New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2005 · barebones PJ kit

localandbitter
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · barebones PJ kit

The 1D and 17-40mm (16-35mm is preferred) L seems lik a good idea for your starter setup. For the application of photojournalism, getting a second body to attach a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom to would be the next step, but getting close is a fundamental practice in PJ work as you probably already know. The 17-40mm will probably work well in close quarters and at medium distances. you can probably get the pair used with your $2k budget.

May 03, 2005 at 12:56 AM
nutek
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · barebones PJ kit

10d - $700
35-350 - $1000
20 1.8 - $300

May 03, 2005 at 01:06 AM
losloslos
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · barebones PJ kit

(Amazingly, I have both a Tamrac 976 and 974 that are both 17 years old and were for toting around my F1 gear... )

Good luck on what is really a "humanitarian" work of love! You substitute your more-politically-charged-word-of-choice.

I like localandbitter's choices, but, skip the 2.8...knowing how carribean life goes, being out after dark is a whole nother thing, and the 4.0 will be tons easier to haul, and cheaper. I also like Wenyao's choice...people diss the 28-300 and 35-350 a bunch, but (unknowningly) the like the pictures they make...the 35-350 is a big heavy lens but its now quite a bit cheaper.

A few years ago, every news guy I knew except "Primes Paul" had one on his Canon...

G.

May 03, 2005 at 01:07 AM
gyapp
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · barebones PJ kit

I would suggest a wide angle or a super wide angle if you really want to do PJ. Go to Agency VII's site, and you'll see why they're one of the most successful PJ companies around.

For PJ shots, what you're doing is to tell the story and it's tough to tell a story if your widest lens starts at 112mm on a 1.6x body with the 70-200mm lenses. Go with either a 16-35 or 17-40L and buy a 28-XX zoom lens and you'll be set.

May 03, 2005 at 02:03 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · barebones PJ kit

sbridges wrote:
Perhaps I'll get a 10d and a wide zoom for now and be able to better judge my needs when I return to the states for a week or so at Christmas. I've got a nice laptop, a Tamrac 608 (from the days of lugging around F1 equipment), decent monopod and light meter. If I avoid EF-S lenses I should be able to upgrade to a different body without any issues.

I really can' t see going with a 10D given the high-ISO performance of the 20D. I realize it's a big difference in price, but the 20D will give you 2 stops extra coverage for equivalent image quality with any lens you use. It means you can use lenses with maximum apertures of f/5.6 in the same light that you would use an f/2.8 lens on the 10D.

Having owned/used many of the lenses mentioned on this thread, I still think that in your particular situation with the budget constraints you have, the Sigma 18-125 is the obvious choice. Image quality is excellent and coupled to the 20D it's really quite useable throughout its range.

'Nuff said. Good luck with your decision.

May 03, 2005 at 09:31 AM
sbridges

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · barebones PJ kit

moondigger wrote:
I really can' t see going with a 10D given the high-ISO performance of the 20D. I realize it's a big difference in price, but the 20D will give you 2 stops extra coverage for equivalent image quality with any lens you use. It means you can use lenses with maximum apertures of f/5.6 in the same light that you would use an f/2.8 lens on the 10D.

Having owned/used many of the lenses mentioned on this thread, I still think that in your particular situation with the budget constraints you have, the Sigma 18-125 is the obvious choice. Image quality
...Show more

You're right about the two stops, not to mention all the other performance differences I'd be missing out on.

You really like the Sigma 18-125? I've been trying to read as much as I can about it. People seem all over the board about it. I've also been reading about the Tamron 28-75 2.8. In the end, like every other newbie, I'm back to that 'one best lens' question. Certainly the Sigma has the wider range.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I'll make a decision soon and let everyone know the outcome. I'm ready to be shooting again rather than writing about shooting.

May 04, 2005 at 12:26 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · barebones PJ kit

Three months ago I would have scoffed if somebody suggested the Sigma 18-125 as a good solution for any purpose. Nill Toulme's sample photos got me thinking that maybe it really was worth looking into. When I stumbled across a chance to buy one for $100 less than they usually go for, I jumped on it, figuring I could sell it for at least what I got it for if it failed to impress me. I still own it, and would be willing to pay the regular B&H price to replace it tomorrow if it fell off a cliff.

It is not a replacement for my shorter-range Canon zooms and primes, and based on what I've seen here on the forums the image quality of the Tamron 28-75 is better. But the Tamron isn't really a wide angle on a 1.6x camera, and it doesn't go as long either. They're lenses that serve different purposes. For a do-it-all zoom, it's a wonderful lens and the price is definitely right. When I'm going out with a specific photographic goal in mind, I use the best lens for the specific job. When I want to travel light, the Sigma 18-125 is perfect. A great range of useful focal lengths, and image quality that's more than adequate for such outings.

May 04, 2005 at 09:08 PM
sbridges

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · barebones PJ kit

I went ahead and purchased today. 20D body and the Tamron 24-75, couple of batteries and a reflector. I'll play with the Tamron and if I don't care for it, I can unload it here on the B&S.

I won't receive any of it until probably mid next week...it's not like I have time to do any shooting anyway.

I'd like to get the grip, but it sounds like waiting til the autumn might be better for that part.

Again, everyone, thank you for all your input. You brought up things I hadn't even considered and therein lies the beauty of this forum as a resource. Sharing knowledge, experience and witty banter.

And now moondigger, with your last post, I can spend the weekend considering whether I got the 'right' lens.

May 04, 2005 at 11:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.