Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2005 · Which one would you pick?

Sailaire
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which one would you pick?

CANON 24-85mm USM --- vs ------ Tokina ATX 24-200mm

As a General purpose walk around lens for a Canon 20D body, which would you choose, based on the following criteria:

Most important:
Sharpness and lens clarity overall

Second most important:
usefulness of zoom range

Third most important:
Use with a 420EX flash
(Does USM and ETTl-II give Canon the edge on this one?)

Fourth most important:
Quality, reliability, retention of it's purchase price over time

Fifth: Price
( Seems to be about identical for new as well as used)

And your Choice is?

Jan 24, 2005 at 05:39 PM
joncl

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which one would you pick?

24-85 usm any day

Jan 24, 2005 at 06:07 PM
lovcom
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which one would you pick?

I would 2nd the 24-85, but frankly, both are dogs.

As for the 420ex, neither lens has an advantage in regards to USM or ETT2.

I would suggest you save your money and look at other more expensive lenses.

Do tell us what you decide.

Dan

Jan 24, 2005 at 06:12 PM
Sailaire
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which one would you pick?

No doubt they are both dogs compared to the heavy artillery you have listed but this is my price range for a first lens. I could have gone with a better lens and a Rebel body but decided to go with the 20D for the long run.

So I have two votes for the Canon ........ Any strong reasons or just personal preference? I have researched reviews and test quite extensively and to my mind both seem pretty decent when stopped to F5.6 to F8.0. that's why I was looking for a tie breaker.

thanks

Jan 24, 2005 at 08:01 PM
J. Schuster
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which one would you pick?

i agree, both are dogs. if you want a cheap sharp lens to walk around with how about a 50 f/1.8?

Jan 24, 2005 at 08:03 PM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which one would you pick?

The 24-85 isn't as bad as some here would indicate. It's actually pretty good when you crop out the corners and edges of the full frame with the smaller sensor in the 1.6x bodies. Of course that same crop factor hurts your wide angle coverage, giving it a full-frame equivalent of 40-135mm.

For the same reason, I wouldn't recommend the 50/1.8, as good as it is. It's basically a short telephoto on the 20D, not terribly flexible for all-around shooting.

I'd actually recommend the Canon 20-35/3.5-4.5 USM as a good all-around lens that fits within your budget. Its FOV with the crop factor would give you a range of about 30-55 on a full frame camera, which covers wide angle and "normal" ranges pretty well. If you find one used, you'd have money left over to buy the 50/1.8 Mk 2 (as a portrait lens) and still stay within budget.

Disclaimer: I will be selling my 20-35/3.5-4.5 USM here soon, so my recommendation could be taken as self-serving. However, I would recommend it in your situation even if I wasn't selling one.

If you don't really need the wide coverage, I'd go with your initial suggestion, the 24-85.

Jan 24, 2005 at 08:22 PM
KHatfull
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which one would you pick?

You might check out the Tamron 24-135. Very well regarded, it was my first lens and sometimes, frankly, I miss the range in one lens. It's a bit on the large side but optically very good.

Jan 24, 2005 at 08:29 PM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which one would you pick?

You know, it occurs to me that you're spending way more on the body than you are on glass, which is kind of backwards. With the current rebate deals, you could get a digital rebel body for half the cost of a 20D, and have so much money left over that you could buy the 17-85 EF-S for maximum flexibility in one lens, or the 17-40 f/4 L for better quality.

If you just can't cope with the idea of a digital rebel, a 10D would save you enough money over a 20D to give you more flexibility with your lens choices.

Jan 24, 2005 at 08:38 PM
BrianP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which one would you pick?

I would pick the Canon. I wouldn't say the 24-85 is a dog by any means besides I like dogs! Seriously, if you can stop down a little most people would be hard pressed to see the difference between this an more expensive glass.

Jan 24, 2005 at 08:55 PM
jonwienke
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which one would you pick?

Putting cheap glass on a DSLR is like putting lipstick on a pig, but the other way around. It's a good way to make a $1500 camera perform just as good as a <$500 one. The image is only as good as the weakest link in the chain that produces it; lens, camera/film, and photographer.

Jan 24, 2005 at 11:50 PM
lovcom
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which one would you pick?

I agree with MoonDigger....put the big $ on the glass....glass last forever...bodies come and go.

Jan 25, 2005 at 12:07 AM
rycelover
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which one would you pick?

/begin rant
I don't get it ... what's with everyone?? The OP asked for an opinion about two specific zoom lenses based on his stated criteria and yet rather than responding to his question in a responsive, helpful or constructive manner, several of you insist on interjecting personal lectures about your approach to lens selection and be unnecessarily critical of his choices.

Note, his question did not ask whether you think it's a wise choice to pair up a "cheap" lens with a $1,500 camera. He simply wanted to know which of the two zoom lenses he wishes to purchase is better.

I would be willing to bet for those of you who commented negatively that you have never even seen or used either of the two zoom lenses.

Frankly, these types of responses offer no value because they fail to be responsive to the OP's issues. I don't mean to flame anyone, but one poster responded to the question which involved two zoom lenses with the suggestion that he pick up a prime lens! Now, we can debate until we're blue in the face about the pros and cons of zoom v. prime (if you'll note my signature, I favor the latter), but that wasn't his question, so the post was completely unresponsive.

/end rant

NOTE BENE: I realize that I don't have a helpful suggestion for the OP and I've engaged in the same behaviour that I've criticized others for, so for that I apologize in advance for wasting bandwidth and your time.

Jan 25, 2005 at 01:07 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which one would you pick?

I vote for the Tokina 24-200 if you're looking for an all-round travel lens. Both lenses are decent, but the extra range of the Tokina will do you some good when you're travelling.

Jan 25, 2005 at 01:38 AM
Joe-TN
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which one would you pick?

For very little more money than the 24-85 you can get the 28-135 IS, which a lot of folks agree is a very competent normal to telephoto lens on the 1.6 crop camera.

Most of the photos in this collection were shot with the 28-135, to give you an idea of it's flexibility.

http://www.pbase.com/joe_tn/jonesboro

Joe

Jan 25, 2005 at 08:03 AM
jaapv
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which one would you pick?

/comment on rant
In a way you are right, but I do think it is fair to extend expert (and nobody doubts that these are experts) advice in this case. It might save OP money in a few months time when he decides either of these lenses don't deliver what he wants.See his list of priorities.
/end of comment

Jan 25, 2005 at 08:04 AM
Sailaire
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which one would you pick?

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes I was trying to see if anyone had personal experience and hands on with either of these specific lens. I took quite a long time in deciding which route I wanted to go, and although some may be unhappy with my decision, I am not. The body research and information was quite thorough and easy to do with only two bodies. How many lens' are there?

For me the better glass will come in time. I feel I will appreciate the difference and know what to buy for my shooting style as time goes on.

I got the feeling perhaps a few had used the Canon 24-85, but nothing at all on the Tokina. At this point I still feel that for $ 200 bucks (Used , mint) for either lens is not a big expenditure, so if they really are dogs, I leaned something for not a lot of cash.

Let me rephrase my question:
If anyone owns or has owned either of these two lens, please give me some feedback regarding what you liked or disliked about it.
(No need to "reiterate not as good as "L"s")

Thanks!
P.S -- FYI -. I do have a Sigma 50mm EX DG on order.

Jan 25, 2005 at 09:16 AM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which one would you pick?

Sailaire,

Tokina 24-200: versatile! a one-in-all-lens that will probably not be too great at anything.

Canon 24-85: my choice if I were choosing between the two. I checked this one out at a camera store and was moderatly impressed with it's quality, but that's only because I tried the...

Tamron 28-75: here's the lens I would really get. I don't want to muddy the waters for you, but the Tamron is a constant 2.8 and gets good reviews from almost all who own it.

If this lens is going to be your starter walk around lens, sink a bit more cash into it. You obviously value quality (hence the 20D) so toss another $100 into a lens and get the Tamron!

Jan 25, 2005 at 09:48 AM
MASL
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which one would you pick?

I bought the 24-85 as my first lens, but replaced it recently with a Tamron 28-75 because it is a little soft, fine for portraits, but not really for landscapes. (If you really want one though, I'll sell you the 24-85 for $225).
No experience with the bigger tamron, and I can say that I miss the 24mm end of things with the tamron 28-75.

Slowly going all primes (again)

-Mark

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:11 AM
setiprime
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which one would you pick?

rycelover -

Gutsy and standup comment. I concur wholeheartedly !

Jon P. Ferguson

Oh by the way - I have the Tokina and find it VERY adequate !

Edited by setiprime on Jan 26, 2005 at 03:06 AM GMT

Jan 25, 2005 at 02:03 PM
Sailaire
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which one would you pick?

I found what I was looking for at http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

Rated for Optical quality on a scale of 1 to 5 here is what they say.
Tokina 24-200 --- 3.2 -- average (About $ 300)
Canon 24-85 USM -- 2.73 -- sub average (About $ 310)

And here's a couple more that were pointed out in the thread:
Tamron 24-135 -- 3.51 -- Good (About $ 330)
Canon 28-135 IS USM -- 3.25 -- Good (About $ 400)

And be careful on E-bay when bidding for a Sigma 50MM Macro:
Sigma 50mm EX Macro -- 4.65 -- Outstanding (About $250)
(The highest rated prime 50mm of all)

Sigma 50mm Macro --2.69 --- Sub Average Used about $ 150)
(The lowest rated 50mm prime of all)

Jan 25, 2005 at 02:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.