New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2006 · Re: Canon 430Ex or Sigma 500 DG

Scottbed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Re: Canon 430Ex or Sigma 500 DG

I have 2 of the Sigma DG 500s and have used them with a 300D and 350xt. I'm really happy with them, they perform flawlessly.

Sailaire wrote:
Also, will you every really bother with the extra manual features of the sigma flash, with your Rebel?

First, why wouldn't you use advanced manual functions of a flash on an XT? That's a pretty silly question, I didn't buy my XT to use 5% of it's functionality. The XT is better than a 10D and very, very close to a 20D in functionality.

Second, the Sigma 500 is more powerful, has more functionality, and can act as a master to trigger other flashes. I really love doing flash ratios and full manual master/slave configurations.

As far as compatibility, Canon isn't stupid enough to make a new camera that isn't backwards compatible to it's older flashes...that would piss too many people off. So, if the Sigma is compatible now (which it is), it will be as compatible as any Canon flash (bought now). If you had to upgrade the 430, you would have to upgrade the Sigma.

Problems with the Sigma: crappy manual and a clunky menu/interface

Feb 02, 2006 at 11:49 AM
mbellot
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Re: Canon 430Ex or Sigma 500 DG

mranu wrote:
Thank you everyone for your input. Can some of you with Sigma flash post some photos for all of us to view?

I have the Sigma as well, and I'm darn glad I got those extra features the 430 doesn't have. My 20D is with Canon right now for focus issues so I'm back to using my Oly 4040. The Sigma works great as a manual slave flash triggered off the (weak) camera flash, and my indoor P&S pictures never looked better.

The only downside I see with the Sigma is the (sometimes) strange user interface, and the way it resets certain things when shifting modes but leaves others intact. I usually use it in ETTL mode so its not that big a big deal.

I'll dig around when I get home and try to post some pics, but 99% of them will also have an Omnibounce attached (for diffusion), so YMMV if you don't get one.

EDIT: Thats actually something else to consider. If you intend to use a flash diffuser, like the Omnibounce, the higher light output of the Sigma will be very useful.

Feb 02, 2006 at 04:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.