Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2018 · Wet wedding

nick williams
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wet wedding

I wish every couple were this brave when it rains. They did not care how heavy it was, they just wanted to have fun.

© nick williams 2018

© nick williams 2018

© nick williams 2018

© nick williams 2018

Jan 17, 2018 at 05:57 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wet wedding

No back lit rain shot? J/k

Nice job and great couple by the sounds of things. Pulling it out on a wet day is one of the really frustrations shooting weddings here.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:15 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wet wedding

Done well, even more so considering the weather conditions.

Glad you had a couple who played ball too.

I was shooting at a beautiful snow covered venue a few weeks ago and the bride didn't want to go for a wander. Gutted.

My only crit would be the images with dutch tilt. Doesn't work for me.

Jan 18, 2018 at 05:39 AM
nick williams
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wet wedding

I aways thought it was called a french tilt

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:32 AM
compasiune11

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wet wedding

I like the people had a good attitude, ever it rained!

Jan 25, 2018 at 08:03 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wet wedding

nick williams wrote:
I aways thought it was called a french tilt

Sorry to rain on your wedding...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle

Jan 27, 2018 at 06:32 AM
nick williams
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wet wedding

BKphotography wrote:
Sorry to rain on your wedding...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle

Can I call it the Devon tilt

Feb 20, 2018 at 09:23 AM
ShaneMD
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wet wedding

Hey man.

Nice photos. The tilt is bang on the same in all of them Eventually you'll look back and then realize when tilting added an element of lines and composition or if it was just...tilt.

I'd also suggest some logo work, by a pro if you don't mind my opinion. It isn't worth much from a guy who is terrible at branding so don't hate me.

Mar 09, 2018 at 06:35 PM
Routy03

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wet wedding

Great pictures

Mar 11, 2018 at 04:01 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wet wedding

Glad it worked out OK. Something that brides and their mothers never seem to appreciate is that it can rain on the wedding day and it is good to have a Plan B should that happen.

I wear shoes that are waterproof as I am more at the mercy of the conditions than the members of the wedding party and long after the rain has stopped the ground will be wet and or muddy.

I bring a couple of golf type umbrellas that are very large, just in case. I also advise, unsuccessfully for the most part, against hiring a limo. Even in good weather they are terrible as passengers need to crawl in and then crawl out while wearing long dresses. Even worse for the bride.

Mar 13, 2018 at 06:44 PM
Brian Sullivan
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wet wedding

Nice set. It's always nice when couples enjoy their day regardless of the weather!

b

Mar 14, 2018 at 09:32 AM
ryanmurray

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wet wedding

God, you're beautiful, but I'm so scared of the rain at my wedding. In just a month, we're going to have an open-air wedding in a nature reserve (https://www.elopetogatlinburg.com/cabin-weddings). And all the hydrometeorological companies transmit torrential rains on this day, although they try to reassure us that the wedding will turn out even more mysterious in this weather. But after looking at your photos, I was really delighted, and now I am fully prepared for any weather. They are insanely emotional and lively, and it feels like you are pleased and carefree. So I think we should stock up on a couple of umbrellas and raincoats and try to repeat your successful experience.

Edited on Jun 02, 2021 at 02:45 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2021 at 01:51 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wet wedding

What a ... nice day for a ... WET wedding

May 28, 2021 at 08:09 AM
TheChris

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wet wedding

Nice job. The umbrella makes all the picture looks great

May 28, 2021 at 10:37 AM
pasblues
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wet wedding

Can you help me out by commenting on if your own self and gear was shielded from the rain - or not? I just had a bride say to me "if it rains we can get some nice rain shots" - and I'm thinking "I'm not taking $10K worth of gear out in the rain and what couple wants to get their clothing and hair wet on their wedding day?"

But the brides see this stuff on Pinterest and there's no discussion like that to accompany the photos - so they don't know the reality of getting photos like this.

May 28, 2021 at 04:22 PM
Leica28

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wet wedding

I have always believed that the best images come from the worst weather conditions.

Jun 28, 2021 at 01:36 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wet wedding

pasblues wrote:
Can you help me out by commenting on if your own self and gear was shielded from the rain - or not? I just had a bride say to me "if it rains we can get some nice rain shots" - and I'm thinking "I'm not taking $10K worth of gear out in the rain and what couple wants to get their clothing and hair wet on their wedding day?"

But the brides see this stuff on Pinterest and there's no discussion like that to accompany the photos - so they don't know the reality of getting photos like this.
...Show more

Whatever a b&g can take out in bad weather... your gear can too.

flashes... they will need a large plastic bag (thinking 1 gallon freezer zip-lock bags).

Jun 28, 2021 at 06:39 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wet wedding

Nice images. solid work.

2 thoughts:
1) lots of couple in the center images.
2) the tilt is too extreme. back it off about half and you are golden.

Jun 28, 2021 at 06:42 PM
pasblues
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wet wedding

Ziffl3 wrote:
Whatever a b&g can take out in bad weather... your gear can too.

flashes... they will need a large plastic bag (thinking 1 gallon freezer zip-lock bags).

I respect that others have a different point of view. I do get that you are qualifying this by saying that whatever the couples can tolerate, so can gear.

But personally and professionally, I will not take a $3K+ camera body and $2K lenses out in the rain for wedding photos. I have a lot of insurance on my gear but it's not going to cover me making a decision to expose it to conditions that are not recommended. I am certainly not going to expose a flash to any amount of water.

Particularly with zoom lenses, water is very destructive - and no manufacturer is saying that their stuff is waterproof. It's only water resistant.

Again, I respect that others feel differently. But I've made it clear to my clients that rain is not a place where I will be taking my gear out to do a shoot. Ultimately, I am responsible for the care and repair of my gear - the couple is not going to take responsibility for that - so I have to draw the line for myself.

I likely felt differently back in the film days where gear was less expensive and quite a bit more simple. Today's little computers are a lot more prone to damage. I've seen enough Lens Rental breakdowns to tell me that any assignment that would require me to do some extreme photography would also require whoever wants that photography to be liable for the equipment damage.

Jun 29, 2021 at 09:31 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wet wedding

pasblues wrote:
I respect that others have a different point of view. I do get that you are qualifying this by saying that whatever the couples can tolerate, so can gear.

But personally and professionally, I will not take a $3K+ camera body and $2K lenses out in the rain for wedding photos. I have a lot of insurance on my gear but it's not going to cover me making a decision to expose it to conditions that are not recommended. I am certainly not going to expose a flash to any amount of water.

Particularly with zoom lenses, water is very
...Show more

Thats cool....
but your gear can take quite a bit. just saying.

I am not advocating find every rain storm.... but a couple of shots and then tuck under arm and your gear will be fine.
Sprinkling and light rain... been there done that.... no issues.

Jun 29, 2021 at 07:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.