Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2004 · Arcs Over Arch

thapamd
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Arcs Over Arch

You're looking at a 45 minute exposure of Mesa Arch in Canyonlands NP. I used a strong flashlight to illuminate the FG arch. I performed this exposure around 3:00 am so I could also catch the hint of morning glow in the horizon (the camera was pointed due east). Of course you couldn't see the morning glow, but over a 45 min period I knew the lighter horizon would show through. I illuminated the FG arch for about 2 minutes. After the 45 min exposure, the star trails looked very nice, but the horizon was blown out a bit too much for my taste, so I just took another exposure for 10 minutes which gave a nice warm glow to the horizon. Since I hadn't moved the tripod, I simply combined the two images in PS.

I was amazed at the battery life of 1DMkII. I performed four 45 minute exposures on a single battery and the LCD still showed full power! The temperature was in the mid 30's. Very impressive. Anywho...here's the image...Enjoy!

1DMkII
17-40 f/4 L lens
Bulb mode
45 min and 10 min exposures
f/4
ISO 100
Flash light used for 2 min to illuminate the FG arch.

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:05 AM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Arcs Over Arch

Hey, who needs sleep Very cool shot that you really worked for. If this is any indication of what is to come, I can hardly wait. BTW, did you get any sleep on the trip?

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:09 AM
fraid o clowns
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Arcs Over Arch

I appreciate the different approach you took photographing this infamous landmark. Well done sir.

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:10 AM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Arcs Over Arch

DonH wrote:
Hey, who needs sleep Very cool shot that you really worked for. If this is any indication of what is to come, I can hardly wait. BTW, did you get any sleep on the trip?

Thanks, bud! Sleep? What's sleep? Actually I did get pretty good rest on most nights as sunrise was around 7 am and sunset was around 5 pm...well, good rest except on those days I was doing star trails.

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:17 AM
PKuglin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Arcs Over Arch

Very clever Mahesh. You're always thinking.

Nice t see a difference representation of the Mesa Arch for a change. Well done.

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:17 AM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Arcs Over Arch

fraid o clowns wrote:
I appreciate the different approach you took photographing this infamous landmark. Well done sir.

Thanks, fraid of clowns! I'm glad this one was more to your liking than the Green River Overlook one. I aim to please!

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:18 AM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Arcs Over Arch

PKuglin wrote:
Very clever Mahesh. You're always thinking.

Nice t see a difference representation of the Mesa Arch for a change. Well done.

Thanks, Phil! I, of course, have the classic sunrise shot from this arch, but I also wanted to do somthing a little different. I'm glad you liked it, bud!

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:19 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Arcs Over Arch

That's just incredible. Thanks for the eye candy!
Love the cool colors contrasting with the golden light!

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:19 AM
Miter
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Arcs Over Arch

Mahesh

I have been waiting patiently for you to return to see your shots and I have not been disappointed. I can't wait to see the rest. Great Capture!

ps: I'll be down in Prescott, AZ for Christmas, so I hope to get lots of photos.

Dave

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:24 AM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Arcs Over Arch

Bravo Mahesh! Always searching for new and different ways!

Claude

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:44 AM
keithchan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Arcs Over Arch

Mahesh, great shot! Mesa Arch is one of my favorite places in the world, and I've never seen startrails there. I love it!

I've always wondered about startrails and long-exposure noise with my 1D2. Did you use background subtraction? Also, to save $$, I'm trying to use firewire/dSLRRemote to do the exposure rather than buy a TN-803, but my laptop (Thinkpad) and the cardbus firewire card can't recognize my 1D2. UGH!!!

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:45 AM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Arcs Over Arch

Fred Miranda wrote:
That's just incredible. Thanks for the eye candy!
Love the cool colors contrasting with the golden light!

Thank you, Fred! Yes, I agree...I too really like the contrasting cool and warm colors. I couldn't believe how blue the sky looked when I saw it on the LCD. There has been no boost in saturation here at all.

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:52 AM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Arcs Over Arch

Miter wrote:
Mahesh

I have been waiting patiently for you to return to see your shots and I have not been disappointed. I can't wait to see the rest. Great Capture!

ps: I'll be down in Prescott, AZ for Christmas, so I hope to get lots of photos.

Dave

Thank you, Dave! I have enough "good" shots to keep myself busy processing for the next month or so...hopefully others will like them as much too!

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:53 AM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Arcs Over Arch

Claude wrote:
Bravo Mahesh! Always searching for new and different ways!

Claude

Thank you, Claude! Ya, when it's 3 in the morning and you're too excited to fall asleep, inspiration comes knocking.

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:54 AM
thapamd
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Arcs Over Arch

keithchan wrote:
Mahesh, great shot! Mesa Arch is one of my favorite places in the world, and I've never seen startrails there. I love it!

I've always wondered about startrails and long-exposure noise with my 1D2. Did you use background subtraction? Also, to save $$, I'm trying to use firewire/dSLRRemote to do the exposure rather than buy a TN-803, but my laptop (Thinkpad) and the cardbus firewire card can't recognize my 1D2. UGH!!!

Thank you, Keith! Nope, didn't use background subtraction at all. The lack of long exposure noise on the 1D2 can't be beat. I don't like background subtraction because I can see some loss of detail, it takes as long as the exposure, and there isn't that big of a difference in the noise reduction.

That's a bummer about the cable not working. I've never shot with the camera hooked up to my laptop. Good luck!

Nov 21, 2004 at 02:57 AM
loudtiger
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Arcs Over Arch

wow, great framing! i would've never thought to do this... very creative.

Nov 21, 2004 at 04:00 AM
Javier Rey
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Arcs Over Arch

Glorious experiment and impressive shot.
Sincere congrats, Mahesh.

Javier

Nov 21, 2004 at 06:39 AM
John Smeets
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Arcs Over Arch

marvolous shot and technique mahesh eehhh 2 minutes flash? i,m puzzled

Nov 21, 2004 at 06:46 AM
steve g
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Arcs Over Arch

Simply simply amazing. I'm speechless. Just wonderful.

Nov 21, 2004 at 08:15 AM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Arcs Over Arch

Spectacular rendition... to me this is a very original take on a beautiful scene. Looking forward to seeing more...

Nov 21, 2004 at 08:23 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.