength and courage.
Blessings to you and your family in the upcoming holidays, may they be filled with love, peace and assurance. Prayers, and deepest condolences regarding the loss of your son.

Warm regards,

/\rt

Nov 27, 2006 at 01:04 PM
Michael B
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #230 Papa

Hi Endre, wonderful to see your dad, and beautifully presented. It's wonderful to hear from you and great to have you on line, so to speak. Cheers.

Michael

Nov 27, 2006 at 05:16 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #230 Papa

Endre,
Wow, that is a great photo. Your fathers eyes say so much...you are lucky to have him. Take care of yourself and all your loved ones...I'm still thinking about you often - praying for the mending of your families hearts.
Jim

Nov 27, 2006 at 07:00 PM
Photonic
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #230 Papa

Endre,

This image is stunning in every way. Your father's eyes reveal the spirit of a young man and I have little doubt they shine for you.

Carl

Nov 27, 2006 at 09:23 PM
suse
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #230 Papa

Endre

However hard it might seem at the moment, my dear friend, you are indeed blessed. You're so lucky to have an amazing talent that your subjects appear with so much life and personality in your photographic work.

Your father's incredible personality utterly shines through this photograph. I envy you the love you have in your family and the talent you have.

lots of love
Sue

Nov 27, 2006 at 09:43 PM
shakes

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #230 Papa

It makes me smile just looking at your fathers portrait. Very nicely done.

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:35 PM
markoner
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #230 Papa

Endre,

Away from the forum for a while, I've been terribly upset to hear the bad news.
Life can be so hard sometimes we might forget it's beauty in the other extremity.
May the rest of your life be filled only with things coming from this part.

Your photo is just superb. I like everything in it.
Old and wise but still the impishness (not sure for the term excuse me) of a child in the look and smile.
He must be someone you really love for sure.

Julien

Nov 28, 2006 at 02:39 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #230 Papa

Thank you so much, Marc. Your kind comments are so flattering. The size of his pupils must really be due to age since it was really rather dark. To answer your later question about lighting: I set up a black velvet background and sat him near an open door so the light from the photo's left is natural light. Then, I used one of those weird, bright-white energy-efficient curlycue bulbs, positioned about 8 feet away, to get some fill light from the right.

All the best,

Endre

MarcR wrote:
Endre,

What can one say? Splendid photograph! Subject,
facial expression, composition, lighting, tonal range,
DOF are all excellent. The pupils are a bit small,
but I guess that's more from age than from too bright
a light.

Best,
Marc.

Nov 28, 2006 at 02:47 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #230 Papa

Thanks so much, Robert. I am (we are), indeed, blessed in many, many ways. I'm so glad you like the photo. Since Antal was his only grandson, his loss is particularly painful for for my dad. But Papa is a stoic and a survivor so I'm glad I was able to capture so much of his character in this photo. Your kind comments and welcome are much appreciated.

Fond regards,

Endre

relms wrote:
Endre,

Welcome back, my friend. What a wonderful, wonderful image! You have captured not only the splendid details, but the character of the man in this powerful photo, and it is obvious from the interaction of photographer and subject the love and respect that the two of you share. You are blessed.

Best regards,
Robert

Nov 28, 2006 at 02:56 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #230 Papa

Thank you so much, Jane! I really appreciate your warm welcome and all the kind thoughts you sent our way. They have been of immeasurable help to us all.

My dad was, indeed, born in Budapest before the 1st World War. He's full of great stories and his memories are a delightful source of great stories. I'm so glad the photo touched you so.

Fond regards,

Endre

ironabike wrote:
Welcome back, my friend. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have you back. I am glad that the love and healing energy that we sent across the miles, did just a bit to help.

Strad, this reminds me of my grandfather who at the same at age owned several businesses in a small town in Covington, Louisiana and drove himself to work every day to do his books on an old Burroughs You are so lucky to have him and his wisdom for so long. Was he born in Hungary? Can you imagine the changes that
...Show more

Nov 28, 2006 at 03:02 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.