Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

svdc82
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Part of the movie "Sleepers" was filmed here. It's actually a former mental hospital and has been sitting empty for the past 10 years. This is just a start of a long term project documenting the abandoned asylums of New England. All shot on HP5 or Delta 400. I have another roll to scan, but after spending 3 hours on just 2, I'm done for the night. I would love any comments and/or critiques.

Sara

Jan 10, 2005 at 06:37 AM
Playashot
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Sara: I love these shots and the concept. I've always been facinated by the haunting images of institutions and the institutionalized. Diane Arbus made a permanent impression on me at a young age.

I'd loved to be kept apprised of progress if you have any provision for that.

Tom

Jan 11, 2005 at 06:47 AM
nowicki
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Sara,
Great images! I think that if I would critique one thing, it would be to add a little more contrast on a few of the images. That just may be my pref. But overall these are grerat shots that speak of emotion and a closed door to the past.
Thanks for sharing,
Ryan

Jan 11, 2005 at 08:03 PM
svdc82
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Tom,
Thank you. I'm shooting three more institutions this weekend, so I'll post those next week.

Sara

Jan 13, 2005 at 07:10 AM
svdc82
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Ryan,
Thank you. I was actually afraid of adding too much contrast, but I think I will play around with the images some more.

Sara

Jan 13, 2005 at 07:11 AM
Dotsey
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

I really like these images, especially the ones heavy with lines. I like vectors. The second or the fifth is my favorite. I also like shooting old, forgotten places. There are a few minor things I'd maybe suggest for a few of the pictures (checking horizontal/verticals lines, recropping) but over all I reallyl ike these images. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Jan 13, 2005 at 08:57 PM
svdc82
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Dotsey,
Thank you. I'll try working on the vertical/horizontal lines.

Sara

Jan 14, 2005 at 02:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoninSTi

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Are any of those shots the abandoned asylum by UCONN?

Jan 14, 2005 at 06:04 AM
svdc82
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Are any of those shots the abandoned asylum by UCONN?

No, it's in Newtown, off 84. The only other CT one I was aware of is in Norwich. Can you tell me anything about the one near UCONN? I'd love to visit since it's only about 45 minutes away.

Sara

Jan 14, 2005 at 06:32 AM
Playashot
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Thanks Sara. I will watch for these.

Jan 14, 2005 at 06:32 AM
Anden
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

i find these asylums really creepy and since you told me about the film it made your pics creepy too. I would never wander around an abandonned asylum alone. no way. I feel bad just thiknking about it. Anyway: Great photos!

A

Jan 15, 2005 at 07:37 AM
Dotsey
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

But that's part of the great fun of wandering around these old abandoned places! It's a feeling of wondering about the individual stories coupled with a vague feeling of trespass and abandonment. That's what it is for me anyway, and that's one thing I love about pictures like these, the experience for the photographer who loves this kind of thing.

Jan 15, 2005 at 02:02 PM
svdc82
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Andreas,
Thank you for your thoughts. I figure most people do find it a little creepy, but I find a lot of beauty in these places. I love that these buildings are of an architectural style that will never be built again and rarely preserved (only a handful have been turned into other things). Plus the incredible amount of history these places hold draws me to them too. Some horrible things have gone on behind the walls and I feel that those who have served and lived in them deserve to be remembered.

And I'm scared to walk around them alone too! Way tooooo chicken I always have someone with me.

Sara

Jan 16, 2005 at 11:34 PM
svdc82
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "Wilkinson Home For Boys"

Dotsey,
Couldn't have said it better myself!

If you're interested in seeing some great photos (including interiors) of New England asylums take a look at John Gray's work. Just a small amount of the work he's done, but truly amazing.
http://www.grayphotography.net/

Sara

Jan 16, 2005 at 11:49 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password