FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2006 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

All flowers have Latin names...

Edited by Strad on Aug 14, 2006 at 01:37 AM GMT (Reason: Minor Tweak )

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:25 PM
ironabike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Strad, you need to clean your brush Seriously--great photo!! What lens did you use? Perfect lighting and so sharp. Certainly an interesting perspective.
Jane
PS Soak it in bleach every so often.

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:28 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Endre,

Your garden grows some strange looking flowers with even stranger sounding names. We don't have those here in Florida. About the closest thing that we have is something called wiregrass.

Very good shot, sharp, and perfect for the assignment.

Robert

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:41 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

ironabike wrote:
Strad, you need to clean your brush Seriously--great photo!! What lens did you use? Perfect lighting and so sharp. Certainly an interesting perspective.
Jane
PS Soak it in bleach every so often.

Thanks so much, Jane! I'm so glad you like it. You can't get a more ordinary object than a bottle brush (except. perhaps, road concrete ). I noticed that if I bring the brush up to my eye it goes al blurry so the only way one could ever really see this perspective is via a photo.
I shot it outside on a piece of black velvet. Late afternoon with the sunlight filtering through the trees so the sunlight was constantly shifting as I shot. I used my 70-200 L f 2.8 IS lens with the extender ring on it to do macros with.
Thanks, again.

Endre

Aug 13, 2006 at 01:06 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

relms wrote:
Endre,

Your garden grows some strange looking flowers with even stranger sounding names. We don't have those here in Florida. About the closest thing that we have is something called wiregrass.

Very good shot, sharp, and perfect for the assignment.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. It took me awhile to figure out the Latin name for this rare genus. I think it's too humid in Florida for these to grow well. Glad you like it.

All the best,

Endre

Aug 13, 2006 at 01:09 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Fantastic image Endre. Both of my kids were peeking over my shoulder as I pulled this one up, and said, "That's a cool shot!" and, "Wow, I like that one!".

I agree on both counts!

Ed

Aug 13, 2006 at 01:29 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

ESC in KC wrote:
Fantastic image Endre. Both of my kids were peeking over my shoulder as I pulled this one up, and said, "That's a cool shot!" and, "Wow, I like that one!".

I agree on both counts!

Ed

Thanks to you and your kids, Ed! I really appreciate hearing from all three of you. My four kids check out all the entries every week and decide on their favorites.
All the best,
Endre

Aug 13, 2006 at 01:54 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Now that's an excellent subject, and a fine photo!

Paul

Aug 13, 2006 at 02:05 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Melor wrote:
Now that's an excellent subject, and a fine photo!

Paul

Thanks so much, Paul. I'm so glad you like it and took the time to comment. I must say, this is the kind of WA I like - the challenge being to take something mundane and made it beautiful.

All the best,

Endre

Aug 13, 2006 at 02:47 PM
Flibble
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Another stupendous shot Endre, lovely.

I was trying to work out if it was a toilet brush, but then figured that it would be rather an extravagant one with all that funky blue, but then I thought, well, Endre is a pretty refined kind of guy so he probably would have an extravagant toilet brush...

It went on like this in my head for several hours, but then I decided to read down the rest of your post and realised, somewhat disappointedly that it was a bottle brush.

Still... a damn fine shot of a brush.

Aug 13, 2006 at 03:09 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Flibble wrote:
Another stupendous shot Endre, lovely.

I was trying to work out if it was a toilet brush, but then figured that it would be rather an extravagant one with all that funky blue, but then I thought, well, Endre is a pretty refined kind of guy so he probably would have an extravagant toilet brush...

It went on like this in my head for several hours, but then I decided to read down the rest of your post and realised, somewhat disappointedly that it was a bottle brush.

Still... a damn fine shot of a brush.

Thanks so much, Mr. Fibbbs. i always appreciate your fascinating comments. I'm sorry there was any confusion regarding the toilet vs the bottle but I thought that the Latin genus name would be self-explanatory for one such as yourself. By the way, those rubbish pills seem not to be having the desired effect since you still seem to think my shots are stupendous. I do notice one effect, though - we posted comments on each other's photos at exactly the same moment. Perhaps those pills are resulting in some sort of mind-meld. :worried: :worried: :worried: Please get back to me on that. Perhaps the dosage needs to be adjusted.

All the best,

Endre

Aug 13, 2006 at 03:35 PM
Flibble
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

No no Endre... keep taking the pills. Glad to see stage one seems to have kicked in... it's all good from this point forward - let me know when you start barking like a llama, for then you'll surely be nearing stage two...

Aug 13, 2006 at 04:48 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Flibble wrote:
No no Endre... keep taking the pills. Glad to see stage one seems to have kicked in... it's all good from this point forward - let me know when you start barking like a llama, for then you'll surely be nearing stage two...

Good heavens! I wasn't aware that llamas bark! What will the neighbors think? i guess one learns something new every day! OK - I'll keep up the regimen as prescribed. So long as I don't pass out, that is. Thanks for the update.

All the best,

Endre

Aug 13, 2006 at 05:42 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

At one point I was thinking of shooting a toothbrush, so I'm glad that you chose to go this route. The symmetry is what really makes it work, I think. By the way, I think Rotiform Rooter uses something similar when the Ophioidus metallicus is unsuitable.

Aug 13, 2006 at 07:07 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Photon wrote:
At one point I was thinking of shooting a toothbrush, so I'm glad that you chose to go this route. The symmetry is what really makes it work, I think. By the way, I think Rotiform Rooter uses something similar when the Ophioidus metallicus is unsuitable.

Thanks, Jess! You're right. I kept looking for something that was very ordinary but interesting in and of itself. I'm glad you like it.

All the best,

Endre

Aug 13, 2006 at 08:28 PM
Flibble
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Strad wrote:
Good heavens! I wasn't aware that llamas bark! What will the neighbors think? i guess one learns something new every day! OK - I'll keep up the regimen as prescribed. So long as I don't pass out, that is. Thanks for the update.

All the best,

Endre

True, typically llamas don't bark - it's only highly trained stealth attack llamas that bark. Of course, being stealth llamas, barking isn't something they do that often come to think of it. So maybe just await some kind of stifled bark noise that sends fear into the very heart of all who can hear it. That'll be the sign you're looking for.

Keep taking the pills. Maybe up the dosage a little.

Aug 14, 2006 at 07:04 AM
Parrot Head
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Great entry Endre.

I had thought of a toothbrush, but this is much better than what I would have shot.

Aug 14, 2006 at 11:04 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Parrot Head wrote:
Great entry Endre.

I had thought of a toothbrush, but this is much better than what I would have shot.

Thanks so much, Jane. I'm sure you would have made a toothbrush look like a work of art.
Glad you like it.

All the best,

Endre

Aug 14, 2006 at 12:28 PM
Parrot Head
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Strad wrote:
Thanks so much, Jane. I'm sure you would have made a toothbrush look like a work of art.
Glad you like it.

All the best,

Endre

Actually I was afraid what I might find, on my toothbrush in macro, and would never want to stick one in my mouth again. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Aug 14, 2006 at 12:34 PM
gvarma
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #216 Centaurea Cyanalbus Peniculus

Beautiful shot, beautiful lighting. A finalist too.
A well chosen name, a blue and white brush of the genus of thistle like flowers. Playing games again eh..

Aug 14, 2006 at 02:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.