Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2006 · #192: Hot Chocolate

AndreasF

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #192: Hot Chocolate

After an idea popped up my mind last night, I used my Sunday afternoon (weather wasn't good anyway) to play around with this idea. So that's what it turned into...

For anybody who wonders, it's a German chocolate bar and "Erdbeer mit Pfeffer" translates into "strawberry with pepper". It was baught in a chocolate museum in Cologne, where they have all kinds of freaky chocolate varieties.

Any feedback and comments are very welcome...

Andreas

Feb 12, 2006 at 12:22 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #192: Hot Chocolate

Wow! Great shot, Andreas! That's a sure-fire finalist!
Best,
Endre

Feb 12, 2006 at 01:09 PM
relms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #192: Hot Chocolate

Andreas,

If Hachez hasn't contacted you already, they should do so as soon as they discover your entry. This would be an eye-catching product shot, and I agree with Endre; it is most definitely a contender in this week's assignment.

Robert

Feb 12, 2006 at 05:37 PM
bluebird
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #192: Hot Chocolate

A stunning shot and wonderfully lit

Feb 12, 2006 at 06:30 PM
tynorth
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #192: Hot Chocolate

A beautiful photo. I love the blue lit smoke for background. A winner of a shot.

Tynorth

Feb 12, 2006 at 08:06 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #192: Hot Chocolate

Great picture Andreas, really beautiful to look at with the sharp smoke against the black background and the excellent composition. Very nice…

Feb 13, 2006 at 03:30 PM
AndreasF

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #192: Hot Chocolate

Thank you very much Endre, Robert, Mike, Ty and John for your kind comments. I had much fun playing around with this setup and it makes me very happy, that you like the result!

@Robert: Hachez hasn't contacted me yet, but I wouldn't say no, if they would call...

Andreas

Feb 13, 2006 at 06:28 PM
Forrest Egan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #192: Hot Chocolate

Excellent lighting and composition!

Is this a single shot, or were the two elements combined in PhotoShop?

Feb 13, 2006 at 08:06 PM
AndreasF

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #192: Hot Chocolate

Forrest Egan wrote:
Is this a single shot, or were the two elements combined in PhotoShop?

Forrest, thank you for your kind comment.

Here's some background information regarding my picture. I taped the chocolate bar to a board of wood and angled it into the desired position. Behind the chocolate bar I placed a flash on the table facing upwards to light up the smoke (bundled light with tin foil). The whole setup was in front of a black backdrop. On the camera was another flash (45 degrees/catchlight card). I started to experiment with exposure and the incents which I used to create the smoke. I waved the incents behind the cocolate bar while I was triggering the cable release. After about 120 snaps I was getting close to what I wanted in one shot (exposure/smoke). But then the batteries of my main flash started to die on me. Amongst the last pictures, I had one perfectly exposed chocolate bar shot and one fairly underexposed chocolate bar shot (dead main flash) with perfectly exposed smoke behind it. So the main setup was never moved, and it all took place like it looks in the picture. I was going for that one shot which has it all. But after hooking up the battery charger I started to look what I got and combined those two "failed" shots into one which is the picture I posted.

Huh, ended up to be a somewhat lengthy explanation...

Feb 14, 2006 at 09:24 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.