Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA RulesCurrent entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2006 · #197: Insiderís View

jban99
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #197: Insiderís View

Ok, I give upÖ
Iím not going to be able to get any musical instruments this weekend, so I created an Imaginary Guitar and went inside to be able to look out at the playing fingers and get the real feel of the musicÖ
Can you hear it?

Edited by jban99 on Mar 20, 2006 at 06:38 AM GMT

Mar 19, 2006 at 07:06 PM
Flibble
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #197: Insiderís View

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Cool photo.

I also tried this technique - I climbed inside one side of a set of maracas and then realised it was pitch black. I didn't bother posting the photos.

Mar 19, 2006 at 07:42 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #197: Insiderís View

Flibble wrote:
Necessity is the mother of invention.

Cool photo.

I also tried this technique - I climbed inside one side of a set of maracas and then realised it was pitch black. I didn't bother posting the photos.

Very funny Flibble, thanks for the comments. The maracas lighting wouldíve been easier to setupÖ

Mar 19, 2006 at 07:53 PM
ironabike
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #197: Insiderís View

jban99 wrote:
Very funny Flibble, thanks for the comments. The maracas lighting wouldíve been easier to setupÖ

Flibble, you are hysterical! You have to promise to stick around the FM site for a very very long time.

Ok John, you did it!! Good job. I am impressed with your creativity once again.
Jane

Mar 19, 2006 at 09:12 PM
Strad
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #197: Insiderís View

Excellent photo, John! Really creative, However to my eye it looks backward. If i were inside of a classical guitar looking out, the fingers would be on the other side. One plays the fingerboard with the left hand while using the right to pluck the strings. This shot is looking at it as one might from the audience side. (I know there are a tiny handful of guitarists who for whatever bizarre personal reasons play backwards, but they don't count.) Also, one tiny thing that only I might notice: the strings on a real guitar get thicker as they get lower pitched. All your strings seem to be the same size. But I nitpick... Turn it around and you've got a really great shot!
All the best,
Endre

Mar 19, 2006 at 09:30 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #197: Insiderís View

Cool shot John - must be Jimi Hendrix playing it backwards!

Ed

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:04 PM
suse
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #197: Insiderís View

Hey Strad...Paul McCartney plays left-handed guitars. It must be him....

Is he playing 'Moon River'.. it looks like a moonlight night to me. Fabulous image, John. Great use of neg space.

PS Can someone wrestle that bottle of Tequila from Flibbles??

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:10 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #197: Insiderís View

Very creative shot, John! You get the prize for improvisation. Musicians often do it, and obviously, so do some photographers.

Robert

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:01 AM
hjones
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #197: Insiderís View

I hear this one - the music from within! Very nice; very original!

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:23 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #197: Insiderís View

ironabike wrote:
Flibble, you are hysterical! You have to promise to stick around the FM site for a very very long time.

Ok John, you did it!! Good job. I am impressed with your creativity once again.
Jane

Thank you Jane, I promise to try harder next timeÖ

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jban99
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #197: Insiderís View

Strad wrote:
Excellent photo, John! Really creative, However to my eye it looks backward. If i were inside of a classical guitar looking out, the fingers would be on the other side. One plays the fingerboard with the left hand while using the right to pluck the strings. This shot is looking at it as one might from the audience side. (I know there are a tiny handful of guitarists who for whatever bizarre personal reasons play backwards, but they don't count.) Also, one tiny thing that only I might notice: the strings on a real guitar get thicker as they get
...Show more
Endre thanks again for the very detailed comments!
Let me clarify that Iím lefty and I made sure the hand was in the right position when doing the simulation (maybe thatís why I donít play guitar).
You are absolutely correct about the strings; I realized that I had only one size wire but didnít have the motivation to go shopping for a heavier gauge on a Sunday afternoon, so I shot it anyway.
This was just a piece of black cardboard with a hole mounted on a wooden frame, twelve screws and a roll of wire, not quite a classical guitar but it played my music todayÖ

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:39 AM
canandaigua ph
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #197: Insiderís View

John....great idea.......for awhile I tried to figure out how you got into the guitar!

it works very well, good WA entry
Peter

Mar 20, 2006 at 03:45 AM
tynorth
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #197: Insiderís View

Great idea. It definitely cathces the eye and starts the brain working. My first glance of the photo stopped me and my brain was saying, " how did he his camera inside". A+ for originallity. Great shot.

Tynorth

Mar 20, 2006 at 04:22 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #197: Insiderís View

jban99 wrote:
Endre thanks again for the very detailed comments!
Let me clarify that Iím lefty and I made sure the hand was in the right position when doing the simulation (maybe thatís why I donít play guitar).
You are absolutely correct about the strings; I realized that I had only one size wire but didnít have the motivation to go shopping for a heavier gauge on a Sunday afternoon, so I shot it anyway.
This was just a piece of black cardboard with a hole mounted on a wooden frame, twelve screws and a roll of wire, not quite a classical
...Show more

My dear friend, John,
Your hand position is beautiful but being a "lefty has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I know several "lefty" classical guitarists and they all play with the guitar in the right position. Rock guitarists are another matter. They are often self-taught so they pick up all sorts of bad habits out of ignorance. (Having met Paul McCartney on one occasion, I would say that ignorance and arrogance are both operant. But I digress...) Only Django Reinhardt who nearly burned his hand off really needed to play the other way. If you think about it, "lefty" or "righty" should make no difference. One still needs to develop the proper skills with each hand to accomplish whatever is needed to make the instrument sing. There are certainly as many "lefty" violinists in the world as in the general population but I'll bet you've never seen one playing the instrument backwards. I've never seen one. I don't want to seem like I'm harping on a small matter but I see lots of silly-looking advertisement photos of violinists and guitarists that are obviously flipped backwards because the ad agency people don't know any better. To my eyes, it's really quite jarring to look at your otherwise lovely photo and have it scream at me that it's backward and therefore makes no sense. All that it needs is to be flipped in PS. Maybe I'm just nuts! :worried:
Thanks for letting me get my two cents in.
Best,
Endre

Mar 20, 2006 at 08:38 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #197: Insiderís View

ESC in KC wrote:
Cool shot John - must be Jimi Hendrix playing it backwards!

Ed

Thaks Ed, lets find another player, itís not longer backwardsÖ

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:42 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #197: Insiderís View

suse wrote:

Hey Strad...Paul McCartney plays left-handed guitars. It must be him....

Is he playing 'Moon River'.. it looks like a moonlight night to me. Fabulous image, John. Great use of neg space.

PS Can someone wrestle that bottle of Tequila from Flibbles??

Hello Suse, negative space was in my mind during the composition, thank you.
Now I know why Flibbles is so funnyÖ

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:46 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #197: Insiderís View

relms wrote:
Very creative shot, John! You get the prize for improvisation. Musicians often do it, and obviously, so do some photographers.

Robert

Thanks Robert, my neighbor has all kind of instruments but she was away all weekend and that created this photographerís emergencyÖ

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:52 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #197: Insiderís View

hjones wrote:
I hear this one - the music from within! Very nice; very original!

Hi Hugh, Iím glad to know that Iím not the only one hearing itÖ

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:55 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #197: Insiderís View

canandaigua ph wrote:
John....great idea.......for awhile I tried to figure out how you got into the guitar!

it works very well, good WA entry
Peter

Thanks Peter, it wouldíve been a lot easier to get a camera inside a real guitarÖ

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:57 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #197: Insiderís View

tynorth wrote:
Great idea. It definitely cathces the eye and starts the brain working. My first glance of the photo stopped me and my brain was saying, " how did he his camera inside". A+ for originallity. Great shot.

Tynorth

Thanks for the comment Tynorth, Iím getting one of those tiny little cameras to be ready for future assignmentsÖ

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password