FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              28      
       30              252       253       end

"Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

Lance B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #1 · p.29 #1 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

Sorry all. Yes, I have had to keep a secret. I have had the 500 f5.6 PF for almost 2 weeks but had to keep it quiet as I wasn't supposed to have it yet. The lens was delivered to my store who then rang me to say it had come in and I could pick it up, which I duly did. I then went off to the zoo for some testing and no sooner had I got there than I was rung by my store to say that the lens was delivered to them by mistake and Nikon asked me to keep is quiet until now. As you can imagine, I was eager to tell everyone how good this lens is and now I can with the embargo lifted!

I was going to post simultaneously here and at DPR but I ran out of time and could only get to it now as I know how many of you were eager to see some samples. Sorry for any delay.

It is a stunning lens considering the size and weight. It's quite amazing. Sharp from wide open, there is no need to stop down other than for DOF purposes. AF speed is fast, not 400 f2.8E FL VR fast, but I managed to track Peregrine Falcons with it and get some great shots. If the 400 f2.8 is a 9/10 for AF speed, then the 500 PF is a good 7.5/10, the 200-500 is a 5/10.

I think Nikon will sell these lenses by the bucket load.

Sample gallery. Look at them at "original" size which is shown under the image. There are options for size: "Small", ",Medium", "Large" and "Original". Choose original as this is the largest size.

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/nikon_500_56pf

All EXIF intact and there is a drop down box under the image on my site which displays the EXIF as well.

Some samples all on the D850. Some cropped some original and uncropped. Some from the zoo, some are wild animals. The Peregrine Falcons are wild, as is the Wombat, Satin Bowerbird, Ibis and Seagull.

Shot through mesh, hence the slightly nervous background bokeh.

Crop of above.

Sep 14, 2018 at 04:09 AM
TimMunsey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #2 · p.29 #2 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

I spotted it but refrained. Looks a handy climb up the mountain lens .

Tim

Sep 14, 2018 at 04:55 AM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.29 #3 · p.29 #3 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

Great job Lance. Lens looks fantastic. Pictures show great detail and that Ibis shot is just sick.

Sep 14, 2018 at 05:19 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.29 #4 · p.29 #4 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

@Lance.... drooling!
I wish stores would make mistakes like that for me
Based on what I am seeing here Lance, I think you are correct. This lens will sell well. While not everyone has nearly $4000 to blow on a piece of camera equipment, those Nikon shooters who want to photograph wildlife and sports will finally have an "affordable" pathway to telephoto quality that seems to be the hallmark of a quality prime lens.

Still hoping I get one by the end of next week.
bruce

Sep 14, 2018 at 05:35 AM
apertur3
• •
p.29 #5 · p.29 #5 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

I think we already have an affordable, high-quality lens for wildlife with the 200-500. I'd wager that my copy can match the sharpness we're seeing here from the 500PF. I think the main advantages will be smaller size, lighter weight and faster AF. Disadvantages are price, and losing the flexibility of zoom.

Sep 14, 2018 at 08:20 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.29 #6 · p.29 #6 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

Just an update for those who ordered from B&H... Yesterday evening I was told that the lens would not be received by the store until 9/20, and that was that.

This morning I received notice that the lens has been shipped and should arrive Monday morning. Looks as if the left hand is not talking to the right hand (that is the warehouse and NYC store are out of sync). For those who ordered from B&H, I would guess that your lens should be on the way too.

cheers,
bruce

Sep 14, 2018 at 08:20 AM
apertur3
• •
p.29 #7 · p.29 #7 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

OwlsEyes wrote:
Just an update for those who ordered from B&H... Yesterday evening I was told that the lens would not be received by the store until 9/20, and that was that.

This morning I received notice that the lens has been shipped and should arrive Monday morning. Looks as if the left hand is not talking to the right hand (that is the warehouse and NYC store are out of sync). For those who ordered from B&H, I would guess that your lens should be on the way too.

cheers,
bruce

How early did you order?

Sep 14, 2018 at 08:24 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.29 #8 · p.29 #8 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

apertur3 wrote:
I think we already have an affordable, high-quality lens for wildlife with the 200-500. I'd wager that my copy can match the sharpness we're seeing here from the 500PF. I think the main advantages will be smaller size, lighter weight and faster AF. Disadvantages are price, and losing the flexibility of zoom.

My wife uses a 200-500VR that I have matched to a specific D500. This lens has been sharp throughout the range, as I have posted many pics in the 200-500VR thread. I will be pairing the 500PF to a different D500 and will compare them both in the field. With the crane migration beginning in my area in the next few weeks, I hope to shoot the 500PF, 200-500VR, and my trusty 200-400VR (all w/ their own D500). I won't be doing any brick wall tests, as this tells me nothing about real use in the field... I'll leave that to others.

I'll be very disappointed if the PF does not have better micro-contrast than the 200-500 when shooting subjects that are at a distance or in low light... time will tell.

regards,
bruce

Sep 14, 2018 at 08:26 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.29 #9 · p.29 #9 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

apertur3 wrote:
How early did you order?

August 23... and filed with NPS

Sep 14, 2018 at 08:27 AM
apertur3
• •
p.29 #10 · p.29 #10 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

OwlsEyes wrote:
August 23... and filed with NPS

Cool, looking forward to your results. I'm happy with the IQ of my 200-500, but hopefully the PF is even better

Thanks. I also ordered on 8/23, but not NPS. Did you order very early in the AM?

Sep 14, 2018 at 08:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Colin F
• • • •
p.29 #11 · p.29 #11 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

apertur3 wrote:

I would imagine too that the new 500 PF will work much better with extenders than the 200-500.

Sep 14, 2018 at 08:41 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.29 #12 · p.29 #12 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

Lance B wrote:
Sorry all. Yes, I have had to keep a secret. I have had the 500 f5.6 PF for almost 2 weeks but had to keep it quiet as I wasn't supposed to have it yet. The lens was delivered to my store who then rang me to say it had come in and I could pick it up, which I duly did. I then went off to the zoo for some testing and no sooner had I got there than I was rung by my store to say that the lens was delivered to them by mistake and Nikon
...Show more

These are terrible, the lens is a total dud....Lance is a Nikon ambassador shill so everything is a lie....

Oh almost forgot....everyone should "boycott" this lens
....mostly so mine will get here sooner....

Sep 14, 2018 at 08:57 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.29 #13 · p.29 #13 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

apertur3 wrote:
Cool, looking forward to your results. I'm happy with the IQ of my 200-500, but hopefully the PF is even better

Thanks. I also ordered on 8/23, but not NPS. Did you order very early in the AM?

I ordered from B&H at 6:30 AM and followed up with NPS towards the end of the month when I figured out how to register the purchase with them.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:13 AM
apertur3
• •
p.29 #14 · p.29 #14 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

OwlsEyes wrote:
I ordered from B&H at 6:30 AM and followed up with NPS towards the end of the month when I figured out how to register the purchase with them.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I ordered at 4am, but looks like they are giving priority to NPS. Good luck! Let us know how you like the lens

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:45 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.29 #15 · p.29 #15 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

BestBuy shipping notice just dropped into the inbox. Murphy has me 500 miles from home. Was hoping for FedEx, they'll park it for me. UPS it is though but my driver gets sirloin every now and then and a text message will solve that issue.

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:50 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.29 #16 · p.29 #16 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

apertur3 wrote:
Interesting, thanks for the info. I ordered at 4am, but looks like they are giving priority to NPS. Good luck! Let us know how you like the lens

I am told by a very reliable source at BH that there is only one queue...so I am not sure why Owleyes ordering at 6:30 gets shipped out before yours 4 or 4:13 like mine...there are not enough lenses to cover the pre-orders so need to put on my patience pants....if I can find them

Eric

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:55 PM
ELinder
• • • •
p.29 #17 · p.29 #17 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

B&H just charged my card for my NPS order from 9:30AM the morning of the announcement.

Erich

Sep 14, 2018 at 01:52 PM
marc2307
• •
p.29 #18 · p.29 #18 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

Not that I would dream of rubbing it in for those still waiting, I took delivery of my new 500PF

Here side by side next to my 70-200E f/2.8 very similar in size and weight, this will make a great walking/ birding lens granting a 750mm f5.6 (FOV) on a DX body ......very cool

Have found AF quite fast, sure one cannot possibly compare it to my lightening AF fast 400 2.8E or 70-200E and should never have even thought it would, but found it faster than my 300PF, and kills the 200-500 (as it should) plus let's not forget once you have the 8M limiter set it's fast indeed and still makes for a perfect BIF lens, it just rocks on my D5 I can tell you!

Off to Botswana on the 26th to put it through its paces

Cheers
Marc

Edited on Sep 14, 2018 at 02:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2018 at 02:11 PM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.29 #19 · p.29 #19 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

Mine's at my house. Wish I was at my house.

Sep 14, 2018 at 02:16 PM
apertur3
• •
p.29 #20 · p.29 #20 · "Official" Nikon 500 f/5.6E PF Discussion and Image Thread

eyelaser wrote:
I am told by a very reliable source at BH that there is only one queue...so I am not sure why Owleyes ordering at 6:30 gets shipped out before yours 4 or 4:13 like mine...there are not enough lenses to cover the pre-orders so need to put on my patience pants....if I can find them

Eric

Maybe check around at some of the smaller stores online. I found one a little while ago and just ordered

Edited on Sep 14, 2018 at 02:35 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2018 at 02:16 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.