FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2018 · New Sony firmware released

rhawidantas
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Sony firmware released

Benefits and Improvements from the latest update

A new Interval option is now selectable for Pixel Shift Multi Shooting: [On: Shooting Interval 0.5sec] option added to the menu
*When the camera is connected to a PC, please use the latest version (1.2 or later) of the Imaging Edge software.
*When using an A-mount lens via a Mount Adaptor (LA-EA1/ LA-EA2/ LA-EA3/ LA-EA4), the interval might be slightly longer.
Bracketing is now available during Silent Shooting with uncompressed RAW
Improves the peaking display level for S-Log shooting
Improves the Eye AF, which under a specific set of circumstances, did not work properly
Solves an issue where [Viewfinder Brightness] was not being reflected correctly in [Manual] setting
Improves the overall stability of the camera

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ILCE7RM3&LOC=3

Of particular interest to me is the "Bracketing is now available during Silent Shooting with uncompressed RAW". I am wondering if there will be any drop in bitrate if that when used.

Since I do not own a RIII, one reason being this fix was not there, any brave soul that wants to test this and report back?

May 08, 2018 at 05:04 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Sony firmware released

rhawidantas wrote:
Of particular interest to me is the "Bracketing is now available during Silent Shooting with uncompressed RAW". I am wondering if there will be any drop in bitrate if that when used.

I'm hopeful. By process of elimination, the on-line Help Guide does not say (or add) that 12 bit is a limitation of Silent + Bracket + uncompressed RAW. It still has the same limitations listed as the PDF I downloaded a while ago;

RAW images recorded with this camera have a resolution of 14 bits per pixel. However, resolution is limited to 12 bits in the following shooting modes:
[Long Exposure NR]
[BULB]
[Cont. Shooting] when [RAW File Type] is set to [Compressed]

It does look like they updated the on-line Help guide as the section about Silent Shooting is different. It used to have this line but it's gone now;

Bracket shooting is unavailable during silent shooting when [ File Format] is set to [RAW] or [RAW & JPEG] and [ RAW File Type] is set to [Uncompressed].

May 08, 2018 at 06:15 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Sony firmware released

Not sure why I’m doing this but I’m updating now. I must have a pension for stressing myself out or something.

May 08, 2018 at 07:32 AM
zurih
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Sony firmware released

I hope a similar fix for Eye AF will come to the A7III as-well in the near future...

May 08, 2018 at 07:40 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Sony firmware released

GMPhotography wrote:
Not sure why I’m doing this but I’m updating now. I must have a pension for stressing myself out or something.

taking (another)one for the team ... thanks Guy!

May 08, 2018 at 07:47 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Sony firmware released

Not sure what this means but the Rokinon 50mm 1.4 which I had issues with in regards to focus seems better. One thing I notice and this may have nothing to do with firmware but my issue might have been in AF-C if the subject is NOT moving than it acquires focus than holds than starts over again to acquire focus. Kind of makes sense since its looking for motion.

May 08, 2018 at 07:55 AM
Holger
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Sony firmware released

Update worked fine, but took longer than usual (my impression). If I quickly move the camera with eye-AF enabled, the green square is lagging a bit but doesn't behave as erratic as before. All images I took so far look fine.

May 08, 2018 at 09:24 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Sony firmware released

Pixel shift does do .5 seconds now

May 08, 2018 at 09:34 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Sony firmware released

GMPhotography wrote:
Pixel shift does do .5 seconds now

That’s twice as fast and a great improvement. I will try Pixel Shift again now.

May 08, 2018 at 09:43 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Sony firmware released

Fred Miranda wrote:
That’s twice as fast and a great improvement. I will try Pixel Shift again now.

I will too, but I'll wait to upgrade till I find out whether SonyPixelShift2DNG will work properly, or if it will also need an upgrade.

May 08, 2018 at 10:59 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Sony firmware released

Just a simple FW update is so finicky on Mac.... . I gave up after it froze my iMac 3 times. I did it using an old Windows laptop and it went straight through without any hitch. What gives?

May 08, 2018 at 11:29 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Sony firmware released

AGeoJO wrote:
Just a simple FW update is so finicky on Mac.... . I gave up after it froze my iMac 3 times. I did it using an old Windows laptop and it went straight through without any hitch. What gives?

Having trouble as well...

May 08, 2018 at 11:35 AM
seanoc
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Sony firmware released

I was able to update via a VMWare Win10 virtual machine on my iMac (windows update process).

Worked without any issue.

Sean

May 08, 2018 at 11:36 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Sony firmware released

Put camera USB connection on auto in menu. You can only use the Sony port too not the usb-c port

May 08, 2018 at 11:45 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Sony firmware released

Make sure you have a right cable. Some similar to Sony’s not always work

May 08, 2018 at 11:46 AM
maestrofilms
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Sony firmware released

GMPhotography wrote:
Put camera USB connection on auto in menu. You can only use the Sony port too not the usb-c port

I'm pretty sure you need USB to be in Mass Storage Mode

The instructions for this and every other firmware update specifically state that.

May 08, 2018 at 11:49 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Sony firmware released

It was just a real PITA. When it froze, I had to cold reboot each time; no other method seemed to work. The exact same cable worked without any issues using an old Windows-based laptop right away. I believe it is a 7-year old machine running Windows 7. I am glad that I didn't give that old laptop away. I used it also to upgrade my Godox FW that didn't come with any Mac OS version. There are days that I look back fondly at the old Windows system.... Here is one of them.

May 08, 2018 at 11:54 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Sony firmware released

all is well guys?
weddings this weekend!

May 08, 2018 at 11:59 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Sony firmware released

AGeoJO wrote:

I gave up after my 7th try on two separate Macs ( running the latest macOS 10.13.4) I was also seeing some weird bluetooth disconnects messages and my screen froze too while running the update. Never saw these symptoms before.

I also uninstalled and then reinstalled the Sony Mac 10.13 driver needed for macOS 10.13 but that didn't seem to help either.

May 08, 2018 at 12:09 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Sony firmware released

AGeoJO wrote:
It was just a real PITA. When it froze, I had to cold reboot each time; no other method seemed to work. The exact same cable worked without any issues using an old Windows-based laptop right away. I believe it is a 7-year old machine running Windows 7. I am glad that I didn't give that old laptop away. I used it also to upgrade my Godox FW that didn't come with any Mac OS version. There are days that I look back fondly at the old Windows system.... Here is one of them.

Did you install the last 10.13 update on your Mac..currently 10.13.4 ? I think this latest version might be the problem.

Someone on DPR got it to work with macOS 10.13.4. They had to reboot the computer after they installed the 10.13 Driver. I already had the driver installed so I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver but didn't reboot the computer after I reinstalled the driver. Will give that a try later tonight.

So much easier with the Leica M10 that updates via the SD Card. So much easier

Edited on May 08, 2018 at 12:25 PM · View previous versions

May 08, 2018 at 12:13 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.