Deadline: September 1st noon UTC/GMT

MA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Monthly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2006 · 37: Layers

Abstracter
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 37: Layers

Criticism and comments are always welcome.
Thanks.

Edited by Abstracter on Nov 23, 2006 at 03:38 PM GMT

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:41 PM
Lalex
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 37: Layers

Very perceptive image. An unbroken but labored heart with a halo. Beautifully done.

Nov 22, 2006 at 11:13 PM
Abstracter
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 37: Layers

My earlier submission: Heart
http://abstract.smugmug.com/photos/112234020-S.jpg

As I was confused between these two, I went with the photo with more details and complicated shadows.

Any suggestions or preference? Thanks.

Nov 23, 2006 at 04:40 PM
Abstracter
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 37: Layers

Lalex wrote:
Very perceptive image. An unbroken but labored heart with a halo. Beautifully done.

Thank you Lee for your comment for the "heart" shot. I felt there is more depth, shadows, dof effect in this layered shot. I hope you like this one too. looking forward to your thoughts.

Nov 23, 2006 at 11:03 PM
Lalex
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 37: Layers

Both are very exceptional submissions. You are right about your second submission. There is more DOF in its elliptical-conical perspective over the heart. But sentimentality pulls me towards your heart. Why not try shooting the heart with the layered elliptical-conical setup and see what you get. Nice work.

Nov 25, 2006 at 03:27 PM
samie
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 37: Layers

A truly fabulous to treat the subject...

Nov 26, 2006 at 02:00 PM
Abstracter
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 37: Layers

Lalex wrote:
Both are very exceptional submissions. You are right about your second submission. There is more DOF in its elliptical-conical perspective over the heart. But sentimentality pulls me towards your heart. Why not try shooting the heart with the layered elliptical-conical setup and see what you get. Nice work.

Lee, i was confused exactly the same way between two entries myself.
I tried the "layered heart" but could not get good results.
The reason is heart shape effect requires almost front lighting to generate the "halo" and sharp lines. On the other hand, the dof/layered effect needs angular light for shadows.
Thank you for your comment and suggestion.

Nov 27, 2006 at 11:37 AM
Abstracter
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 37: Layers

samie wrote:
A truly fabulous to treat the subject...

Thank you for your kind words, Samir.

Nov 27, 2006 at 11:38 AM
DWBell
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 37: Layers

Hurrah I made it through to the final selection with my 10 o'clock coffee!

But I'm so wrapped up in the tones of this image that I simply had to give you my vote! Great job, REALLY love it. (The heart one doesn't move me at all btw)

Kindest Regards
DWBell

Dec 07, 2006 at 02:34 AM
Abstracter
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 37: Layers

DWBell wrote:
Hurrah I made it through to the final selection with my 10 o'clock coffee!

But I'm so wrapped up in the tones of this image that I simply had to give you my vote! Great job, REALLY love it. (The heart one doesn't move me at all btw)

Kindest Regards
DWBell

Thank you very much for such a kind gesture and compliment
I went through your web-site and i like your bw work. do you follow any particular steps in conversion? the tones in "In memory" and "Maggie asleep" are excellent.

Dec 07, 2006 at 10:58 PM
DWBell
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 37: Layers

It's interesting that you picked those two in particular. They were done with a free action by a guy called Carr - the action is "Carr B&W". Then I went on to use other techniques including the FM action pack - but still the Carr stuff stands out I think. It prints really nice too, really nice.

If you can't find it on the net pm me and I'll mail it to you. It's a tiny simple little action. Somewhere there's a page where he explains why he did it like he did, I'll have to track it down.

Dec 08, 2006 at 03:12 AM
Kamil Kisiel
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 37: Layers

I got interested in this "Carr" technique... apparently it's by a guy named Rob Carr, the steps are explained on this page here:

http://weblog.slower.net/archives/3

and here is a bit more lengthy treatment:

http://www.designbyfire.com/000100.html

Dec 08, 2006 at 03:41 AM
DWBell
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 37: Layers

Yep, that's the guy - it's a shame I can't find his original article because in it he explained exaclty why he came up with this method, it was to do with tonality.

Dec 08, 2006 at 04:51 AM
Kamil Kisiel
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 37: Layers

Yeah I searched for a while for the original since it was referenced in other articles, but it does not appear to exist any longer.

Dec 08, 2006 at 06:24 AM
Abstracter
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 37: Layers

Thank you Duncan and Kamil. These links are very helpful.

The downloadable photoshop-action is not useful to me because I use GIMP for post-processing.

The conversion steps mentioned on the site were helpful. I was able to follow that with GIMP too. It certainly works great on the high/right portion (brighter parts) of the image histogram. certainly preserves a lot of details and gives nice tonal range on brigher parts. Although I noticed that i am loosing some details in shadows that I probably could preserve by manual (RGB layers) conversion. I am getting a lot of "spikes" on the bottom-left part of the histogram.

May be I will have to play around with settings a bit more and work on different images to get best out of the technique.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate it.

Dec 08, 2006 at 10:02 AM
chupacabra31
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 37: Layers

Remarkable image! Might I ask what lens was used?

Nov 23, 2014 at 02:07 PM

FM Forums | Monthly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.