New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2018 · Long Range Flash Triggers

Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Long Range Flash Triggers

I've been using CyberSync flash triggers for a number of years now and on the whole have been happy with them. However, I'm looking for something with longer range. I get about 180 yards (~550 feet) out them, and a bit further in relay mode. I'd like something that doubles that, perhaps. I don't need iTTL--manual triggers work just fine for me. I plan on buying used ones. The triggers must be pretty durable as I mostly shoot outdoors in Dakota winters (down to about 25F below zero, or more.) Triggers will be used on Nikon SB-25 flash and PCB X3200. I've been looking closely at used Pocket Wizard Plus III. The only thing I don't like about them is size--5 inches tall. Something that large would really catch the wind here, and I'm not sure how I would mount them to the SB-25. Right now I just have a bit of velcro on the top of my flash and the bottom of the CyberSyncs and that works fine.

So, what's out there? I need eight of them. MUST be reliable. I'm going after bigger scale shots now.

Kent in SD

BNSF Karnak Trestle, KO sub

Jun 25, 2018 at 09:01 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Long Range Flash Triggers

PW is reliable, and widely available on the used market. I have four PW Plus II, a MultiMAX, and three Profoto packs with inbuilt MultiMAX. Plus II is the cheaper model and, using its four channels, you can construct a topology of seven flash sectors in a line: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7. Each sector is separated by 400' and may include any number of flash units. You stand in sector 4 with camera and attached PW. All other sectors have a pair of PW wired together for purposes of sector triggering and relay. Each flash unit has its own PW, of course. I tested the relay capability in my studio with three sectors.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:15 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Long Range Flash Triggers

PW Plus II is good bet, durable and reliable from my experience, which is not the case of some of the new and smarter PW units... :-)

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:26 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Long Range Flash Triggers

rico wrote:
PW is reliable, and widely available on the used market. I have four PW Plus II, a MultiMAX, and three Profoto packs with inbuilt MultiMAX. Plus II is the cheaper model and, using its four channels, you can construct a topology of seven flash sectors in a line: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7. Each sector is separated by 400' and may include any number of flash units. You stand in sector 4 with camera and attached PW. All other sectors have a pair of PW wired together for purposes of sector triggering and relay. Each flash unit has its own PW, of course. I
...Show more

The CyberSync will do something similar. I've coupled a CyberSync receiver to an older PW to "jump" a signal across a longer distance. (In this case a lake.) However, sync speed suffers. Is that the case with the set up you described above?

Kent in SD

Jun 26, 2018 at 08:43 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Long Range Flash Triggers

If you feel the PW option is within budget, I'll take the trouble to measure a sector hop. I agree that any delay with a moving train could generate double-exposure artifacts. Alternatively, you could lay a sync cord across the field and take your chances with lightning strikes!

Jun 26, 2018 at 09:49 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Long Range Flash Triggers

rico wrote:
If you feel the PW option is within budget, I'll take the trouble to measure a sector hop. I agree that any delay with a moving train could generate double-exposure artifacts. Alternatively, you could lay a sync cord across the field and take your chances with lightning strikes!

That's the way O.W. Link used to do it. I'm not wanting to start carrying 300 yards of cable though, and laying it across a lake would have it's own issues. I have a pair of PW Plus II that I sometimes use to jump a signal a long distance to a "pod" of CyberSyncs. Only issue I have with them is they are pretty large. Another solution I have thought of is to simply set a flash at the limit of my Cybersyncs, and then use the optic trigger on the X3200 to fire those from further away. I've found those to be very sensitive, especially on the dark nights in the middle of nowhere that I frequent.

Kent in SD

Jun 26, 2018 at 05:53 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.