Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2006 · #222: Alarming

Rob_O
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #222: Alarming

This is a section of wall on the side of a new commercial building nearby; here's another from an adjacent building in the same complex (my PaD for Saturday): http://www.pbase.com/robotography/image/67422494

C&C always welcomed.

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:26 AM
einarps
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #222: Alarming

Rob
I like your take on the assignment. The shot has an artistic reference to the subject and the photo is nicely constructed.
Einar

Sep 25, 2006 at 03:26 AM
DonT
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #222: Alarming

Nice sense of balance and right in line with the WA.

Sep 25, 2006 at 09:02 AM
rcarboni
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #222: Alarming

Excellent example of minimalism. I'm glad you provided the larger shot. I could not judge the sense of scale on this image. It was like some kind of optical illusion trying to figure it out.

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:41 AM
FretNoMore
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #222: Alarming

Very nice... almost perfect, I just wish all the lines where parallell with the edges, maybe a bit of perspective adjustment could fix that.

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:45 AM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #222: Alarming

einarps wrote:
Rob
I like your take on the assignment. The shot has an artistic reference to the subject and the photo is nicely constructed.
Einar

Thanks Einar ... definitely more along the lines of minimalism from an artistic perspective than other entries. Cheers.

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:59 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #222: Alarming

DonT wrote:
Nice sense of balance and right in line with the WA.

Thanks Don.

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:59 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #222: Alarming

rcarboni wrote:
Excellent example of minimalism. I'm glad you provided the larger shot. I could not judge the sense of scale on this image. It was like some kind of optical illusion trying to figure it out.

Yeah, the building, one of a series of structures, is basically a constructed from several huge slabs of concrete ... with vast empty spaces. The other shot definitely gives a better sense of scale. In fact, the wall is at least 30' tall (or taller) in some parts: see here and here. (I've used this building a number of times as a backdrop for auto shots.)

This is a crop of what was framed in camera, with the original shot including a chunk of sky above the building. I toyed with leaving the sky in, since it added another band of color and offered an additional sense of scale ... even though the alarm is a good 10+ feet off the ground, so still not a perfect representation of the walls vastness. I also thought including the sky, which had a few clouds, took away from the stark abstractness of this minimalist version, which is also very geometrically defined (where as having the clouds adds some organic elements).

Anyway ... thanks for the compliments.

Sep 25, 2006 at 01:11 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #222: Alarming

FretNoMore wrote:
Very nice... almost perfect, I just wish all the lines where parallell with the edges, maybe a bit of perspective adjustment could fix that.

Thanks Anders.

Regarding the lines not being perfectly parallel, that's because the building is actually angled from the point of orientation. In other words, from my position with the camera this point in the wall is slightly angled in (downward, from left-to-right) where it meets another wall just right of the concrete "seam" at the right of the image (that wall then angling, in frame, upward from left-to-right).

I did some paralax correction, since my perspective was shooting upward from essentially the bottom of what's visible here to about 10' above the roofline. I suppose I could have also done some perspective tweaking to force the lines parallel, as that'd probably be less visually distracting, but as-is pretty much represents the lines as they actually are.

And, as mentioned in the reply above, I considered leaving the band of sky above the building in the image. Not only would this give a sense of scale, but it better defines the angled perspective (i.e., why the lines aren't parallel to the framing of the image).

Cheers

Sep 25, 2006 at 01:18 PM
suse
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #222: Alarming

Cool shot Rob. Nice geometry.

To be honest, I've been looking at a lot of this week's entries, and I really struggle to see what they have to do with minimalism. No trouble with yours. Bravo!

Sep 27, 2006 at 04:29 PM
gvarma
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #222: Alarming

Very clean elegant shot. Likt the diagonal placement and the vertical and horizontal lines. I think you are right the wall has a lot of possibilities for this week and maybe in the fututre too.

Sep 27, 2006 at 05:31 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.