FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

Looks like the D2Hs is much improved in the noise department:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD2HsNRtest.shtml

The D2Hs at ISO 1600 is comparable to the D2H at ISO 800.

Mar 26, 2005 at 10:56 PM
Bill De
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

Interesting.

But... is it worth the price over the D2H for someone wanting their first pro camera or upgrading from a D70 or D100..... or is it worth the price to upgrade from the D2H to the D2Hs?

At the moment... my vote is no for both... unless the price comes down a bit.

Mar 27, 2005 at 10:50 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

Bill De wrote:
Interesting.

But... is it worth the price over the D2H for someone wanting their first pro camera or upgrading from a D70 or D100..... or is it worth the price to upgrade from the D2H to the D2Hs?

At the moment... my vote is no for both... unless the price comes down a bit.

Considering it's the same price as the D2H was before it was discontinued, Nikon obvioulsy thinks there's still a market for pro shooters who need the speed and huge buffer more than they need megapixels.

It's certainly not aimed at amateurs who may be considering an upgrade from the D70 or D100; that's what the D70s is for.

Mar 27, 2005 at 11:21 AM
uccmmcpo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

Too bad they didn`t have at least a 5 MP sensor for the D2Hs. It would be a perfect compromise and might guarantee to keep sales afloat for a long time particularly for PJ`s and troves of wannabees.
Granted, the diff between 4 and 5 MP is not much and for sure it`s more of a mind over matter thing than anything else. However, the plain simple matter is that in this day and age 4 MP`s is thought of as a bit too little resolution for $3,500 . That is for forum members who are constantly tuned in and bombarded with the MP`s (resolution) sales pitch.
Anyway, regardless of how we look at it Nikon undoubtedly has more definitive reasons to keep the camera in production than we do and it just might still be a viable and profitable camera for the newspaper pros. I would think that most newspapers continue to use Nikon bodies if for no other reason that their lenses are already in place and paid for. Why would they want or need to switch?
John

Mar 27, 2005 at 02:21 PM
Glenn01
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

That is for forum members who are constantly tuned in and bombarded with the MP`s (resolution) sales pitch.

Most likely. That's why I take a totally different approach with my D2H (even AFTER getting the D2X). I use it. I take it out in the field and I shoot pictures with it. I don't spend hours reading forum posts that say the D2whatever is too noisy, too low a resolution, too this, or too that. I simply shoot with it, and get the results I'm expecting and looking for in that camera. Weird, eh?

a viable and profitable camera for the newspaper pros

Without question. One of the best PJ cameras ever made. I'll tell you, I've seen front page colour newspaper spreads, and 4 mp is PLENTY for the resolution the paper can give you. In fact, even the images in SI (glossy, colour) are not taxing to the D2H. I heard SI used D2H's to do all the last olympics.

Bottom line? USE the camera! Let the measurebators argue until they are blue. While they are doing that, the rest of us will be bringing home great images. "Ya either talk about it, or ya do it."

Glenn

Mar 27, 2005 at 04:00 PM
Bill De
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

Glenn... you hit the nail on the head!

I am using my D2H just as much as my D2X at the moment... side by side. My D2H is still producing high quality images and the results I expect.

I might go as far as to say that I can actually see myself possibly... I said possibly... using the D2H more than the D2X for my near future needs. Weird too?

I can just feel that there are those reading my previous statement ready to wash my mouth out with soap.

For general purpose, the D2H small RAW file size is simply a dream to work with. I get high quality images in a very small and compact file that works excellent for prints up to 8X10 inches... and excellent results on larger prints when care is taken. However, with the MP envy that seems to be so prevalent now, this simple advantage is over-shadowed. What... only 4MP? How could I use something like that?

I don't care what anyone says... the D2H also makes the perfect second body to a D2X... period.

Mar 27, 2005 at 09:14 PM
Bill De
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

srogouski wrote:
If you're unhappy with the megapixel count of the D2H, you could always buy one of these.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=111965&is=REG

And the film is cheap too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=202473&is=USA

I wonder if it has a burst mode you can use to bracket exposures.

Very nice!

As for burst mode... I think I read somewhere that it can shoot up to 7... maybe 8... frames per hour.

Mar 28, 2005 at 05:52 PM
srogouski
• • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

Bill De wrote:
Very nice!

As for burst mode... I think I read somewhere that it can shoot up to 7... maybe 8... frames per hour.

Every once in awhile I toy with the idea of buying a used 4 x 5.

A D2X or a 1Ds is still an SLR and still won't give you full control over the image the way a view camera does.

Mar 28, 2005 at 07:15 PM
Backdoctor
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

I have had periodic thoughts of needing more MP's but realize if I fill the frame on my D2H, it just cant get a whole lot better. I'd rather put the $ into glass that will fill the frame.

Mar 29, 2005 at 09:12 AM
Glenn01
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D2Hs Noise Test Results

Yup, that's the way I do it. I get it as close to perfect as I can in-camera (including cropping by camera placement, exposure, lowest ISO possible, etc), then I have very little left to do in the way of PP. The D2H will reward you every time when you treat it like a film camera.

Now, as for it "can't get a whole lot better", I must admit, as good as the D2H is (and as much as I love it and continue to use it), the D2X is blowing the "H" out of the water for landscapes and nature. And, so it should, but I'm quite surprised by just how good the "X" pictures are. So, yes it can (get a lot better), but that isn't to say I'd want to dump the "H". It's way too good and useful a camera for that .

Glenn

Mar 29, 2005 at 09:32 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.