Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2006 · #221 Power in 2's

MichaelKirk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #221 Power in 2's

Many of us (young and old) still find these machines facinating.
C&C and suggestions for improvement always welcome

Michael

Edited by MichaelKirk on Sep 18, 2006 at 09:54 PM GMT

Sep 17, 2006 at 09:11 PM
Dannett
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #221 Power in 2's

Very Nice Michael and yes I find them facinating. I remeber as a kid when we travelled I always stopped and studied the old machines that were on our journey. Unfortunatley there were not so many of these.

Is that the original sky? If not good selection and excellent work blending it in.

Daniel.

Sep 18, 2006 at 02:37 AM
MichaelKirk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #221 Power in 2's

Thanks for the nice comments - My 2 1/2 year old boy just loves trains - we are always borrowing his great grandfathers old train movies to watch - I took quite a few nice shots that are getting enlarged for his wall.

Unfortunately it was a grey overcast day and the sky was prett bland - just nothing there. The following day had some great clouds so I took a seperate shot of the clouds and did have to replace the sky. This was my 1st attempt at doing that (Paint Shop Pro X) so it took me longer than I wanted, but my next attempt should not be nearly as long. - Still learning. I was lucky - on my way home I also grabbed my shot for the monthly assignment that I am hoping to post later this week.

Michael

Sep 18, 2006 at 01:36 PM
Dannett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #221 Power in 2's

Yeah I have only tried replacing the sky once or twice and it is not easy, so you have done well. But I think the 460 has a few tell tales around it's Bell. Just do a bit more burning in around it. Similarly it's smoke stack has a bit of lighter cloud around it that looks like a halo (but isn't really). Just do a little burning in there as well and it will look tops.

Daniel.

Sep 18, 2006 at 05:50 PM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #221 Power in 2's

Great shot! The use of b/w adds to the power you can feel in this photo, from both the engines and the dramatic clouds. A very nice WA entry.
-Nick

Sep 18, 2006 at 06:33 PM
MichaelKirk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #221 Power in 2's

Thanks for the insight - I made a few minor changes per suggested, hope its an improvement

Michael

Sep 18, 2006 at 09:52 PM
Dannett
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #221 Power in 2's

MichaelKirk wrote:
Thanks for the insight - I made a few minor changes per suggested, hope its an improvement

Michael

Looks Better. Did you edit the original or the small version? Looks like there are a few artifacts there now.

Daniel

Sep 18, 2006 at 10:19 PM
MichaelKirk
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #221 Power in 2's

I edited the original and noticed some minor artifacts - I am pretty maxed out on time right now so will have to look at this one down the road. I am still learning a lot so I am not efficient with my time (a lot of experimenting), but hopefully down the road I will be able to take less time with my whole process. Right now I am just trying to focus on a picture themes and layout and some minor touchs up if needed. My main reason for submitting in the WA and MA is as a teaching tool for me - to force me to think about different subject matters and try taking photos of subject I would never take in the 1st place. See what others are doing, reading about their C&C and getting C&C on my photos.

I appreciate you feedback
Thanks,
Michael

Sep 19, 2006 at 08:03 AM
rcarboni
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #221 Power in 2's

Very nice image that gives a strong, powerful feeling in B&W with that angle. Did you take this at the train museum in Strasburg, PA?

Sep 19, 2006 at 09:59 AM
MichaelKirk
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #221 Power in 2's

Yes, that the place - I live about 30 minutes away. I really wanted to try and get a train moving on the tracks - with steam, etc., but just my luck Thomas the Train was there that day so it was pretty crowded. I did get some nice shots of Thomas for my son though

Thanks for your comments,
Michael

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:28 AM
canandaigua ph
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #221 Power in 2's

michael........because of your composition and perspective, and interesting use of B&W and the sky background, you have given life to the train engines!
Nice job
Peter

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:48 AM
Dannett
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #221 Power in 2's

MichaelKirk wrote:
I edited the original and noticed some minor artifacts - I am pretty maxed out on time right now so will have to look at this one down the road. I am still learning a lot so I am not efficient with my time (a lot of experimenting), but hopefully down the road I will be able to take less time with my whole process. Right now I am just trying to focus on a picture themes and layout and some minor touchs up if needed. My main reason for submitting in the WA and MA is as a teaching
...Show more

Ditto, but I haven't been actively doing the WA's latley. I either can't come up with something or it's already entered with a better subject than I have access to. Having said that I need to pull my finger out and give it a shot if I am to evolve.

Daniel

Sep 19, 2006 at 05:43 PM
Dannett
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #221 Power in 2's

canandaigua ph wrote:
michael........because of your composition and perspective, and interesting use of B&W and the sky background, you have given life to the train engines!
Nice job
Peter

Very much agreed Peter, I am a big fan of this image.

Daniel.

Sep 19, 2006 at 05:51 PM
44lefty
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #221 Power in 2's

Nice work.

Love trains, esp. steam locomotives.Are these cold iron or running?

Larry

Sep 21, 2006 at 04:58 PM
MichaelKirk
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #221 Power in 2's

These two particular trails are sitting on "dead tracks", but I am pretty sure they are (could be) operational. The museum does have a lot of working steam engines.

Thanks for you comments, appreciated.
Michael

Sep 21, 2006 at 05:50 PM
jdrenda
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #221 Power in 2's

very nice thanks for sharing.
jd

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.