FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2005 · HERE IT IS new rebel

patjsimpson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · HERE IT IS new rebel

This could be great for an underwater camera. I hope the housing makers jump on this quickly and start pumping out some housings.

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:47 AM
CanonShooter88
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · HERE IT IS new rebel

exactly what I was saying before...

I'm sure EVERYBODY here know that I'm a huge fan of big, bulky, and heavy (hahaha or if they don't they do now!!). Anyway I wouldn't accept any D-SLR smaller than the 300D, and now to see a camera that is much smaller AND weighs less, I'm not going near it. Again that's just me. I'm sure it will appeal to many people who are a fan of small, lightweight, and easy to use!

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:47 AM
mbohunsky
• • • •
[X]
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · HERE IT IS new rebel

CanonShooter88 wrote:
exactly what I was saying before...

I'm sure EVERYBODY here know that I'm a huge fan of big, bulky, and heavy (hahaha or if they don't they do now!!). Anyway I wouldn't accept any D-SLR smaller than the 300D, and now to see a camera that is much smaller AND weighs less, I'm not going near it. Again that's just me. I'm sure it will appeal to many people who are a fan of small, lightweight, and easy to use!

I was kind of dissapointed when I moved from my 10D to he 20D. The 20D feels toy-ish compared to the 10D. I might have to duct-tape a brick to it

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:49 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Guy Mancuso wrote:
It will sell like crazy. oh this forum is going to be nuts with Rebel Posters. Need a vacation

Oh that is so true!

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:52 AM
Mchu86
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Compared to the original Rebel, it doesn't look THAT much smaller. It looks like the gap between the grip and the lens mount is slightly smaller. I'm in love with the new features but I, too, am worried about the size of it.

Mod edit: Image removed. Copyright violation.

Edited by Fred Miranda on Feb 16, 2005 at 11:18 PM GMT

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:52 AM
Tim Speciale
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Tanner wrote:
Those buttons used to select metering mode and focus mode are the same buttons that were used for a test hack for the 300D that I was testing from one of the two guys (the infamous Ravil and Wasia).

Other than that, if the DRebel XT has the same image quality as the 20D and focus just as good, this could potentially be a great backup camera for those shooting with a 20D primarily. It's good to see that Canon did react to some of the larger request from 300D users such as MLU and selectable focus mode in the creative
...Show more

Call me crazy, but if it has AI servo thats even halfway decent, it might make a decen backup for people like me...with a 1D.

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:53 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Guy Mancuso wrote:
So does Kodak and they have been laying people off for a year. It's a a shame to see big companies like Kodak slip because of CEO's that don't know how to run a business

Kodak went back into profitability last quarter. Good news. We all need healthy competition.

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:55 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Here's Nikons 5 year trend. Their stock is up because Intel announced a large order for steppers. Canon is one of the other two stepper producers, so this will benefit Canon as well.

Feb 17, 2005 at 01:01 AM
unclebobo
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · HERE IT IS new rebel

mbohunsky wrote:
Did you see how tiny that camera is!?

That lens looks huge compared to the body! And it's one of the smallest lenses around.

Jeeze, just thinking about my 400 5.6 on there gives me the willies...

Feb 17, 2005 at 01:19 AM
coolmib
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · HERE IT IS new rebel

No one seems to have mentioned the shutter life. The old rebel seemed to start showing failures when the shutters near 10K. Don't know if the new rebel improves that ...

Feb 17, 2005 at 01:45 AM
unclebobo
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · HERE IT IS new rebel

coolmib wrote:
No one seems to have mentioned the shutter life. The old rebel seemed to start showing failures when the shutters near 10K. Don't know if the new rebel improves that ...

near 15k, and showing no signs of distress (knock on wood)...but I am preparing my finances for the inevitable....and my D30...well let's just say that used is a gross understatement as far as actuations

Feb 17, 2005 at 01:52 AM
kelvinz
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · HERE IT IS new rebel

I wonder why the difference of 200,000 pixels? 8.2 v 8?

in any case look like it will be a nice camera!

Feb 17, 2005 at 02:17 AM
sippinsoma
• • •
[X]
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · HERE IT IS new rebel

For those who are confused, (sorry if this has been said) the new 18-55 has USM. Otherwise I'm not sure.

Feb 17, 2005 at 02:38 AM
Anden
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · HERE IT IS new rebel

I think the rebel mk1 is too small. At least for my hands. Itīs perfect for my GF.
The cramped feeling holding it was one of the reasons I bought the 10D instead.
Now they make the mk2 even smaller...
I wonīt buy it. I will stick to my 10D.

Andreas

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:10 AM
Kevin Yong
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · HERE IT IS new rebel

I just went down to my local shop to have a play with the 300D. First time I've actually held it and I actually like the control layout. Smaller camera doesn't bother me as I don't have large lenses and do mostly landscapes, people and street stuff.

With the added features of MLU, FEC, AF and exposure mode choices it will be a good upgrade for 10D users who don't need the speed of the 20D.

I really really hope you can move AF to the * button. This feature is essential for my shooting style, and I cannot justify this camera if this feature is missing.

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:22 AM
sols
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · HERE IT IS new rebel

More good news for Canon users after hearing about Nikon's embarrasingly dismal new production.

This really sounds a MUCH better camera than the current DRebel!

Kudos to Canon for improving it's base DSLR system.

Good luck,
Sol

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:24 AM
Jkan2001
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · HERE IT IS new rebel

sippinsoma wrote:
For those who are confused, (sorry if this has been said) the new 18-55 has USM. Otherwise I'm not sure.

The old 18-55 had USM too, well 1 version did 1 didn't. The new rebel looks interesting but at the end of the day I'd rather stay with my 10D/grip until I can move up to a 20D. The plastic body and buttons on the back would end up frustrating me more than the extra resoultion is worth.

I guess the only thing this camera might actually that i'd want is better high ISO performance, but there's always neat image

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:26 AM
kawter2
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · HERE IT IS new rebel

well given this Nikkor is starting to equate to Sux0r

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:36 AM
sippinsoma
• • •
[X]
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · HERE IT IS new rebel

Jkan2001 wrote:
The old 18-55 had USM too, well 1 version did 1 didn't.

Hmph. Odd. Mine didn't when I got my rebel a while ago.

Ah well. It's 20D and L lenses now so who cares!

Feb 17, 2005 at 03:49 AM
jochen
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · HERE IT IS new rebel

coolmib wrote:

Indeed. That's one of the most important things I am looking for: a good shutter!

My 300D let me down while I was on vacation in Venezuela. "Your worst nightmare", I can assure you. Luckily I was able to repair my shutter with the aid of a toothpick.They started calling me McGyver after that...heh...

The rest of the features are nice but due to the hack I already have most of them. What remains is basically 2MP+ and choosable AI servo (Wasia's ware had a bug there).

So here's the plan (4 me):

-Wait for shutter life reports
- If OK, buy one
- If not OK, get a 20D instead (and hope the XT has brought down the price, hehe).

I've got a photsafari planned next year and don't want to jeopardize that. No more "shutteritis Venezuelitis" for me!

Feb 17, 2005 at 04:27 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.