Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2006 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Our pure white Persian cat, Paprika, gazes imperiously as I shoot photos of him in all his majestic indolence.

Feb 03, 2006 at 05:09 PM
ironabike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Good one, Endre. Is this one a "meannie cat" ?
Jane

Feb 03, 2006 at 05:22 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Hi Jane!
Thanks for the fast comment. I barely posted the photo! It's always so knd of you to comment on my stuff.
No, he's a sweetheart. He grew up with four rambunctious kids manhandling him constantly, so he is as docile as can be. In fact, if we don't show him enough attention, he follows us around meowing endlessly and has, on ocassion, literally jumped into my arms if i've ignored his pleadings. He's really more like a dog. His only drawback is that he throws up furballs a lot so I have to syringe a gooey medication down his throat every few days or I have to clean up messes on the carpet. Despite being basically a rag doll, though, he really knows how to put on that haughty, imperial look.
Thanks, again, for commenting.
All the best,
Endre

Edited by Strad on Feb 03, 2006 at 03:30 PM GMT

Feb 03, 2006 at 05:58 PM
jorgeS

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

To look at powerful, very good shot.

Feb 03, 2006 at 06:27 PM
tynorth
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Nice photo. A lot of character in that face.
Great.

Tynorth

Feb 03, 2006 at 08:32 PM
Hauber
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Awesome capture! What a look on his face. I am sure he is quite the sweetie though you can't tell from this facial expression.

Feb 03, 2006 at 09:59 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Great detail and contrast with the eyes - looks like he is sitting on a cotton cloud.

Ed

Feb 03, 2006 at 11:50 PM
macpine
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

How could anyone not love this face?! My first cat was a white persian - you have certainly captured their unique personality (even in the world of cats). The eyes are a marvel - great focus and exposure.

Ann

Feb 04, 2006 at 08:42 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Great entry Andre!
The white background is a perfect complement to the subject, it looks like a close up of the cat’s fur, great for the theme.
I’m a dog person myself, but his face and your comments might change my mind…

Feb 04, 2006 at 09:42 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

jorgeS wrote:
To look at powerful, very good shot.

Thanks, Jorge. I appreciate your taking time to comment.
All the best,
Endre

Feb 04, 2006 at 10:16 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

tynorth wrote:
Nice photo. A lot of character in that face.
Great.

Tynorth

Thanks, Ty.
He certainly is a character. I'm glad I was able to capture some of it.
Best,
Endre

Feb 04, 2006 at 10:18 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Hauber wrote:
Awesome capture! What a look on his face. I am sure he is quite the sweetie though you can't tell from this facial expression.

Thanks so much, Christine!
Coming from a big-time pro photographer like you I'm humbled by your kind comment. I just got to look at your gorgeous website and read all about you and you fabulous book. Congratulations! It looks like it's really fascinating.
Thanks again for taking time to comment.
All the best,
Endre

Feb 04, 2006 at 10:27 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

ESC in KC wrote:
Great detail and contrast with the eyes - looks like he is sitting on a cotton cloud.

Ed

Thanks, Ed,
He does have great eyes. I've got another close-up of him over at my BP website. I figured he wouldn't willingly cooperate with me in posing for a photo so I spread out a wrinkled white quilt on the bed and set up the camera in anticipation of his making himself comfortable on anything even softer than he is normally used to. Sure enough, about an hour later he was regally sprawled on the quilt and I got my oldest daughter to hold up the corners as a backdrop while I shot. I actually got a cool photo of him yawning, but I didn't think that a straight-on shot looking down the gullet of a cat was all that appealing for this contest. It looks like something out of "Alien".
Best,
Endre

Feb 04, 2006 at 10:36 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

macpine wrote:
How could anyone not love this face?! My first cat was a white persian - you have certainly captured their unique personality (even in the world of cats). The eyes are a marvel - great focus and exposure.

Ann

Thanks so much for taking time to comment, Ann,
I don't know what other Persians are like in their temperament. He doesn't have that squooshed-up face that so many have, so I really like him in addition to his being just a sweet cat.
Best,
Endre

Feb 04, 2006 at 10:41 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

jban99 wrote:
Great entry Andre!
The white background is a perfect complement to the subject, it looks like a close up of the cat’s fur, great for the theme.
I’m a dog person myself, but his face and your comments might change my mind…

Thanks, John. I always appreciate your kind comments.
I liked how the background made him stand out in places while in other areas he seems to blend in. I'm glad you like it, too.
I'm a dog person as well, but we have a crazy Sheltie that my for kids have driven absolutely mad. Although he is a good-natured dog his neurotic behavior drives us all a little batty. I'm tending to prefer this particular cat as a pet. I think he may be an anomaly, though, as far as cats go.
All the best,
Ende

Feb 04, 2006 at 10:47 PM
suse
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

It isn't always easy shooting white cats... I have a little white Persian too, called Hari. Its quite a feat... by the time you've got the settings worked out for the subtleties of the coat, he's disappeared to phone his agent and raise his fee...

I know what you mean about Persians' being dog-like. They crave company. Mine wails like an orphan when I go out of the door.

(btw, re the furballs, have you tried Royal Canin Persian 30 food? It's specially designed to help with the problem...it's more expensive than others, but we've found it makes a difference...I believe you can get it in the US)

Feb 05, 2006 at 09:32 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

suse wrote:
It isn't always easy shooting white cats... I have a little white Persian too, called Hari. Its quite a feat... by the time you've got the settings worked out for the subtleties of the coat, he's disappeared to phone his agent and raise his fee...

I know what you mean about Persians' being dog-like. They crave company. Mine wails like an orphan when I go out of the door.

(btw, re the furballs, have you tried Royal Canin Persian 30 food? It's specially designed to help with the problem...it's more expensive than others, but we've found it makes a difference...I
...Show more

Hi, Suse!
Thanks so much for the comments. You're right about the cat going to phone his agent. I managed to crank out only a few shots before he decided the intrusion into his afternoon nap was simply too much, so departed in a huff. Thanks, too, for the tip on the hairball food. I already feed him a concoction that is designed to mitigate hairballs and it definitely has helped reduce his fur clumping into knots. (I have some really funny photos of him when he had to go to the groomer and got all shaved off like a poodle, i.e. a little tuft of fur at the end of his tail and all the fur around his head was all that was left. That took him down a few notches in his own estimation. ). However, a food specifically designed for Persians sounds like it might be even more effective. I'll check it out. Still, the gooey stuff shot down his throat every few days has stopped the problem altogether.
All the best,
Endre

Feb 05, 2006 at 12:37 PM
Medowlark
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

This had to be a tough shot. Well done!

al

Feb 05, 2006 at 01:35 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Medowlark wrote:
This had to be a tough shot. Well done!

al

Thanks for the comment, Al. The biggest difficulty was keeping him in the right spot long enough to get the photo.
Best.
Endre

Feb 06, 2006 at 01:48 AM
markoner
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · # 191 How DARE You Interrupt My Beauty Sleep?

Beautiful cat and superb expression my friend !
Those green eyes...

Feb 06, 2006 at 05:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.