FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2005 · funeral photography....

fotophroggie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · funeral photography....

Hey everyone,

i had the unfortunate event of attending my cousin's funeral this past weekend. he was 25 and died in an auto-collision with a drunk driver. i was fairly close with him so doing this is very important to me...

upon arriving at my funeral i was approached by my uncle and asked to take some pictures. it was a tough thing to ask of me but i found the assignment theraputic in a way... anyway, it was suggested that i put an album together for my uncle and aunt.

i would really appreciate it if i could get some feedback on what i've put together.

thanks,

victor

May 29, 2005 at 04:30 PM
JaimeR

[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · funeral photography....

You did this in a very beautiful respective, and professional matter.Im sorry for your loss.

May 29, 2005 at 04:36 PM
Wayne Crumm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · funeral photography....

Very well done. My respects.

May 29, 2005 at 04:43 PM
imperial
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · funeral photography....

Great job at putting together a tribute/memorial of your friend. Great use of black & white. I really like what you did with the composite photos that had smaller photos inserted against a larger, "de-contrasted" one. For me, this emphasized the loss and sense of memorial. Thanks for sharing.

May 29, 2005 at 04:44 PM
ProWeddingPhgr

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · funeral photography....

My respects to you and the family. You did a beautiful job at capturing the day and the emotion in a tasteful, respectful, memorible way.

May 29, 2005 at 04:46 PM
fotophroggie
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · funeral photography....

thanks for all the comments everyone. i was a bit worried about the design being a bit too much.

i'll make a few edits on it and send it out to them in the next few days. i really appreciate all the comments.

May 29, 2005 at 04:51 PM
jomor
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · funeral photography....

I too have lost family to a Drunk Driver, my sister. I know what it feels like. My sympathy to you and your family. As for your work on the funeral, they are very well done. The only thing I would have done is omitted the photo of your cousins open casket. As much as it was his funeral, I have always felt it better to remeber the person alive and not the visage of his death. That however is totaly a personal choice. Otherwise very well done.

May 29, 2005 at 04:57 PM
fotophroggie
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · funeral photography....

hi jomer...

thank you for your sympathy... drunk driving is absolutely horrible. especially when the driver has no recollection of ever causing the accident.

as for your suggestions, i was thinking the exact same thing... i have actually been debating back and forth. thanks for the feedback.

vic

May 29, 2005 at 05:02 PM
Paul0521
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · funeral photography....

Very beautiful and tastefully done. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Paul

May 29, 2005 at 05:07 PM
neroli
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · funeral photography....

Victor, a very sad ocassion for you and your family.

You have some beautiful photos here and the presentation is wonderful.

It must have been a very difficult task to take these, but what a precious memorial for someone special to you.

Very well done.

Judy

May 29, 2005 at 05:29 PM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · funeral photography....

I'm sorry for your loss, and you did a beautiful job.

May 29, 2005 at 06:30 PM
harryset
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · funeral photography....

What a gift you have, and have given.

May 29, 2005 at 06:52 PM
brucer
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · funeral photography....

Extremely well done. I can feel your empathy and your sense of loss in every photo. I have never seen such a thing as you have done. Something close might be photojournalism. but this transends the normal and gives all the viewers here the feeling of loss felt by all the friends and family. I wish such a thing would not have happened. I wish it would never happen again to anyone else ever. My prayers are with you and the family.

May 29, 2005 at 07:17 PM
njjuliano
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · funeral photography....

Very well done. I was also approached to document a family member's funeral. It was difficult, sensitive, emotional and exhausting. I find your images full of impact, and emoted a sense of honor.

Concerning his image on the casket. I was also asked to include that as well. I was more concerned of taking the actual pic than including it in the album.

May 29, 2005 at 07:27 PM
christa

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · funeral photography....

i'm sorry for your loss it's beautifully done and i'm sure you and your family will treasure it forever.

as for the open casket, i guess perhaps you can ask his family to see how they feel about it? he looked at peace. they may want it in the album. so the best way is probably to ask how they feel about it.

May 29, 2005 at 09:57 PM
prof_fate
• • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · funeral photography....

Very nicely done.
I have thought about funerary photography and you have shown that it can be done effectively and with respect.

Why did your Uncle as you to photograph it? It seems a bit unusual this day and age (perhaps not odd 100 years ago - times change)

Did anyone at the viewing/service have any issues with your taking pics?
What camera did you use? Did you use flash at all?

May 29, 2005 at 10:36 PM
jonwienke
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · funeral photography....

Well done. Not an assignment I'd have cared to take on.

May 29, 2005 at 11:42 PM
Andy Elle

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · funeral photography....

My condolences. I have to admit, I was always very sceptical about funeral photography and why would any one want to recall such a sad moment, but seeing these photos makes me realise that if the images are captured in an emotional way using symbolic objects and tastefully done they can be quite beautiful. I think you did a great job, especially considering the circumstances.

May 29, 2005 at 11:45 PM
fotophroggie
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · funeral photography....

I really appreciate all the kind comments you all have left here. At first, i was very uncomfortable with doing the work, but i felt there was a sense of trust bestowed upon me to do the work correctly and tastefully. it was really something that i was tenative of, but it was so very theraputic and offered so much closure to everything. thank you to all of you so much for sharing this burden with me.

for those of you who are interested, I stuck to my 85mm the entire time and found that to be more than enough for what i wanted to do. it made my camera small enough to capture things and appear as if i wasn't taking photographs at all. it was all ambient light with no flash. i did get a few weird looks from non-fmaily members, but i really wasn't in much of anyone's way to be noticed.

thanks again. you're all wonderful...

victor

May 29, 2005 at 11:51 PM
Daniel Chui
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · funeral photography....

Your photos sent chills down my spine. A while ago, a student at my school that I had talked to a few times died in a car accident. The school was devastated... almost everyone at least knew him a little bit and some people knew him really well - he was such a great guy.... is name was Jaerin. That night was one of the hardest nights of my life... and I still feel bad about it... it's so damn unfair. Jaerin, Jaerin with the great smile, you know? It just doesn't make sense.

When Jaerin died, you know, I realized how small this world is, and how fast things are over. Since then I've really tried to appreciate life for everything it is worth... because it is over before you know it.

Your photos, they honor your cousin. They made me almost want to cry... because I've been there and I've felt all of the pain... the feeling of futility. I'm really glad you took these photos... it wasn't easy I know but you did the right thing.

I can see through your photos, I can see that you loved him. You really loved him.

- Chui

May 30, 2005 at 01:19 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.