p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · # 202 The Griffith Observatory

Great shot! I love the sky.

May 02, 2006 at 04:35 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · # 202 The Griffith Observatory

gnuhaus wrote:
I'd love to see this one at a larger size - the clouds are amazing.

As to the serendipity, one of Ansel Adams' favorite quotes was from Louis Pasteur - "chance favors a prepared mind." This photo certainly demonstrates the validity of that statement.

Well seen and well captured!

Thanks, Mark. Everyone on this forum certainly has a well prepared photographic mind so in that sense chance favors us all. Glad you like it.
All the best,
Endre

May 02, 2006 at 07:21 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · # 202 The Griffith Observatory

hopes2 wrote:
You have too much talent.
Jealous....Dan.

Thanks so much, Dan, but I've seen your photos. You have nothing to be jealous of.

All the best,
Endre

May 02, 2006 at 07:29 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · # 202 The Griffith Observatory

kkertz wrote:
Nice image Endre. I like the composition and repitition of shape... looks like little brother and big brother. I have to ask if the sky was composited in? The reason I ask is because of the soft shadows on the observatory would lead me to believe that it was very cloudy (more than in the image)... diffusing the light. Also the left side of the building is highlighted telling me that the sun is coming from the left side but the clouds are being lit from the right side. I think this is what is adding to it's surrealness. Either
...Show more

Thank you, Kevin. I'm glad you like it. I did blend together a couple of photos taken at the same time without moving my tripod. The clouds moved around in between causing the light to change. (I was chatting with the owners of house for quite awhile while I tripped the shutter every now and then.) The cloud cover was generally very diffuse so the light was quite soft. What I also did, was use a plugin program I have which is called "Mystical Lighting" to deepen the shadows on the right of the domes and then I added a highlight on the other side. That's the highlight you're seeing. The original looked a little flat to me so I wanted the curved nature of the building to show up more. By doing that it looked to me like I have often seen it, with light breaking through a cloud cover and shining on just a part of the building - although perhaps I may have overdone it a bit. Anyway, that's the story of that. I'm so glad you like it.
All the best,
Endre

May 02, 2006 at 07:49 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · # 202 The Griffith Observatory

JHut wrote:
Great shot! I love the sky.

Thanks a lot, John. Your comment is much appreciated.
All the best,
Endre

May 02, 2006 at 07:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Big Hands
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · # 202 The Griffith Observatory

I feel like I am wearing 3D glasses when I view this photo.

luck = preparation + opportunity

You were obviously prepared for your opportunity.

Regards,
Jeff

May 02, 2006 at 08:58 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · # 202 The Griffith Observatory

Big Hands wrote:
I feel like I am wearing 3D glasses when I view this photo.

luck = preparation + opportunity

You were obviously prepared for your opportunity.

Regards,
Jeff

That's such a nice comment, Jeff. Much appreciated! Thank you!
All the best,
Endre

May 02, 2006 at 11:11 PM
TimothyStevens

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · # 202 The Griffith Observatory

Beautiful sky and a wonderful image! Wow!

May 03, 2006 at 08:00 PM
vaaccess
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · # 202 The Griffith Observatory

Strad wrote:
Thank you, Kevin. I'm glad you like it. I did blend together a couple of photos taken at the same time without moving my tripod. The clouds moved around in between causing the light to change. (I was chatting with the owners of house for quite awhile while I tripped the shutter every now and then.) The cloud cover was generally very diffuse so the light was quite soft. What I also did, was use a plugin program I have which is called "Mystical Lighting" to deepen the shadows on the right of the domes and then I added a
...Show more

Ok...I'm glad someone else asked the question...I almost did without reading through all the posts.

It's a great shot and I think you did a good job putting it all together, but in my mind you can tell it was pieced together and/or a heavily processed single shot...I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but overall I do like the end result.

I just find it frustrating to see a shot like this and see people get discouraged or have them feel inferior because they can't take a shot like this when they didn't know it wasn't a single shot that wasn't heavily post-processed.

May 03, 2006 at 09:12 PM
howardF
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · # 202 The Griffith Observatory

Great looking photo.

Mar 05, 2017 at 02:26 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end