cinemantics

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #214: Steel Dawn

As always, any criticism appreciated.

Aug 01, 2006 at 12:48 AM
aseptic

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #214: Steel Dawn

this is great , i like the light in this picture.

Aug 01, 2006 at 03:56 AM
canandaigua ph
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #214: Steel Dawn

Very nice composition.....and i love the glow!
Greast job
Peter

Aug 01, 2006 at 08:16 AM
teglis
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #214: Steel Dawn

I like this image a lot. The implied diagonal created by the increasing tower heights really makes it work.

Aug 01, 2006 at 09:22 AM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #214: Steel Dawn

Very good composition and B&W conversion with just the right amount of sepia toning to give it that industrial look. Great work, as usual.

Aug 01, 2006 at 09:51 AM
Flibble
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #214: Steel Dawn

Oooh, great composition and light. Any one of those towers looks like it could launch a rocket or shuttle, or maybe some futuristic amalgamation of the two - a "Rottle". Maybe they already do. Maybe you've inadvertently stumbled on something you shouldn't have.

They'll be after you. Hide the evidence. Eat your camera. Best to be safe.

Run!

Aug 01, 2006 at 02:08 PM
suse
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #214: Steel Dawn

Flibs is right (for once). This looks like a secret launch pad! Great capture and lovely tones.

Aug 01, 2006 at 07:19 PM
ironabike
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #214: Steel Dawn

Up to your usual work I see! This is an ugly subject made beautiful by your talent. A great B&W conversion. Would you let us know your technique? Your eye for the capture, and then, obviously, your eye for the pping is truly unique and exceptional.
Jane

Aug 01, 2006 at 08:42 PM
cinemantics

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #214: Steel Dawn

Thanks to everyone for your kind words!

Aug 01, 2006 at 11:27 PM
cinemantics

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #214: Steel Dawn

ironabike wrote:
Up to your usual work I see! This is an ugly subject made beautiful by your talent. A great B&W conversion. Would you let us know your technique? Your eye for the capture, and then, obviously, your eye for the pping is truly unique and exceptional.
Jane

Thanks, Jane.

As for technique: I started with an almost-neutral sepia tone conversion. I then ran a Find Edges. Then I simply faded the Find Edges about 70% with a Saturation blend. That keeps all my lines sharp yet renders the midtones warmer and the shadows much cooler to force more depth and separation between the various pipes and stacks.

Aug 01, 2006 at 11:35 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #214: Steel Dawn

Lovely, sharp shot. I thought of doing a shot of a refinery but didn't have time to drive down to one. you did it better than I would have anyhow. Fibble might be right - is the the Area 51 refinery
All the best,

Endre

Aug 02, 2006 at 03:20 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #214: Steel Dawn

Lovely shot, I was down in New Orleans last weekend for a wedding and passed through the NORCO refinery area. I stopped on a back road to get a shot of the smoke stacks for a long exposure with my 10 stop filter. in about 5 min security and police came out and said it was illegal for anyone to take images of the of their refinery due to terrorism.

I told them there are no posted signs so how am I supposed to know its illegal and I was on public street property. They video taped me and told me I had to delete the images. Since I was a hired wedding photographer for a wedding that weekend I wasn't taking any chances to stir up troubles so I complied.

really awesome you were able to get a shot with out troubles.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.