New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2004 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Tim Wild
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

I'm a bit of a newbie at photography, so i'm looking for a little help re my next purchase.

I'm going to order myself the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro USM lens some time very soon. Is there anything anyone would suggest I get with it? On my list I have a hoya UV filter, mainly for protection. Should I get the pro1 filter like I got last time ($60), or are the $32/$34 filters good enough for a beginner like myself?

I was wondering if it was worth getting closeup filter thingies to stick on it too. Does anyone think it's worthwhile doing that? The level of macro i'm interested in is getting an ant or small insect near enough to full frame at the minimum focussing distance.

Also, I assume I should get a lens hood, can anyone suggest which one I should get? I shop at B&H. A lens that costs that much should really come with one IMHO.

I'm going to get the Canon 50mm 1.8 at the same time, with a mid priced hoya filter, and I probably should get a lens lens hood for it too. Suggestions for this are welcome, especially the hood.

Thanks in advance for any help

Tim

Dec 07, 2004 at 05:02 AM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Thanks Peter Maybe i'll get cheaper filters and take 'em off... i'd hate to have them off and scratch the lens tho! I have a couple of followup questions...

How do I know what type of hood to get from B&H? I guess canon makes different sizes and I have to match them up somehow. Also, are there such things as third party hoods and are they worth considering?

Dec 07, 2004 at 06:10 AM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Cheers Peter, i'll take a look tomorrow when my eyes aren't being held open by toothpicks

Dec 07, 2004 at 06:34 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

I dont know if you have one already, but LI would suggest a good tripod. at macro distances (I have the 100 2.8, I believe its minimum distance is .3 meters, or less than a foot, which is a reasonable working distance), the DOF is minute, less than an inch. For the most part, you want to stop down your macro work, which leads to longer shutter speeds, which means you need a tripod.

Have fun with the 100 2.8 macro, It is a very sharp lens for a non L.

Dec 07, 2004 at 06:36 AM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

I have a tripod, not a great one, a silk one, but it does the job, at least in landscape orientation. I'll have to actually bother to take it with me!

btw the 100 2.8 has a minimum focal distance of 5.9 inches, 15 cm.

Dec 07, 2004 at 06:39 AM
Phil McNeil
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

The ET-67 hood at B&&H

Pricey at $39

I am a filter person myself, I get cheapish ones and take them off when I am shooting in clean environments.

I say skip the filter for the 1.8, the lens is such a bargain you'd be better off just keeping it clean and taking the risk of damage.

Edited by mc05401 on Dec 07, 2004 at 10:27 AM GMT

Dec 07, 2004 at 06:41 AM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Thanks for the link Phil, that hood's for the 100mm lens I take it?

I might take your advice on the 50mm, or maybe i'll get a cheapie filter. Then again i'm getting the 1.8 for shooting at night, when is when coatings might make a difference. I'll ponder that...

Dec 07, 2004 at 06:46 AM
Pixelated
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Tim-

You're going to love the 100 f2.8 macro. It's one of my favorite lenses. Here's a shot I took with it and my 300D. I recommend getting a wired remote too as it will reduce camera shake, even when on a tripod.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting/data//3818/28790CRW_1117_01.jpg

Good luck. Enjoy your new lens.

jeff

Dec 07, 2004 at 11:32 AM
Volleybob
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Flash, off camera cord, flash diffuser.

Dec 07, 2004 at 01:37 PM
sapro
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Since you mentioned shooting insects, I think a ring flash is almost a must-have. A tripod may not be that important for critters. Ring flashes are quite expensive though. Alternative will be a regular flash, off cam cord and a flash bracket. But the setup will cost about the same as a ring flash. Otherwise you will experience frustration of shallow DOF. Also, be ready to clean up your sensor, you will see dusts showing up when you stop down to get DOF.

Dec 07, 2004 at 01:48 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

The Pro1 UV filter you can get cheaper from Delta Intl. for about $35 in that size. also the lens hood is a MUST for that lens. Otherwise you're all set. Well maybe a nice LowePro zippered padded pouch would be nice as a individual touch in case you store the lens separately.

Dec 07, 2004 at 01:53 PM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Volleybob wrote:
Flash, off camera cord, flash diffuser.

sapro wrote:
Since you mentioned shooting insects, I think a ring flash is almost a must-have. A tripod may not be that important for critters. Ring flashes are quite expensive though. Alternative will be a regular flash, off cam cord and a flash bracket. But the setup will cost about the same as a ring flash. Otherwise you will experience frustration of shallow DOF. Also, be ready to clean up your sensor, you will see dusts showing up when you stop down to get DOF.

I'm sure you're both right about needing a flash, but i'm trying to trick myself into thinking i'm spending less money be spreading it out a bit. A flash is definitely in my future, I was thinking 550/580EX, maybe i'll think about a ring flash some time too.

It the $99 Vivitar ring flash from B&H worth having?

Traveller, thanks for the tip, but I tend to buy at B&H because of hastles with international ordering from many stores. B&H ship to me here in NZ no problem and for a reasonable price.

Dec 07, 2004 at 04:44 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

I tend to use my 420EX/550Ex with the Wescott Apollo Mini softbox for macro shots. Nice diffused effects. Best coupled with either the Off Camera Cord or the wireless transmitter ST-E2.

Samples: http://www.galant-ho.com/fall04/phipps/index.htm

Dec 07, 2004 at 05:36 PM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Those are nice shots nutek! Will I realistically be able to take macro photos without a flash? If not there's no point getting the rather expensive lens without it.

If I need a flash, would a 420EX flash be good enough for macro work, and would it also be suitable for a general use flash? At $179 the 420EX isn't too expensive, but stepping up to the 550EX is $300. Or is there another brand flash that I should look into, like sigma/vivitar? I'm a hobbyist not a pro, but I can afford nice toys

Dec 07, 2004 at 05:50 PM
Ed W
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Hi Tim,

I just thought I'd throw in the 50 f/2.5 macro as an alternative to the 50 f/1.8. It's not *that* much more expensive (from B&H), but it's a fine lens for portaits as well as macro shots.

http://www.quantumfire.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/Cherry_Macro.jpg

Dec 07, 2004 at 06:21 PM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Thanks for the thought ed, but i'm happy with my choice of lenses: 50mm for low light, and 100mm macro for small stuff. It's the flash thing i'm thinking about now!

Dec 07, 2004 at 06:24 PM
Ed W
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

No worries, Tim. The 550ex is a fine general purpose flash, but I've never used it with the 100 macro so I can't comment on how well suited it is for macro work. I guess it would really depend on the kind of shots you're thinking of doing.

By the way, the shot that I posted above was done using natural light and a reflector.

Dec 07, 2004 at 06:50 PM
Chance

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Tim,

Save your money on the filters, you really don't need them. Use the money on a lens hood for the 100mm. The front lens element is very near the front end so it definitely needs one. Get a sturdy tripod which allows you to go real low, almost ground level shoots. Gitzo 2220 and Manfrotto 3021 Pro (relatively cheap) both have convertible center columns for lower level shoots. My own learning experience is that try not to do too much at first as there are many things you will discover in the process. And many times it is quite frustrating especially if you do a lot of shooting outdoor in the field. Anyway, enjoy, the 100mm is a wonderful lens.

Chris C.

Dec 07, 2004 at 07:30 PM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

The filters i've decided to get are Canon ones, and only cost about $13 or so each, so they're not an issue. Also I know my tripod's not the best, but for now it'll do. I'll upgrade later if I feel my current one isn't working. Thanks for your suggestions Chris

Dec 07, 2004 at 07:51 PM
John Black
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · canon 100mm 2.8 macro help

Cheap filters may do more harm than good. They can cause ghosting, flare, vignetting, reduce light levels and interfere with AF. Use a filter when it will improve the picture; otherwise, you're just putting cheap glass in front of a great lens.

Dec 07, 2004 at 10:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.