New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2003 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

bluebomberx
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

According to Chuck Westfall, Canon will announce a firmware update for the Canon 10D, June 26. No further details will be available until the release date.

Edited by bluebomberx on Jun 19, 2003 at 02:42 PM GMT

Jun 19, 2003 at 11:59 AM
stevenD
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

thanks, hope I have mine by then, I ordered it two weeks ago...

Jun 19, 2003 at 12:08 PM
christo™
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

Cool, thanks for the update, Richie...

Jun 19, 2003 at 12:48 PM
T Hellsten
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

Yes thanks Will be looking for that

Wonder what it will fix?

Jun 19, 2003 at 01:20 PM
stevenD
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

oh, supposedly the new firmware fix does the following:
1. Quadruples the effeciency of the autofocus
2. Doubles CF processing (write) speeds
3. Which allows a doubling of consecutive pic's taken to 6 FPS
4. Adds a new Infra-Red option
(Allowing Photos to be taken in pitch-black w/o a flash)
5. Adds a internal "IS" funtion, effectively making every lens an "IS" lens.
6. Adds a (thumbwheel) Selectable Conversion Factor of 1.1 to 1.6

(ok, OK, I am just joking, but it sounded good right?)

Edited by unleashell on Jun 20, 2003 at 12:40 AM GMT

Jun 19, 2003 at 03:06 PM
rebel300
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

Ahhhh...they finally figured out a fix...nice going Canon.
LM

Jun 19, 2003 at 03:08 PM
Phil Bonner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

Wishfull thinking but maybe they will enable write acceleration (WA) for Lexar WA CF users.

Jun 19, 2003 at 03:58 PM
detailer
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

Hi Phil

Re WA on Lexar CF. This is alarming.....could you fill me in on your experience in this area, as I am about to invest large do-re-mi on some Lexar WA CF cards.

Good news re 10D firmware. I always keep a close eye on firmware. I have a Nikon 5000 which can now shoot RAW after its firmware update. I know its a Canon forum, but the principle holds.

Jun 19, 2003 at 04:08 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

It would be about the only thing that will save me from selling my damn 10D !

Jun 20, 2003 at 01:14 AM
rudiphoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

dhphoto wrote:
It would be about the only thing that will save me from selling my damn 10D !

Funny, ain't it? *My* 10D was the reason I sold my D30 so fast - I love it!

I hope you get yours sorted out, they are a great camera when they work properly (as mine always did)...

Good news about the new firmware BTW. I always update to the latest, it keeps the cameras in the best possible shape.

Jun 20, 2003 at 01:34 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

In principle I love it too, I 've just had too many unsharp pictures to really start to trust it. Its been to Canon and been'calibrated' but it is hopeless any wider than 2 stops down. Hope the firmware is the answer

Jun 20, 2003 at 01:38 AM
Phil Bonner
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

Izobu,

According to the Rob Galbraith test, the !0D wrote to the Lexar 1GB 32X the fastest of any card, even w/o WA enabled. So I got one and it has recorded my images just fine - over 1,000 shots with the 10D so far. I wonder how much more quick it would be with the WA enabled inthe 10D.

Jun 20, 2003 at 10:58 AM
whitejon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

dhphoto, you shouldn't expect a firmware upgrade to help your problem.
It sounds like a problem with YOUR system, like the one mine had before they took it back.

As far as write speeds are concerned, have many of you actually checked the differences between cards? It's not that much, and amounts to milliseconds per shot, which I'm sure none of us can even really count, unless we have a buffer full.

We have to stay realistic about this stuff, and just go shoot, once our camera is working properly, which MANY of the 10Ds have not been doing out of the box.

Edited by whitejon on Jun 20, 2003 at 09:29 PM GMT

Jun 20, 2003 at 11:27 AM
BigJoe
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

I just got a brand spanking new 10D from Canoga Cameras, oh about 40 minutes ago.

It is SN in the 052 series and it has firmware 1.01 (really!). What's new? You got me. Other than the fact that this one actually seems to focus like it should (with any remaining softness to be attributed to the lens being wide open at f/1.4), I can't tell the difference. Of course, I haven't used every function.

My bet is that Canon loosened up the restrictions on the lens so that people even using Canon's own lenses stop getting Err 99's and maybe they addressed the lockup issues some were having (though I never had that to begin with).

Hope the fixes are good ones

Joe

Jun 20, 2003 at 11:29 AM
JPrimgaard
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

As mentioned, the write speeds are really only milliseconds apart (as it stands now). So a fast card vs. a moderately fast card is transparent, unless you're shooting continuous mode and filling the buffer. That's when the milliseconds add up. If I remember correctly, the diference between the fastest card in Rob's test and my microdrive was insignificant when writing one or two frames, but fill the buffer and the difference was something like waiting 38 seconds or waiting 49 seconds (that's shooting RAW by the way). Again, those numbers are just off the top of my head (no flames), but that difference can become huge if your watching the action unfold while your waiting for the buffer to clear so you can shoot a full sequence again.

But then, if that's the type of shooting your doing, the 1D is your ticket, not the 10D

Jake

Jun 20, 2003 at 11:57 AM
rudiphoto
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

BigJoe wrote:
I just got a brand spanking new 10D from Canoga Cameras, oh about 40 minutes ago.

Joe

Joe,

Did you give up on your old one, or is this one a second body?

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:01 PM
detailer
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

Hi Phil,

........ that's very reassuring. Maybe you should write to Canon and ask them to include provision for WA in a future firmware update.

After your comments re the speed even without WA, I will go ahead and buy. I must say I have always found Lexar cards to be very reliable. My older and smaller cards, i.e. 32mb, which are not much use out shooting RAW for the day, are doing sterling service ferrying data files between home, work and laptop via trusty Jump Shots on all three. Funny how 256mb once seemed positively Leviathan, now it's just not adequate. The 1GB 32x seems the way to go.

Do any of you good people on the forum use Firewire? Any big difference between that and USB2 ? I use USB2 and wonder if the upgrade to Firewire is worth the investment.

Thanks
David in London

Jun 20, 2003 at 01:46 PM
rebel300
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

BigJoe wrote:

It is SN in the 052 series and it has firmware 1.01 (really!). What's new? You got me. Other than the fact that this one actually seems to focus like it should (with any remaining softness to be attributed to the lens being wide open at f/1.4), I can't tell the difference. Of course, I haven't used every function.

My bet is that Canon loosened up the restrictions on the lens so that people even using Canon's own lenses stop getting Err 99's and maybe they
...Show more

Congrats Joe...you lucky dog you...
I don't have any idea what the firmware changes myself but I'm thrilled for you and the new cam...
Lm

Jun 20, 2003 at 02:47 PM
BigJoe
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

Joe,

Did you give up on your old one, or is this one a second body?

I gave up the old one. Canon says it's 100% just fine. I don't think it was, but that's my perception. To my eye, the new one makes pictures looking more like what I expected. I took my first ever "Bee in the Flower" picture today with it first thing and the pollen grains on the bee's legs and back are really sharp as is the inner part of the flower and the bee's body (used shallow DOF for that). Who knows? Maybe just because I have a 'new' one my mind tells me it's okay and the pictures look better.

Joe

Jun 20, 2003 at 07:45 PM
BigJoe
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 10D Firmware update - June 26

Larry Mowry wrote:
Congrats Joe...you lucky dog you...
I don't have any idea what the firmware changes myself but I'm thrilled for you and the new cam...
Lm

Thanks Larry, I appreciate it.

I remember when you had a lot of trouble with your initial 10D then got your new one and there was just something there that wasn't in the old photos. They were sharp, not lacking in contrast (even in RAW mode), etc. That's about the way it is with my new one. In the little bit of time I've had to play with it, it's been everything the old one wasn't. I suppose that's what I get for living on the cutting edge of technology (I'm being treated for lacerations ).

Going to test this thing to death until the two week return period is up. I got burned a bit with this exchange because I was past that period on the old one. Live and learn I suppose .

Joe

Jun 20, 2003 at 07:50 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.