FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2006 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

captainatomic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Hi All,

I recently purchased the 12mm Canon Extension tube for an experiment.

I love my EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro lens, its a really stunner. Of course when the need to shoot film for this year came up I was annoyed I couldnt use this gem of a lens on my film body's.

After some research I though why not simply use an extension tube? The Canon version states you can mount an EF-S lens on it, so why not use that on a film body....

It works VERY well. I have lost infinity focus, but its not for that purpose. A macro lens is for macro work.

There is NO dark corners, as the Macro is bright enough, and the 'image circle' nicely covers the 35mm frame.

Auto focus is spot on and with good speed. I have tested the EF-S Macro and tube combo on an EOS 10s FILM body and a EOS 1N Pro film body. Both work like a dream

NONE of this crazy EF-S lens hacking, simply use the tube!

Its given a new lease of live on my Film shots, as I can now use this lens perfectly for the macro work.

I can post pictures when the film is developed.

Just thought I would share this for others wanting to use this on a full frame.

Jeremy

Feb 27, 2006 at 09:27 PM
pixelman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Have fun but don't expect the edges too rock your socks off. The thing is designed to cover a smaller area than the full 35 size. It's like using a 4x5 lens on an 8x10. I'm curious how it will look though. Scan or tell.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:24 PM
loudtiger
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

stopping it down (as necessary for most macro to gain the required DOF) should eliminate some of the vignetting.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:32 PM
shootr
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

I don't think you understood his post.
He is not suffering from Vignetting and with the extension tube the image circle on the sensor/film frame should be from the lens' *sweet spot*.
So the edges should not be overly soft or have CA

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:41 PM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

shootr wrote:
I don't think you understood his post.
He is not suffering from Vignetting and with the extension tube the image circle on the sensor/film frame should be from the lens' *sweet spot*.
So the edges should not be overly soft or have CA

Exactly. The tube gives more space for the image circle to widen before it hits the sensor.

Brilliant, forehead-slapping, "why didn't I think of that" idea.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:53 PM
pixelman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

I don't believe it till I see results.

Feb 28, 2006 at 04:38 PM
jeffH70
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

pixelman wrote:

It is simple physics. By adding the extension tube, you effectively move the sensor plane away from the lens and the inverse projected image circle is enlarged on the sensor as a result. This is the same reason to get larger life size via extension tube.

Jeff

Edited by jeffH70 on Mar 01, 2006 at 04:07 AM GMT

Feb 28, 2006 at 05:04 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

pixelman wrote:

Dude, it isn't about belief. It is about physics.

The image circle gets bigger as the rear element moves away from the film (or sensor). Hence, the sweet spot is now bigger and easily covers the full frame, at full quality.

The same thing aught to be attempted with all kinds of EF-S lenses on a 5D just for shits and giggles. Anyone got the stuff to try it?

OOOPS a bit too late with my post....

Feb 28, 2006 at 05:05 PM
pixelman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

I'm not really interested in the process, I'm kinda into that weird thing called photos. It sounds interesting, lets see some. For the record I failed some high school physics but I have made my living in photography for ummm 21 years. So I must be onto something. Maybe that's what makes me sceptical but open minded. I've done the lens on reversing ring thing, and various other stuff so lets see what CaptnAtomic has made of it.

Feb 28, 2006 at 07:03 PM
Vole
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Good one!

So I'm assuming that by using the extension tube, this is going to give you more than the 1:1 Macro the lens is capable of? Bonus!

I'd like to see this done on a 5D or 1Ds... Does anyone have all this stuff to try it? Someone around here must!

Again, good info...

Feb 28, 2006 at 07:22 PM
captainatomic
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Wow I am suprised I caused a bit of a stir!

Now please read and understand - the EF-S Macro, being a f2.8 lens and not a zoom does have a large 'image circle'. It FULLY covers the 35mm frame, not a HINT of dark edges. End of story.

The proof is in the pudding - and since my last post I have had my film developed and scanned.

These are some of the sharpest images I have ever created on film, mostly at f2.8-5.6.

All using a Canon extension tube and the EF-S Macro lens.
Kodak Professional 400ASA Ultra Colour. This film has grain but the 100 ASA is not availble in Australia.

I would shoot Velvia 50 for 'no grain' but I cant get it scanned so its useless.

I am THRILLED at the results, they speak for themselves.
PLEASE remember these have been resized to a much smaller version, and may look soft. If you like I can post some 100% crops, so bloody sharp!

All Handheld, natural light:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/1_web.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/2_web.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/6_web.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/8_web.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/10_web.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/14_web.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/16_web.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/18_web.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/30_web.jpg

Here is my setup:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/1Nmacro1.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/queen69/fm/1Nmacro2.jpg

Mar 01, 2006 at 07:19 AM
Tri Tran
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Awesome, the grains of the film gave the shots a very nice feel. Thanks for your experiment.

Mar 01, 2006 at 09:50 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Nice shots!

Great idea.

Mar 01, 2006 at 09:57 AM
GraphikEdition

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Excellent idea and photos. I wonder if this will work well with a 10-22 and the new 17-55. That would be great if it did. Losing infinity is no big thing (might be wrong ) if you are using hyperfocal distances for landscapes. Is that right?

Graphik

Mar 01, 2006 at 10:07 AM
pixelman
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Grain is back. It's the new retro. Personally after four months of winter the setting of the shots, sun and warmth have me daydreaming.

Mar 01, 2006 at 10:50 AM
captainatomic
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Woa this board moves fast!

Graphik - this is a Macro only solution. You CANT focus much more than 20cm away from the lens, of course this is great for Macro and even closeup but you cant focus to far away.

However let the record shot (lol) I NEVER found this a problem when I was taking photos.

As you can see the results are great, and plan to make enlargements for my 'photo wall'.

Your best option if you use the EF-S Macro, is to buy the EF12 II extension tube second hand.

You can use the EF-S Macro on a 5D. You cant use the EF-S 18-55, at 18mm you get photo a small cirlce, at 55mm you get dark corners.

You cant go wrong if you already own this lens, its a stunning lens.

Jeremy

Mar 01, 2006 at 05:57 PM
Trout Guy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Capn you made a believer out of me not that I doubted you at all. Stunning shots no matter how you took them. I don't have the EF-S macro, only the EF 100mm macro but if I did I'd try your setup.

I just might ad that you can buy a set of three Kenko tubes for less than the price of one Canon 12mm tube then you can have more fun and experiment much more. Kenkos are excellent tubes and I'm not about to pay Canon's price for air.

Cheers,

TG

Mar 01, 2006 at 09:51 PM
Canonfan
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

captainatomic wrote:
All using a Canon extension tube and the EF-S Macro lens.
Kodak Professional 400ASA Ultra Colour. This film has grain but the 100 ASA is not availble in Australia.

Can you get Agfa Ultra 100 in Australia? I think you'll find it's got just as much punch as Kodak UC with MUCH MUCH less grain.

Mar 01, 2006 at 10:03 PM
captainatomic
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Trout Guy - I think you will find the Kenko will not mount an EF-S Lens.

Hence the whole deal about using the Canon EFII tube.
Its the only one that works.

Canonfan - I have never seen it for sale, if I do I might purchase it. It will be some time, I had a great deal on a 5 Pack of 400UC. Its rare stuff so I snapped it up. Thankyou for the heads up!

With any luck a deal on a film scanner will come good, and I can use Velvia then scan it myself. Its a Nikon Coolscan LS-2000 at a good price.

That aside, I am glad people have found something usefull out of this thread.
I know it was a breakthrough for me when I had my dream lens on my dream film body - and it actually works with autofocus. The results are perfect and sharp.

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to contact me.

Jeremy

Mar 02, 2006 at 02:41 AM
PlaneGuy
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EF-S Macro on a EOS 1N! Works like a dream

Intersting. Thanks for the post.

The other interesting thing is that the image circle ofthe lenses has never been specified, and all the boards assume that EF-S is reduced image circle. The whitepaper that Canon recently put on mentions that the 17-55 covers the full 35mm image circle. Now that is an interesting development if it means that EF-S may not be just intended for the 1.6x cameras.

Imaging a FF with a pellicle mirror - hence no mirror box to interfere with the EF-S (is that how they work, I have never seen one or even a schematic). The mind boggles

Mar 02, 2006 at 03:01 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.