New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · EF 100-400 Question

glideslope
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EF 100-400 Question

First, thank you for your time:

Do you hear a slight "clunk" sound from the front of the lens when the IS activates, and again upon deactivation? I noticed this in mine for the first time last week. It is 10 months old with several thousand shots. There was also a faintly detectable "hum/buzz" when you put your ear on the lens tube. I had noticed my IS shots seemed unusually soft.

So, I sent it off to Canon on 12/31/04. I received it back today stating the IS was not working, and it was replaced under warranty.

The lens however still makes the noises, but my images look good . This is different from when I sent it to Canon.

I would have thought there was a relation between the "clunking/buzzing" and the malfunctioning IS that was replaced? I wonder if perhaps things were cleaned up instead of replaced?

Is it me?

Jan 12, 2005 at 01:15 PM
BrianJR
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EF 100-400 Question

The IS on my 100-400L also makes a clunking sound when it turns on and off. I believe that this sound is normal (although someone with more IS experience may want to confirm this).

Jan 12, 2005 at 01:33 PM
Maarten S

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EF 100-400 Question

This "clunk" sound is normal. I have this sound also on my 100-400. You would also see that image is moving a little at the same time. That's the IS kicking in and keep the image steady...

So no worries needed.

Greetz from the Netherlands

Maarten

Jan 12, 2005 at 01:47 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EF 100-400 Question

Mine does the clunk too. As long as you're getting great pictures from that great lens, nothing too worry about

Jan 12, 2005 at 03:51 PM
rjsmith
• •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EF 100-400 Question

All of my IS lenses make that "clunk "sound and also a whirring sound, neither of which I had ever heard until I read this thread and checked all of them in the quiet of my den. When I'm out shooting there is usually so much ambient noise that the sounds go undetected.

Ray

Jan 13, 2005 at 06:57 PM
gfiore

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EF 100-400 Question

That sound is normal!

Me too!

Giuseppe

www.giuseppefiorentino.com

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.