New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · I need your thought on Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5

jaredcolletti
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need your thought on Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5

I am a newbie doing a wedding for the first time and I am looking for a lens I can use for the majority of the ceremony if not all of it. I plan on asking many more questions in the next few months but in the more immediate I have a chance to pick up this lens for 75 bucks plus shipping and its great shape.

I currently have the stocker lens that came with my DigiReb, the 18-55, a 70-200 from walmart (hey, I picked it up for 75 bucks!) and a 50mm 1.8. af far as leneses do you think this is worth adding to my arsenal (bearing in mind the price). I also own a 420EX and a Stroboframe Quick Flip 350. I am a hobbyist with not a ton of money, but, I don't want to buy crap either a bit of an oxymoron maybe.

thanks for your responces.

jared

this is identicle to a post I put in the wedding photography section. I am sorry to have done that but, I need a responce ASAP. as the gentleman has other intrested parties. thanks alot

Jan 15, 2005 at 11:41 AM
unclebobo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need your thought on Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5

If you already have the kit lens, I'd pass and put this money away for something faster. You pretty much have this covered with the kit lens, and it is probably not going to be fast enough for indoor shots. Save your money and pick up a nice little 28-75 2.8 (it will cost 300-400, but it wont be money wasted.

GL

Jan 15, 2005 at 01:46 PM
Phil McNeil
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need your thought on Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5

I agree with GL, skip the 28-70, probably not as good as the kit lens. If you got a good copy of the kit lens it is about the best you're going to get without jumping up to $300 lens range. The 50 1.8 will be a very handy lens on the D-Reb, fast and quite good for sharpness.

I think the 28-75 that GL is talking about is the Tamron 28-75

You can get it for about $299 after rebate here at BuyDig

It would be a great step up in quality. Beware of getting lots of cheap lenses, better to have a couple nice ones.

Jan 15, 2005 at 10:11 PM
Desmoface

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need your thought on Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5

I just got the tamron 28-75 for me bloody 10d, outstanding lens, so far anyway.

Steve

Jan 15, 2005 at 10:53 PM
jaredcolletti
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need your thought on Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5

when I look up this lens for the canon. Its has "macro" in the name. Does that mean it wouldnt be a good lens for a wedding. I need a good all-in-one lens recommendation for a wedding. I dont want to pay more than 300 bucks, It that possible. I am new to this and am shooting this for a friend. Also, do anyother lens manufactures make"image stabilization" for thier lenses.
thanks alot.

jared

Jan 19, 2005 at 03:08 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need your thought on Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/reviews/canon2870.htm

I am very pleased with mine. Only big disadvantages are retracting lens barrel and rather heavy CA wide open. But sharpness, contrast, color, etc are remarkably good.

Jan 19, 2005 at 03:30 PM
bander
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I need your thought on Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5

The macro term in this case just means that it focuses close - about 12" from the "film" plane if I remember right. This just adds to the versatility of this lens. Don't sweat it.

Jan 19, 2005 at 03:37 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.